Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is there an inline fuel filter besides the Onan filter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Is there an inline fuel filter besides the Onan filter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2015 Forest River work and play. It has a fuel station and an Onan mounted on the nose. Yesterday it was running fine then quit, it has 25hrs on generator, previous owner used it very little.
So i checked the filter behind the fuel pump and it was clear, the pump ran constantly and was not picking up fuel. i used a small hose into a fuel can to eliminate the long fuel line from the rear of the trailer and still nothing.
This morning it started and i ran it 3 hours underload. Since I had the unit, about 6 weeks now I have put 10 hrs on generator.

My thoughts are a clogged fuel filter someplace else. electric fuel pumps don't repair themselves overnite. With the fuel station and pump nozzle on the rear, is there another fuel filter somewhere?
Reminds me of the urban legends about a plastic bag in the fuel tank sucking up to the line and clogging it....

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

Reminds me of the urban legends about a plastic bag in the fuel tank sucking up to the line and clogging it....

Or the coke bottle inside the door post on a car with a note that said "Annoying, wasn't it?"

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first guess would be check the oil level. I'm betting that generator has a low oil cut-off. As oil gets moved up into the motor the level drops enough to shut it down. After it sits the oil trickles back down allowing it to run until enough gets back up into the motor.
Along those same lines, is the unit level?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much fuel is in the tank?
If like a MH it has to have at least 1/4 tank.
Take fuel line loose and blow towards tank listening for bubbles. Blows but no bubbles means not enough fuel in tank.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

feel the fuel line, if it's really soft it's possible the ethanol has eaten it, had my 2007 Rage'n do that, had to replace the rubber hoses with "modern" hose. Slit the hose to look at it and it was all eaten up and cracked from the inside out, it was actually starting to leak!

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

How much fuel is in the tank?
If like a MH it has to have at least 1/4 tank.
Take fuel line loose and blow towards tank listening for bubbles. Blows but no bubbles means not enough fuel in tank.

Toy haulers don't have that "feature" it's there to keep you from being stranded because your MH is out of gas from running the generator, don't have that issue with a trailer.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

i used a small hose into a fuel can to eliminate the long fuel line from the rear of the trailer and still nothing.
This morning it started and i ran it 3 hours underload. Since I had the unit, about 6 weeks now I have put 10 hrs on generator.
THe next morning did it run from your small piece of fuel line into a gas can? Or did you pull fuel from the toyhauler fuel tank?

THe older Onans did have a second fuel filter right before the carb. Or was that a regulator? THat part leaked on us while camping and we omited it.

Several ways to test your issue. Easiest way is look at the carb. On the fuel bowl there is a drain. Get a water bottle and stick it under the drain, loosen the screw and hit the primer button. That will show you how much fuel is making its way to the fuel bowl. Is also a quick way to determine if a clogged fuel filter sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. For example next time the genny dies just pop the drain open and hit prime. If very little fuel drains out that could be a sign of a clogged filter.

My girlfriends trailer is the older onan where we omitted the regulator. Some years i have to loosen the fuel line and use a mighty vac to suck fuel up to the genny. The pump just cant do it sometimes.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a new owner I changed the oil after this happened. I would think the original oil was in there with the generator having only 15 hrs.

The fuel pump ran constantly, it didn't draw fuel up then stop like it should. I had the main fuel line hooked up so it was drawing

from the tank. The fuel tank has a pump to fill your toys and a fuel gauge. My last trip i topped off the tank, added fuel conditioner and all was well.

I have no specs on this unit so i don't know how much fuel the tank holds, it's pretty big.

The trailer is not far off from being level, it's in my backyard.

Fuel line failure. I haden't thought of that one. I am going to check that out for sure.

This trailer came from South Carolina and spent most of its time stored on a military base.

I did order a pump and filter from Bezos so i am going to change it. Maybe the ethanol ate the pump from sitting? IDK. Easier to do it here than on a fishing trip.

I am going to run it more today and see what happens. Thanks for your help guys.....

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could it be a venting problem? Try cracking your gas cap while it runs under a load.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And to address your question about the fuel filter, I think Onan deleted the fuel filters at some point because they caused more problems than they solved. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Is there an inline fuel filter besides the Onan filter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.