cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP gas Regulator... better brands?

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
So one thing I can’t understand. I have a rental townhouse that I’ve had since the 80’s.
It has natural gas service. I guess there is a gas regulator on it, but I wouldn’t know...CAUSE ITS NEVER EVER BEEN A PROBLEM IN THIRTY YEARS !

Then how come i am now preparing to change out my two tank regulator for the second time in four years?

I did the percussive tuning thing before. I tried whacking it again and no dice this time.

It’s a Camco model.
Is there a better brand choice?

Thanks
groundhogy
20 REPLIES 20

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for your input!
I think I can order another regulator now.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes that is true. Many do insist on manual control so that they do not run out. So this is fairly common.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:
So.. the functioning of the automatic switchover doesn’t require the propane pressure to exist at both ports? Hmm.

... I can turn an automatic unit into a non-automatic by simply turning off the second tank...
Like most things in life you listen to what lots of people say and then have to form your own opinions.

I personally keep only 1 tank open. My secondary tank is closed at the main valve.

A friend who has owned trailers for years and dealt with leaking regulators once told me they like having pressure on both sides. Leave both tanks open.

Going back to forming you own opinion. I pretty much asked the same question as you last month. Couple people told me im wrong to think RV propane regulators fail often. I disagree with that statement because i camp with people who tell me stories of having to replace their regulators that are not very old.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
So.. the functioning of the automatic switchover doesn’t require the propane pressure to exist at both ports? Hmm.

... I can turn an automatic unit into a non-automatic by simply turning off the second tank...

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Simple. It's cheaply made poorly manufactured ****. I have replaced so many parts on my rig just for this reason. They should be ashamed. But then again we keep buying it for lack of alternatives. They are lucky the japanese have not got into the game
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
groundhogy wrote:
AUTOMATIC SWITCHOVER REGULATORS:

So I am reviewing the Cavagna brand regulators. This seems to be a quality company, but they only offer the automatic tank switching regulator.

My fear with this style is that I will wake up with no propane, go outside and find that it had switched and I now have two empty tanks. Does this happen?
If you check once a day it is not an issue. OK maybe at -10F or below. Cavagna is much easier to read and the indicator snaps into place when the primary is ready to be filled. Indicator is large and clear. If conditions are extreme or propane is difficult at the location I would recommend you carry a third cylinder. Very very few would ever need this and would apply same no matter the regulator.

I had a Marshall and it was hard to see exactly when the first was empty. Indicator is very small and kinda creeps up leaving a bit of guess work.

Take a look at the Cavagna pigtails too. They have a thicker steel band with a superior crimp.

If you really must have manual control of the propane you can just turn the secondary cylinder off at the valve. Then you no longer have to check the regulator because no propane will be the indicator to fill the primary cylinder. No trouble at 3pm, pitn at 3am. Your call.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Even the regulators with the dial you switch by hand also automatically change over.

Negative is you have less available power when in secondary mode. Turn the switch by hand to the new full tank and you're back to full power.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
AUTOMATIC SWITCHOVER REGULATORS:

So I am reviewing the Cavagna brand regulators. This seems to be a quality company, but they only offer the automatic tank switching regulator.

My fear with this style is that I will wake up with no propane, go outside and find that it had switched and I now have two empty tanks. Does this happen?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Marshall Brass is now Marshall Excelsior.

About 2 years ago I replaced the original Marshall regulator on my camper because it wouldn’t adjust with a new MEGR253H.

Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H

It’s working well, and I try to check and adjust the LP pressure annually. I’d recommend getting a digital manometer as well.

Digital Manometer

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
X43 on Marshall Brass
Make sure you get the correct one, which ever you get the vent should be facing down!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Marshall Brass...best there is.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oil in the propane is a supply issue. Need to fill somewhere else after you replace the equipment.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
If I have to do this job yet again..
I would like to install a quality piece of ... hardware.

Things break around here so fast, I don’t like to do the same fix over and over. I can’t keep up. Lol

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this happened before.
At that time, I blew air from the oven/range connection to the tank area. I had the connection at the tank open. A bit of oil came out but otherwise clear.

Troubleshooted it down to the regulator.

Got pissed and smacked the **** out of the regulator and it decided to start working again.