Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trying to figure out best 5th wheel? Advice appreciated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trying to figure out best 5th wheel? Advice appreciated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Jim Irish

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I are retiring next spring. Have looked at many brands of 5th wheels.
Our wish list on this is:
1. Easy to tow-aprox. 30-33 ft so we can get in state parks(have a ram2500 diesel-2020)-Next summer traveling out West for a couple months.
2. Has to be cold weather capable given we have boys in college playing D-1 sports in spring and fall in upper MW. We will be up and down many freeways...
3. Wife wants a newer model with the newer lighter interior.
4. Would like a model that we can access the bathroom and refrigerator while traveling.
5. Has to be sturdy/well built given the time we will be in it and I am not handy.
Somewhat narrowed down the list :
GD-reflection 150 -260rd 30ft
Pinecrest-looks to be well built and everything I read on it looks good.305rlp
Montana High Country - perhaps to long at 34 ft?295 rl-however meet a pastor yesterday that just bought 6 months ago and swears by it.
Artic fox and outdoors rv- tougher to get being in Atlanta and not cracked on interior

Ok- am I missing anything

Jayco -half ton
Wildcat......

Appreciate any feed back.
Regards,
Jim

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very happy with our Cedar Creek 29RW. Checks all your boxes.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no best 5th wheel trailer....nor a best brand.
Sounds like your going to need a real/full 4 season trailer. I would concentrate on the 4 season units such as higher R value in the floors/walls/roof in the floorplan you like. This type of input requires lots of leg work on your part digging out the mfg specs on their cold weather pack or "arctic pack"/etc.

With the 2500 Ram your limited to wet pin weight around 2600-2800 lbs plus other stuff in the bed and in the cab before exceeding a its 6000-6500 ? rawr numbers. Over loaded above rawr means wheels/tires/rear suspension will have to be upgraded.

You can get better/more input if you give us the trailer GVWR. WE can't tell anything about weights with a model number or a length.

edit; I did a quick search on the Montana high country 29 RL....it has a 14300 lb gvwr which puts it in a one ton srw truck territory.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After six months I’m not sure any RVer, including a swearing pastor, can attest to the long term reliability of an RV brand. When you do buy and before you do any cold weather use, study the basics.

Tell us more about your truck....GVWR, payload etc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Research, research. It will take time and a lot of reading. The "best" rV for you might not be what the other person finds important. When I purchased my Carriage Cameo in 2012 I researched 5ers for over 6 months. I love my unit and have had near zero problems. I wanted a 4 season unit, constructed well and had good capacity. It is too bad they are out of business. Be sure you can tow what you get, maintain it well, and don't abuse it. Check ratings.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look at Arctic Fox for what you want. They are built in Oregon and seem a step above the other junk on the market now.

Or go back and find a nice used NuWa HitchHiker or a Carriage Cameo. From what we have seen, I would not consider anything from Forest River or Thor.

With a 3/4 ton truck, you will need to make sure you are not over the trucks rear axle GAWR or cargo capacity. They cargo capacity will include the total of the pin weight, plus cargo, plus hitch, plus passengers. The actual loaded pin weight of a 5er is typically between 20 to 22% of the trailers GVWR. Do not use the brochure weights on the trailer.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV industry is plagued with poor quality builds. I've owned a pop-up, Class C and A, and three FWs (Cougar, Wildcat, Montana). The Wildcat's furnace failed on our first cold night, and the frame started showing signs of bending in the first year. I did a 3-hr PDI on the Montana and gave the dealer a punchlist for 15 items, several of which were serious, before I signed for the unit. It may be different in the so called luxury units like DRV and Luxe, etc. You said you weren't very handy, so be prepared to rely on a good dealer or RV tech to keep everything 100%.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelc wrote:

Research, research. It will take time and a lot of reading. The "best" rV for you might not be what the other person finds important. When I purchased my Carriage Cameo in 2012 I researched 5ers for over 6 months. I love my unit and have had near zero problems. I wanted a 4 season unit, constructed well and had good capacity. It is too bad they are out of business. Be sure you can tow what you get, maintain it well, and don't abuse it. Check ratings.

I also think Carriage make the best built RV. Maybe that is why they are out of business.

ALL RV have a life expectance of about 10 years. That is 1/2 die before age 10. Some live to a "ripe" old age.

Purchase a floor plan you like and take care of it, maybe it will live to a ripe old age. The only thing that kill RV is water. It is the cancer of RV. What is to go wrong with a RV? Maybe a water pump, or a microwave. Easy to fix

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to be traveling for extended periods make sure you get a model that has a full size shower. A lot of the shorter models still use the tiny corner showers.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look at Artic Fox as I did. Pasted my inspection but didn't meet DW's standards on interior storage and looks.
That was however on the largest AF 5er we did wind up with the DRV in my sig.
We are full timers and more often spend time in high temps than low. But we have found with night in upper twenties the fireplace heater will keep us warm for sleeping and kicking on the furnace for a short time in the morning will keep warm things up quickly.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trying to figure out best 5th wheel? Advice appreciated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.