Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trying to figure out best 5th wheel? Advice appreciated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trying to figure out best 5th wheel? Advice appreciated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Jim Irish

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We liked the new Montana High Country 281ck look and feel for our needs. Thanks for the you tube link.
3 questions :
1. Best way to get the new 281ck? Email a number of local dealers here in Atlanta?
2. Everything I have been told is a Ram 2500 4X4,diesel (max payload 2,170lbs and max towing 17170lbs) should not be an issue?
3. Can we go with a 6.4’ bed vs 8’?
Thanks for all the solid responses.

Jim

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest you get a 3500 vice 2500. I have a 350 with a short bed, and after a very sharp turn on an incline where a front corner kissed the back of the truck cab, I got an auto slider hitch. My dealer had told me he couldn't determine whether or not each FW/truck combo could get to 90 degrees, and he was right.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what a question. all your going to get is "mine is the best" with this one haha.

every company can make your perfect rv, and every company has issues. the major issue I find is they operate backwards of car dealers. when a car dealer gets a new car in they go through it and make sure evrything is perfect and the add the PDI to the bill, a rv dealer for some reason wont touch a darn thing on a new rv that comes in umtill after there is a sales contract and only if you pick up the issue. I have a cougar 5th wheel and I can tell you I had to do 3 rounds with them getting stuff fixed up but I am very happy with it now. it is a true winter package good to 0 f or somthing like that and I have camped in it close to that and was fine.

the best 5th is the one that you like, just make sure it hits you boxes with a true 4 season package, ask them to close it up if you are unsure if you can access what you want and so on.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Horizons is excellent, but you need a truck greater than a 350 or 3500 to tow it.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Irish wrote:

We liked the new Montana High Country 281ck look and feel for our needs. Thanks for the you tube link.
3 questions :
1. Best way to get the new 281ck? Email a number of local dealers here in Atlanta?
2. Everything I have been told is a Ram 2500 4X4,diesel (max payload 2,170lbs and max towing 17170lbs) should not be an issue?

Jim

Sure you can compromise with the short bed but WHY??? Nice to have room for a large toolbox. There is not a single slider on the market that does not have issues.

At 14,300# the pin at only 20% will be 2,860#, you tell me a 2500 will be just fine! MOST people that use their RV's have over 20% pin and 25% is very common.

You are spending a lot of money do it right the first time.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Jim Irish wrote:

3 questions :

Jim

Sure you can compromise with the short bed but WHY??? Nice to have room for a large toolbox. There is not a single slider on the market that does not have issues.

At 14,300# the pin at only 20% will be 2,860#, you tell me a 2500 will be just fine! MOST people that use their RV's have over 20% pin and 25% is very common.

This is good advice. Even with our smaller FW we chose to go with a long bed F350. Glad we did. The F250 would have been really pushing the limit and left no room for anything extra or an upgrade to a larger FW in the future. We also went with the long bed. I simply did not want to have to mess with a slider. No offense to those that have sliders.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Irish wrote:

3 questions :

Jim

I would maybe start with calling Keystone direct to see when it will be available. Since it's not on their website yet, it may not be available at dealers yet either. I do know all manufacturers are having issues right now with sourcing parts, both due to high demand and because of border restrictions (ie a lot of parts come from China). So it's release date may be pushed out.

And yes, I was a little annoyed it came out after we already bought our 294 [emoticon] I wanted to go as short as possible like you and I liked all the counterspace in the kitchen. We don't use the dinette in ours except to set stuff on it. Trying to get the husband to agree to take it out to put a dog crate there instead. We have 3 bigger dogs so I'm grateful for the extra couch space in the 294 though.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Jim Irish

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok- I am talking to a couple dealers. My understanding is 25-30% off list is a good buy pre-COVID.
We will see what happens.
Learning a lot in these posts.
Thank you everyone.

Jim Irish

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought it yesterday. 10 week wait. We are very excited.
Now onto figuring out hitch and best way to learn how to drive it.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Jim Irish wrote:

3 questions :

Jim

This is good advice. Even with our smaller FW we chose to go with a long bed F350. Glad we did. The F250 would have been really pushing the limit and left no room for anything extra or an upgrade to a larger FW in the future. We also went with the long bed. I simply did not want to have to mess with a slider. No offense to those that have sliders.

No offense taken, but talking from experience ,been towing four different fifth wheels , with two different trucks ,both short bed 1 tons. The fifth wheels have been from 32' -38 ' long. Time period of nearly 15 years.

We are not full time ,nor ever plan to be. We use our fifth wheel 4-5 months a year. I have learned after 15 years ,you don't need large toolboxes in the bed, you don't need to haul everything ,but the kitchen sink [emoticon] etc etc. Full timing may be another story, but finding being away from home for 2 months or more, I can't see where we would need anything more if we were full timing.

Short bed a compromise , not hardly, but having the proper truck as far as weight rating ,yes thats the important thing. I have never wanted ,nor needed a long bed truck.

Hitches , I have towed with two different manual sliding hitches ,and the rail mount Andersen. If within the weight rating the four point attached steel rail mount Andersen is the only way to go. Short bed or long bed. I have the fifth wheel puck system on my Ram 3500, with the frame adapter , and I use the Andersen on that, as well as an 18K Reese manual slider. The only thing better would be an Andersen with the four point system attached directly to the puck systems on these newer trucks , without using a frame adapter. Unfortunately Andersen does not make one "YET" .The simplicity of the andersen far outways any other hitch , hands down.

This sliding hitch issue has been beaten to death on the forums. I can speak from experience , I don't need a slider towing with a short bed, many others do not either. There are some it would not matter slider or not they will have problems, its just a fact. Towing a fifth wheel takes a lot of awareness , and paying attention .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trying to figure out best 5th wheel? Advice appreciated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.