cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical fire

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
If this post is not in the correct spot , mods plz move it to where ut should be thanks.

last night i had an electrical fire and lost a large portion of my engine harness. Im on the lower mainland of British Columbia and will be spending most of today phoning local wreaking yards looking for a new harness.

I posted wondering if anyone may have input or know where one may be found. I dont know where I would begin to look for a totally new unit or how much that would cost but will probably look into it if I'm not successful at local yards first.

It's a 79 empress on a dodge d300 chassis. So 440-3/727/d70 basically identical to other late 70s winnys.

Any input is appreciated thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
Alternator started to smoke, thought i could have had the fld wires backwards but the drawing shows a top and bottom and they are placed correctly in that aspect.

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
Ballast resistor had 1.4 ohms on one half and 5.2 on the other. Jumped between 4 and 4 ohms between the pos and neg on coil. Then 12k ohms between positive and the coil output.

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
The voltage regulators connector was melted inside so I made some temporary connections to it but still no spark. There was a new ecu in a box when I bought the rv so I put that on and still no difference.

Any thoughts on what else may have gotten too hot?

Where im at now is to try a totally new coil and ballast resistor tomorrow and more batteries for my multimeter because its been useless for this

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaned battery connections and starter connections, re cleaned everything on the relay. Still nothing. Bypassed the relay qnd it cranks but didn't start. Pulled a spark plug and found i dont have spark even bypassing the relay. I had a spare coil with me so put that in but no better.
Having problems with my multimeter to. Jyst put new batteries in it and its showing low batt.

Will continue searching

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is possible that it is not getting full 12 volts to energize it. Neutral safety switch?
Wasn't able to get hold of neighbor kid for the red and black wired sensor. Still trying!
Just saw on 8-159, top right diagram shows a red and black for the neutral safety switch.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
New startwr relay but the relay is still making a buzzing noise?

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
Got everything buttoned up minus the connector and a bolt I dropped. Cranked it over to see what would happen and it appears I need a new starter relay.
So far not too pretty bad.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am trying to get hold of kid down the road to look at his. Might be tomorrow

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
I see the 18or/bk wire but I think thats mounted on the front of my engine. I unscrewed the 3 prong outlet in question and it goes into the same chamber as the oil pressure sensor.

The oil pressure sensor has one white wire going to it reflected in the diagram . And the 3 prong connector in question only utilizes 2 prongs, red/pos and blue/neg, these were the colors it had before and I kept those colors after. Im simply not finding it on the diagram.

I'm going to continue with the other final things and worst case scenario I just try to start it without that connected.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Drawing show an 18 or/blk wire feeding temperature gauge on rear of engine near oil pressure sending unit.
See 18-151 and 153

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I though the 440 only came with the 727 transmission and that reverse switch is mounted right near or on the shifter pod on the transmission, driver side just above the pan. Three pins the best I recall. Send me a picture to my email. Justforyu@msn.com

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
Still having difficulty with pictures.

Looking from the back of the motor to the front, what is the thing to the right of the oil pressure sensor? The negative wire was a dead end and I'm having difficulty finding it on the drawing. I think its the reverse light switch but im not sure?

The harness is mostly put back together. Just have some more light wiring on non engine harness stuff that was damaged to fix then redo some fuel line

Diegopy94
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the diagram.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
1979 Dodge diagnostic connector? Did someone switch out the motor? Don't remember that old of a vehicle having them.
Sure enough this old source shows diagnostic connector. Look on about 8-150
Wiring diagrams

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow