Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: clicking - water heater
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> clicking - water heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the state of your house batteries? If your WH turns off when the converter is off, it may be because it is not getting enough power from 12v system.

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've tried it with the house battery both ON and OFF...same result.
Not the ignitor, this is electric only. But that is another issue. The ignitor does not cycle when on gas (yes the gas is ON and the cooktop works.
It is a click, not an arc. Sounds come from control box on the back which I can not get to without removing the entire w/h.

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is why I asked how close to the WH the Converter is. Atwood Water Heaters will buzz/click in normal operation. On LP you cannot hear this due to the flame. On 120, you hear this because 120 is silent. It is NORMAL. Doug

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Atwood Water Heaters will buzz/click in normal operation. Doug

I'm glad you posted this. I owned a MH for 10 years with an Atwood and never heard the water heater buzz, but when I bought my TT, I have occasionally heard it buzz when heating. I have been worried about it, but couldn't find anything to explain it.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

That is why I asked how close to the WH the Converter is. Atwood Water Heaters will buzz/click in normal operation. On LP you cannot hear this due to the flame. On 120, you hear this because 120 is silent. It is NORMAL. Doug

Doug,

This is a constant click that sounds like a circuit rapidly cutting in & out until the water reaches temperature. So this is normal? Any idea what causes it?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If 2004 or newer model that clicking is the DC Relay that closes to allow AC to the element
It is failing
DC Relay and element are inside that protective cover on backside of WH Tank

Never heard any of my RV water heater electric elements click or any clicking from an electric residential WH
Heard them 'buzz' from scale/calcium build up but no CLICKING

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

If 2004 or newer model that clicking is the DC Relay that closes to allow AC to the element
It is failing

Never heard any of my RV water heater electric elements click or any clicking from an electric residential WH

That makes perfect sense as it sounds like a relay switch opening/closing. Only $10 on Amazon. Certainly worth a try, Thanks!

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

It is failing

He has a 2015 model. The relay may indeed be bad. BUT, a way to test is to install a AC amp meter on the circuit and see if you have loss of amp draw during the clicking. AND, IF the clicking is at the BACK of the WH, then the relay would be suspect. IF at the front, then no. BUT, I would also test the YELLOW wire at the Circuit Board for intermittant 12 volts. That is the activation wire for the Relay. IF the yellow has on and off 12 volts, the circuit board is BAD. Doug

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete delete

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

It is failing

He has a 2015 model. The relay may indeed be bad. BUT, a way to test is to install a AC amp meter on the circuit and see if you have loss of amp draw during the clicking. AND, IF the clicking is at the BACK of the WH, then the relay would be suspect. IF at the front, then no. BUT, I would also test the YELLOW wire at the Circuit Board for intermittant 12 volts. That is the activation wire for the Relay. IF the yellow has on and off 12 volts, the circuit board is BAD. Doug

Click is definitely coming from the back not the front. Sounds to be coming from the metal box.

Yellow wire spikes between 5.x and 12.x with each click. NEG to drain plug if that makes any difference.

Will have to take garage apart again to test the AC in the back and we are pulling out shortly. Will test tomorrow when we get to the next CG.

Thanks for the help!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> clicking - water heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.