Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My New Flatbed Camper!!!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we got it all together!

We got a new 2019 Dodge 4500 cab and chassis, a Hillsboro aluminum flatbed, Torklift Fast Guns, and a 2008 Lance 1181

We are looking at getting some tool boxes to put under the wings to add more storage

More / larger pictures here.
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site
18 REPLIES 18

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
portscanner wrote:

Im not worried about problems when they are swung in, I am concerned about the stress when slung out. The longer you extend the jack away from the body of the camper, the more torque the weight of the tc can put on the mounting of the jack

Yep. Definitely a consideration. Maybe worth bringing along 4 of those Alum jack stands so you can drop the rig down on them to take some of the weight.

portscanner wrote:
Also, given I am on a flatbed that is 9 feet long - the tiedowns only go to the bed where there is a rail to do a tiedown. Not using the frame mounted tie downs. In addition, with the 9 foot bed, the jack wont swing all the way in to the locking mechanism that is built into the hinge. I am temporarily using a strap to hold the jack in so it wont swing around while driving. I got an idea for an alternative method for securing it. Will share it if it works.

Something like an Alum turn buckle might be good. One with a hook on one end. Rubber and rope always degrade in the sun.
Interested to see what you do. ๐Ÿ™‚
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:

Youโ€™re correct that extending them too far will also cause problems when they are swung in. When theyโ€™re fully retracted, the pad at the bottom of the jack tubes come very close to the front Torklift tiedowns when theyโ€™re swung in.

:):)

Im not worried about problems when they are swung in, I am concerned about the stress when slung out. The longer you extend the jack away from the body of the camper, the more torque the weight of the tc can put on the mounting of the jack

Also, given I am on a flatbed that is 9 feet long - the tiedowns only go to the bed where there is a rail to do a tiedown. Not using the frame mounted tie downs. In addition, with the 9 foot bed, the jack wont swing all the way in to the locking mechanism that is built into the hinge. I am temporarily using a strap to hold the jack in so it wont swing around while driving. I got an idea for an alternative method for securing it. Will share it if it works.
One beautiful wife
Web Site

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
I would also take a look at how the front jacks are mounted to the camper, and improve them if needed. Lance did a pretty good job of mounting mine, using a heavy sheet metal angle bracket on the inside, and all of the jack mount bolts go through the wood frame and the inner bracket. The bolts are thread-cutting type, but I put nuts and washers on them so I could tighten them up more without tearing out of the sheet metal. I have about an inch of clearance between the fenders and the front jacks with the extensions.

Youโ€™re correct that extending them too far will also cause problems when they are swung in. When theyโ€™re fully retracted, the pad at the bottom of the jack tubes come very close to the front Torklift tiedowns when theyโ€™re swung in.

Ah yes, the tie-downs! Another consideration when planning. This is why I ask those that have done. The voice of experience is always good!
I'd love to see manufacturers put a plate across the bottom of the jack mounting brackets for the camper corners to sit on. Would take some of the shear stress and weight off the mounting bolts. Though would require so degree of universality on the part of TC builders.
Thanks!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I would also take a look at how the front jacks are mounted to the camper, and improve them if needed. Lance did a pretty good job of mounting mine, using a heavy sheet metal angle bracket on the inside, and all of the jack mount bolts go through the wood frame and the inner bracket. The bolts are thread-cutting type, but I put nuts and washers on them so I could tighten them up more without tearing out of the sheet metal. I have about an inch of clearance between the fenders and the front jacks with the extensions.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
Bert, I had to do something similar on mine to clear the fenders on the F450. Itโ€™s apparently a few inches wider the F350 I used to have.

I bought some flat stock at Loweโ€™s, and sandwiched the jack mounting tab and the swing out between two of them.

Thanks! That looks nice and clean. I like the sandwich method. I guess it's a bit of a balance of getting maximum fender clearance while not having them bang into the truck when folded in, as well.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
portscanner wrote:

Well, it should not be rocket surgery for someone named "Bert the Welder", I had a local machine shop cut me some steel the same thickness as the tabs on the jacks, 2 inches wide, 12 inches long (I think) and put 6 holes in it. I got some grade 8 bolts and put the jack back on. I wanted to make it as small as possible and still get the legs wide enough to get the truck underneath. There is enough stress on those swing out legs without sticking them out further with extensions.

See below:

Thanks for the pic's. I've got scads of plate laying around. Was more a question of unthought of, on my part, issues, like them still folding back properly, added stress to the mounting bolts,etc. Never actually seen a set up close, in person.
Got some naval armor plate that might be strong enough....:B

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Bert, I had to do something similar on mine to clear the fenders on the F450. Itโ€™s apparently a few inches wider the F350 I used to have.

I bought some flat stock at Loweโ€™s, and sandwiched the jack mounting tab and the swing out between two of them.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
I would recommend these if your still looking for steps.

yes the top loop can fold down out of the way ๐Ÿ™‚

I suggested a very similar solution and SWMBO shot it down as the fur campers would be be able to use it. As soon as I complete the solution SWMBO approved, I will be posting it here.

Kayteg1 wrote:

Is that becouse you have the strap bar on side, what makes bed wider, than 8' ?

Yup. Adds another 2-3 inches (dont remember the exact measurement)

Bert the Welder wrote:

Thanks! Was wondering in another post if anyone had done this. Would you have any pic's of these extension plates?
Thanks!

Well, it should not be rocket surgery for someone named "Bert the Welder", I had a local machine shop cut me some steel the same thickness as the tabs on the jacks, 2 inches wide, 12 inches long (I think) and put 6 holes in it. I got some grade 8 bolts and put the jack back on. I wanted to make it as small as possible and still get the legs wide enough to get the truck underneath. There is enough stress on those swing out legs without sticking them out further with extensions.

See below:

One beautiful wife
Web Site

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend these if your still looking for steps.

yes the top loop can fold down out of the way ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner wrote:

Horizontally - even with the swing out hinges on the front jacks, I saw it would not clear the bed. I had a local machine shop create 2 plates that added one more inch of width on each side which gave me 3/4" on each side as I put the truck under the camper.

Is that becouse you have the strap bar on side, what makes bed wider, than 8' ?

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
portscanner wrote:

Horizontally - even with the swing out hinges on the front jacks, I saw it would not clear the bed. I had a local machine shop create 2 plates that added one more inch of width on each side which gave me 3/4" on each side as I put the truck under the camper.

Thanks! Was wondering in another post if anyone had done this. Would you have any pic's of these extension plates?
Thanks!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
Congrats! That looks fantastic!!!
How's getting the truck backed under? From the pic's, the legs almost look like they're touching the bed! Very toit!
Given the storage room, I'm surprised more people don't go this route.

leg clearance:
Vertically - when i loaded it - I put 2 pieces of 2x8x12 under every jack to get me 3 more inches vertically

One beautiful wife
Web Site

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That is nice toy hauler
Flatbeds go about 4" higher than regural beds, but what the advantage in stuff hauling.
For steps ideas go to the thread HERE
My dogs approved final design.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonderful truck camper hauler. Thanks for posting the nice pictures.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.