cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chicago how I don’t love you

dottie999
Explorer
Explorer
We have class c 29’ with toad. We are planning a trip from Toronto to Canadian Rockies via Mount Rushmore. Epic trip except for CHICAGO. We think it would be easiest to go across at Niagara Falls and I90 west then I80 ?? Anyone have suggestions on how to get where we want to go without going through Chicago. Hoping in June we should not have to many issues with last minute reservations along the way.
Also anything of interest along the way to stop and see.
14 REPLIES 14

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living in Chicago, we really don't have a lot of choices other than to try and hit I-80/90/94 at some point when the trucks are usually asleep. I've gotten used to it, and all of the "take a back road" alternatives really aren't much better in that you'll hit a bunch of stoplights along the way.

If you really have your mind set, swing south via Indianapolis and Peoria, and then back up to I-80 but that adds 170 miles of driving and at least two maybe three hours of driving.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

herbert007
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. How do you deal with Canada US border with COVID?

dottie999
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, feeling better about choices. Good to know Greyhook that we will feel like we are at home on the 401 with rude drivers.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'm another one saying go north through Michigan (or cross into Michigan at Sault St Marie) - it's a beautiful state, the Upper Peninsula rivals Alaska for remoteness; and the drive westward on US2 is easy.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
We're from the Buffalo area. I have driven extensively through Toronto for my job as a truck driver. If you can handle Toronto traffic, Chicago is not much different. We've gone through there a couple times and haven't had any problems, but we did it relatively early on a Sunday. Also, I would cross at Huron, you'll avoid NYS tolls and I believe it'd be shorter.
Along the 90 in South Dakota, there's the Corn Palace in Mitchell that's interesting. There's a Cabela's in the same town to overnight in for free. Before you hit Rushmore, there's Badlands National Park which is awesome. We stayed at Rafter J CG near Rushmore, loved it. People will say to visit Wall Drug between Badlands and Rushmore, we never have, seemed like a tourist trap.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Go North. Go South. Avoid Chicago. Many options
Nightmare traffic. Nightmare construction.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
How about crossing at Port Huron and going up to Mackinaw and pick up US 2? Wonderful small towns to go through in the thumb and if you wanted to pick up 75 north you could do it in Bay City. Going up US 23 along lake Huron is a nice drive too. Lots of things to seee in the Upper Peninsula too.
Agree that would be my preferred route for sanity's sake. It'll take more time, though.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
How about crossing at Port Huron and going up to Mackinaw and pick up US 2? Wonderful small towns to go through in the thumb and if you wanted to pick up 75 north you could do it in Bay City. Going up US 23 along lake Huron is a nice drive too. Lots of things to seee in the Upper Peninsula too.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just went thru last week I-94 to I-80 west to Quad Cities (not going north right now). It still sucks. Try to go off peak but so much truck traffic it's still not fun.

PS: The toll booths were closed but you are still expected to pay. A week later, our plate doesn't show up in their web system.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My philosophy about traveling through or near big cities, is to avoid rush hour and take the shortest route, even if it means going through the heart of the city.

Get to the out skirts of the city before 6AM or after 8PM. Evening sports events will have started by them. Some cities have a bit of a lull in the late morning/early afternoon, but pre 6AM you should sail right through.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
havn,t been threw ch in 35yrs and won,t do it again, changed a flat tire on the freeway ,truck diver said go ahead we ain,t moved in a hour and my radio say were not going for a long time. two other drivers helped. p.s find a way around it.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose you could detour south on I-65 about 30 miles and then head west on the 2-lane highways. I feel the same way about Chicago metro area, I do not like that stretch of expressway going east or west. When I head up that way from OK to MI, I get off at US24 and take it east a ways.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing at Niagara Falls and then taking I-90 is the long way around Lake Erie; taking 401/402 to Port Huron, and I-69 on the US side, is generally quicker. (Alternately one could cross at Detroit, of course. Going that way does make it easy to stop for a day or two at the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village, which are well worth seeing.)

I-90 to I-80 to I-29 is as good a route if you stay south of Lake Michigan as any. Avoiding driving through or all that near to Chicago is a good plan indeed. Another option is to take the ferry from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. The SS Badger ferry boat is of historical interest; however, the fees to cross are rather steep; you'd be looking at something in the vicinity of $400-$500 one way for two people, the motorhome, and the car.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
2:00 AM on a Sunday would be the only time I would suggest driving through Chicago. There is no reason to go through Chicago on your trip. I80 is south of the city, it is the main cross country highway for truck traffic and is always heavy.
Timing is everything and you dont want to hit I80-94 westbound at morning rush which is 6:00 to 10:00 AM. There is one toll exiting to I80 from I294.
DW hates I80 because of truck traffic but we take it to I280 around the QuadCities then back on I80 to I380 N in Iowa to US20 west to I29 N to I90 At Sioux Falls W to Rapid City.

I think you would be better to cross at Windsor and avoid tolls on I80-90 they get pricey.

FYI Born and raised in Chicago. Retired Carpenter and drove every highway and byway in the Chicago SMA. Still have daughter living there so we run through twice a year.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu