Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who all makes aluminum sided aluminum framed TT’s?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Who all makes aluminum sided aluminum framed TT’s?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading another thread, I may not be so sold on smooth sided “fiberglass” trailers. I have noticed the delam and mirroring of the frame as well as the gelcoat coming off on many that are just a few years old. I guess the smooth look just appealed to me a lot more. I want as little wood as possible either way. I really liked Holiday House RV, but they like Airstream have very little exterior storage and no floorplan with recliners.

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are few. You have named two. Was my comment on my WInnebago disregarded? Why? It’s mostly a roof maintenance issue IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

I had a Mobile Scout 5er and they Made them that way. Unknown if they still do.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only owned 2 TT's in 18 years.. First one was smooth sided 'fiberglass' with alum frame. Traded it a year ago for a 2019 with the same smooth sided 'fiberglass' with alum frame..

[image]

The old TT did fine and never gave me any issues at all. I just maintained the thing and kept an eye on the roof and re-sealed the corners and end caps a couple of times over the course of time, and never a leak, de-lam or whatever else seems to happen to folks that don't do that kind of thing... [emoticon]

Oh, I did cover it during it's outside storage times too, so that might have helped a bit too?

[image]

In the end, you get what you get and there are no guarantees with either build style. Other than how you maintain it over the years..

Traded that old TT in perfect condition for the new one and whoever now has that old Prowler, has a very nice TT and no de-lam or any other issues with it.. [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The two types are built quite differently.

The smooth sided filon/fiberglass ones are basically glued or laminated together.

The aluminum siding models are stapled to the wood studs.

Aluminum studs do not retain staples very well.
That is why it is not done.
Stclairm wrote:

After reading another thread, I may not be so sold on smooth sided “fiberglass” trailers. I have noticed the delam and mirroring of the frame as well as the gelcoat coming off on many that are just a few years old. I guess the smooth look just appealed to me a lot more. I want as little wood as possible either way. I really liked Holiday House RV, but they like Airstream have very little exterior storage and no floorplan with recliners.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Aluminum studs do not retain staples very well.
That is why it is not done.

Odd..not done?

My Dad's 1978 Holiday Rambler was Aluminum siding over Aluminum framing...never an issue with the siding in 40 years.

More recently we had a 1997 Sunnybrook with Aluminum siding over Aluminum framing. When we sold it at 20yr old, zero issues with the siding.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chiefneon wrote:

Howdy!

I had a Mobile Scout 5er and they Made them that way. Unknown if they still do.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Mobile Scouts were made by the parent company Sunnybrook RV which was purchased by Winnebago quite a few years ago and are no longer made. Our Sunnybrook is going on 17 years old, is covered with smooth fiberglass gelcoat siding over aluminum framing, is still used by us regularly, and has never had any delamination at all.

Our previous trailer was a 1997 Sunnybrook with aluminum siding over aluminum framing and it never leaked or had any problems at all.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a TT but all aluminum.
http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great points here, maybe I'll stick with the gel coated fiberglass TT's. Currently I've been blessed to be able to store it indoors, which makes a huge difference. The ATC's are quite expensive, almost in the Airstream league. Holiday House is coming up with new plans, but they have really small windows everywhere except the front windshield. Winnebago makes good products from what I've read. Everything inside is same as most everyone else. I wish Livin Lite hadn't gone out of business.
I will definitely stay on top of the roof maintenance as that seems to be the #1 killer of any TT.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stclairm wrote:

I will definitely stay on top of the roof maintenance as that seems to be the #1 killer of any TT.

Look for a TT that does not have a FLAT roof. You want some pitch to help the water roll off.

Roof maintenance should include washing with mild soap and applying a UV protectant.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Who all makes aluminum sided aluminum framed TT’s?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.