Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Nothern Lite on a flatbed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Nothern Lite on a flatbed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's because in 2011 the F450 pickup wasn't a true class 4 truck . It had the same rear axle rating as an F350 , the same 17" wheels and tires . It did have a heavier chassis and larger brakes . It was designed to tow not to a carry a load . Because it weighed more it had less payload than an F350 in the same configuration . The cab chassis version is a different story .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J.Duncan wrote:

I have just recently purchased a 2011 Northern Lite 10'2 special edition and am now shopping for the truck to put it on. I believe we have found it but I was thinking about putting it on a flat bed and then adding boxes under the flat bed and also in the dead space of the flat bed and camper on the top side. Anyone ever done this before? Am I not trying to spend $30,000 on a sherptec flat bed. I was wondering if anyone had on on a standard CM or other commercially flat bed and what their experiences may have been. Do you need to get special or custom jack extensions, did you? Thanks in advance for your time.

It's been done a few times... sheepishly said. It's pretty common actually. Self promotion here, link to our last build:

Click to open thread with Flatbed Build

We just got back from 3 weeks on the road... which makes about 6 weeks out so far since this one was finished this spring.

And someone wrote that they're "ugly"...I find it humorous, as it's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, a big box apartment stuck on a std truck just looks weird to me. Add in the practical side of flat vs std p/u, and it's a no brainer.

To answer your question, pretty much any flatbed sitting on a truck will work. Add boxes and drive. Hell, the boxes (good boxes....fine print there) probably cost more than an off the shelf bed.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '11 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

skidsteerpilot

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. '11 10-2 on '17 F-350 flatbed. Just made the change and updated the site. https://thegreygoose.net/wp/2020/10/27/truck-upgrade/. Please overlook the sites home page image, that hasn't been updated yet.

* This post was edited 10/27/20 08:14pm by skidsteerpilot *

The Grey Goose
2017 Ford 350 DRW Flatbed / 2012 Northern-Lite 10-2
https://thegreygoose.net

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Nothern Lite on a flatbed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.