Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: LP gas Regulator... better brands?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LP gas Regulator... better brands?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marshall Brass...best there is.

Happy Trails ">
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X43 on Marshall Brass
Make sure you get the correct one, which ever you get the vent should be facing down!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marshall Brass is now Marshall Excelsior.

About 2 years ago I replaced the original Marshall regulator on my camper because it wouldn’t adjust with a new MEGR253H.

Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H

It’s working well, and I try to check and adjust the LP pressure annually. I’d recommend getting a digital manometer as well.

Digital Manometer

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AUTOMATIC SWITCHOVER REGULATORS:

So I am reviewing the Cavagna brand regulators. This seems to be a quality company, but they only offer the automatic tank switching regulator.

My fear with this style is that I will wake up with no propane, go outside and find that it had switched and I now have two empty tanks. Does this happen?

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even the regulators with the dial you switch by hand also automatically change over.

Negative is you have less available power when in secondary mode. Turn the switch by hand to the new full tank and you're back to full power.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

AUTOMATIC SWITCHOVER REGULATORS:

So I am reviewing the Cavagna brand regulators. This seems to be a quality company, but they only offer the automatic tank switching regulator.

My fear with this style is that I will wake up with no propane, go outside and find that it had switched and I now have two empty tanks. Does this happen?
If you check once a day it is not an issue. OK maybe at -10F or below. Cavagna is much easier to read and the indicator snaps into place when the primary is ready to be filled. Indicator is large and clear. If conditions are extreme or propane is difficult at the location I would recommend you carry a third cylinder. Very very few would ever need this and would apply same no matter the regulator.

I had a Marshall and it was hard to see exactly when the first was empty. Indicator is very small and kinda creeps up leaving a bit of guess work.

Take a look at the Cavagna pigtails too. They have a thicker steel band with a superior crimp.

If you really must have manual control of the propane you can just turn the secondary cylinder off at the valve. Then you no longer have to check the regulator because no propane will be the indicator to fill the primary cylinder. No trouble at 3pm, pitn at 3am. Your call.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple. It's cheaply made poorly manufactured ****. I have replaced so many parts on my rig just for this reason. They should be ashamed. But then again we keep buying it for lack of alternatives. They are lucky the japanese have not got into the game

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So.. the functioning of the automatic switchover doesn’t require the propane pressure to exist at both ports? Hmm.

... I can turn an automatic unit into a non-automatic by simply turning off the second tank...

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

So.. the functioning of the automatic switchover doesn’t require the propane pressure to exist at both ports? Hmm.

... I can turn an automatic unit into a non-automatic by simply turning off the second tank...
Like most things in life you listen to what lots of people say and then have to form your own opinions.

I personally keep only 1 tank open. My secondary tank is closed at the main valve.

A friend who has owned trailers for years and dealt with leaking regulators once told me they like having pressure on both sides. Leave both tanks open.

Going back to forming you own opinion. I pretty much asked the same question as you last month. Couple people told me im wrong to think RV propane regulators fail often. I disagree with that statement because i camp with people who tell me stories of having to replace their regulators that are not very old.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that is true. Many do insist on manual control so that they do not run out. So this is fairly common.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LP gas Regulator... better brands?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.