Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: AV gas for the generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AV gas for the generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run 100% gas in all my small engines. The gen is made to run on that ethanol blend, but ethanol still breaks down and makes a mess, so I try to not do it and if I do I run it completly out then add 100% back in for even short storage.

You can get quality gas, racing fuel, at a motorcycle shop. They sell it in steel buckets, and in a steel container the gas will store for a lot longer than a plastic container. It is high octane, and easier to get that AV fuel as its just on the shelf at a motorcycle shop.

I dont bother. I dont need that extra boost as I am not racing... lol

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

The gen is made to run on that ethanol blend, but ethanol still breaks down and makes a mess,
Yes exactly that. We deal with what we can get. I buy StarTron ethanol treatment and try to talk myself into thinking its working. Im in charge of maintaining around 15 small engines. My nightmare is having a camping trip coming up and having to deal with all the issues that ethanol gas causes.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read that it's advisable to run 91 or 93 in engines with infrequent use like snowblowers, etc and also to use it for 2 cycle mix in chainsaws, weedwackers and the like. The thinking is that hi test contains more detergents and additives and helps keep carbs cleaner in engines that don't see frequent use. I've never heard of using AV gas, but sounds like it's an extension of that same thinking.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice post thanks. Negative to AV gas that people mentioned is that its leaded. Not good for catalytic converters that you find on automobiles as they are really expensive to replace.

I used to put my old leaded motorcycle gas into my truck. 2003 silverado. At some point someone told me nah man that will kill your cat and its expensive to replace. In some states smog checks are a pain.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have explained better by saying that running old leaded gas through a truck could end up costing you a lot more money if your catalytic converter fails at a smog check.

Pretty sure they are over a thousand. Its something ridiculous.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Nice post thanks. Negative to AV gas that people mentioned is that its leaded. Not good for catalytic converters that you find on automobiles as they are really expensive to replace.

I used to put my old leaded motorcycle gas into my truck. 2003 silverado. At some point someone told me nah man that will kill your cat and its expensive to replace. In some states smog checks are a pain.

Leaded gas also causes fouled spark plugs and deposits elsewhere (exhaust valves in particular), and as I understand it is incompatible with fully synthetic motor oils. Leaded fuels, when they were common, were one of the largest contributors to lead in the general environment and towards lead levels in people.

I find it rather astounding that people will spend extra money to get leaded gasoline for their generators--which are not designed or specified by the manufacturer to operate on--in order to avoid ethanol, which the manufacturer specifically approves and permits.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Do you capitalize words to help yourself feel like you are being heard? Or do you capitalize words because you feel the general public lacks reading comprehension?

READING COMPREHENSION for not only you but others that totally insist that one can just walk up and buy AV gas..

Same goes for "racing gas" which is often mentioned, have several dirt tracks (one is part of the World of Outlaws events), they too do not sell to the general public. That fuel is not road taxed. To get that you MUST have a valid ENTRY PASS for that day/evening of racing.

In my opinion it makes you look insecure. Like when a kid screams and stomps his feet. Thinking that will make the parents listen better.

Well now that you point that out, obviously YOU are insecure and stomping YOUR feet because someone injected some real world common sense into your little tiny world.

E10 is not going to "harm" your equipment, period, E10 HAS been around since well before 1950s and has been called a lot of names like "Ethyl" back then to "Gasohol" in the 1970s (no one wanted to pay the extra money for Gasohol so it kind of faded into the background until it was turned into "saving the Earth" and "reducing reliance on other countries" to make folks feel better about getting less mileage and paying more for it..

For the record, I am not a fan of these blends, but as I see it, there is no "choice" to be had in most or all states in spite of what a lot of folks tout.

So, what do you do? Use it, use it up in a timely manner, if you are totally afraid of it, put only enough in and run it out before you put your device to bed.

We are either gonna read your words or we will skip your words. I recognize your name as someone who i normally skip. But since you were replying to me i had to read what you wrote.

Most folks only SKIM read, look for KEYWORDS then only read what they want.. Sometimes a bold or caps helps to get the point across loud and clear, especially those who like you are stomping their feet since I just rained on your Ethanol free parade.

Chinese knockoffs maybe. There is zero chance i would ever buy something like that. Been cleaning and rebuilding carbs for 30 years.

You DO realize even HONDA uses those same "Chinese knockoff" carbs and pretty much all of the parts of their engines are made in China?

Remember not everyone lives where you live. Sounds like you have cheap gas there. 87 octane with ethanol added is over 3 bucks here.

Paid $2.25 per gallon at Sam's club for 87 octane yesterday morning.

All other stations in my area are $2.50-$2.75 a gallon for 87 Octane and YES every single station is E10 in PA in spite of what that one website says that folks love to quote. Lists a couple in my area and when I contacted them they denied having it.. Well either the Internet is lying or the gas stations I contacted are lying, you take your pick.

I am basically trying to get the point across to you is don't sweat it, while E10 is not the most efficient fuel, it is here to stay unless you figure a way to get all the tree hugging do gooders to abolish these rules.. And that is going to happen as much as the do do bird coming back to life.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me, me, me.

All caps for emphasis is easier to read and makes controversial subjects very clear. People can make statements orally and not raise their voice, Tonal inflection is not possible in print. I have recently adopted use of *xxxxxxxx* to make effect without caps.

I was told 50 years ago, choose one, either the aircraft or it's manifest was necessary to get AV gas. Eleven airports between San Jose and Sacramento was pretty darn convincing.

The issue was and I suppose still is the avoidance of paying road tax to the state of California. I also tried in Reno NV before they had a general state tax and was told at McCarren airport no ticket no wash.

Benefits of AV gas? Heck if a chainsaw or outboard operates OK on Mexican refined gasoline, then demanding aviation fuel is a little picky don'tcha think? Like Aviation lube oil. The advantages are specific for aircooled engines. With gasoline the elimination of carburetor icing.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I find it rather astounding that people will spend extra money to get leaded gasoline for their generators--which are not designed or specified by the manufacturer to operate on--in order to avoid ethanol, which the manufacturer specifically approves and permits.
I think you got me. Hard to argue im not a jerk to still buy leaded gas. I run it in my dirt bike sometimes. Lately i buy sonoco brand 110. I think its leaded.

Let say i dont spill a drop. Please feel free to make fun of this question. Does the lead come out as a gas? How does it work in terms of leaded gasoline exiting the exhaust?

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 years ago I used AV gas in my race car and my friend is still using it today. 100% synthetic oil and 112 octane leaded gas in my own. Lots of miss information in some of the previous posts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AV gas for the generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.