cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner quit

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today we left RV with both airs working. A couple hours later we returned and the bedroom one was off. The breaker for that had gone off so we reset it. The unit made a kind of quiet hum and nothing else happened. Just wondered if this could be a repairable part to be replaced or are we probably gonna need a whole unit
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
4 REPLIES 4

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your like me? just dam old to get up there,call a rv mobil tech, ask if he knows ac repairs , before having him come out.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Sure sounds like starting capacitors. Easy enough to replace. Youtube is your friend.

What model AC do you have? I just replaced one of mine yesterday. Hard to find them right now but Amazon saved the day. Weeks ago they had nothing.

This one is a Dometice Penguin II. I had to also change out the internal circuit board so it would play with the old 5 button thermostat. Easy enough. The installation was about 2.5 hours but I am not young and really picky. Had help lifting the new one onto the rv and taking the old one off,. A scaffold worked fantastic.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Even if it is just the blower motor, you are spending about half the cost of brand new one with warranty and all other new parts. When both of mine died a year apart at age 7 and 8 I just replaced the entire unit. The installer was in and out in less than an hour for each.

Well worth the extra $ to me. Full time 10+ years.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it repirable? Perhaps
A quiet hum suggests the blower motor did not start
This can be caused by one of two or three things but the hum rules out the third (Wiring issue)
Bad Motor Start/Run Capicator.. this is about 20 -30 bucks plus labor unless you replace it yourself

Bad blower motor 200-300 plus labor

Now the other motor up there is the compressor.. repair on that one. you might as well replace the entire upper unit.

OH one more possible issue So Something obstructing the fan or blower can also cause non-op But odds are low.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times