cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVers and Pheasant hunting

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think we will go anywhere else this year but have thought about taking the motor home to South Dakota and doing some Pheasant hunting.
I think it would be a great idea for a Rally, if some RV group there or somewhere else would put together a Rally or just a gathering.
I've never been and would like to go but with like minded RVers.
One thing is that a lot of us are not able to walk too much and a driven hunt would be the idea.
18 REPLIES 18

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Sorry for your loss. I miss, we all miss Dakota but I'm torn between getting a new friend/family protector and the thoughts of losing it too.

Same here ,we had to put our Lab down a few years ago, never felt like we could replace him. Thinking now we need another one.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. I miss, we all miss Dakota but I'm torn between getting a new friend/family protector and the thoughts of losing it too.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jerry I feel for you. We lost our Golden.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

This is a pic taken on a section line road, next to picked corn. My little hunting partner walked with me, flushed the birds, found the downed birds, and yes, chased them down and stopped them, until I caught up. Angel loved to hunt, and although she appears timid in the pic, was very aggressive, not afraid, even though she only weighed 13 lbs.

She got very sick this past Winter, and I lost her 2-18-20. A part of my life is forever gone. I will no longer hunt Pheasants, without her. I hunted with groups for many years, but enjoyed hunting with her most of all. I know many of you have dogs, and all are special to us. They truly are a best friend!

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Pheasant hunting in SD has become more commercialized over the years. While road hunting is still allowed (driven hunting), it is not very productive. Staying at a hunting lodge, with prime hunting land, and some pen raised birds, is one option. This will get a guided hunt, lots of birds, and for a person not able to walk much, a driver will place you at the end of field, to shoot as others walk, flushing birds toward you. While there is public land, as well as a lot of leased land to hunt on your own, it is a lot of walking, and again, not very productive. A well trained dog would be a big plus. A person willing to walk, can get some good hunting, using 2-4 people, or even by yourself, hunting section lines, with good cover, and fence rows next to corn fields. You can legally drive section dirt roads, and while 1-2 people walk, the other person can drive ahead a half mile, park, get out block the fence row, wait for others to chase birds to you. You just repeat, can switch walker/driver. This can be a great experience, and actually get some birds in your bag. Just about any dog is helpful if it will stay close to you.

Jerry

Never did hunt South Dakota, but we did for a few years hunt out of Regent, North Dakota. The hunting was great. We always rented a small house , there was always six of us, and they had certain farmland that we hunted, all wild birds. We filled up every day. They had some bird cleaning stations around town, that charged like a couple bucks a bird, but we always did our own, not a difficult task, just breasting them out.

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
8ntw8tn wrote:
I grew up hunting in SW Iowa where there were usually just 2 of us, and never more than 4 in the group. We moved to South Dakota where the terrain and size of the fields requires larger groups and different methods. Never quite got accustomed to it. Commercial hunting was becoming prominent when we moved back to Iowa 30 years ago, and I understand it's even more so now. Very difficult to find private land that hasn't been leased.

My Brother and I along with a few other's used to hunt birds in Iowa every year... always the Friday after Opening Day. There were a group of farmers around Cosgrove who put on the hunt. Over the years we became very close with these gentlemen, and we could hunt the ground anytime we wanted.... however 2 things happened, Iowa had a drought, and the following year the bird-count was real low, and that seemed to happen about the same time we became old... LOL and just couldn't walk the distances we used too... We still hunt every Opening Day in Ohio, and always with Dogs! My brother had a good Britney, and I had a good Vizsla...

We always had SD on our bucket-list, however I don't think we could justify the cost since we can't walk those distances anymore. Nice subject, I am enjoying reading all of the posts!

RVman / John
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not up to trying to put something like this together and might nto be able to make it but..
RV Rallies are held everywhere but the theme if there is one, meet and eat and sometimes some great entertainment.
Stll could be that but there is a possibility that something akin to this idea would work provided enough people showed interest and committed to it both to organize it and find location and so forth.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mayor30 wrote:
I have a friend who goes out from Pa every year. Takes his trailer and his dog.

In my experience, when pheasant hunting, large groups get the most birds, small groups (10 or less) safer, still productive, more fun. As mentioned above, pheasant hunting with your dog, is by far, IMO, the most satisfying/enjoyable way to hunt upland game. Just you and your dog, walking together, seeing your dog's excitement, to help you hunt, find a bird for you, is a priceless experience. Having a friend/relative along with you and your dog works great too.

Jerry

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
down home wrote:
I think it would be a great idea for a Rally, if some RV group there or somewhere else would put together a Rally or just a gathering.

A rally? In 2020? Really?

*2021!

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who goes out from Pa every year. Takes his trailer and his dog.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons why I used to hunt was to be away from people. I would find a large group of hunters descending on one spot to be problematic. One of the reasons why I quit hunting was it got too crowded in MA to safely do so.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
There is a pretty basic campground and pheasant hunting at the SP in Portales, New Mexico. I have no idea how the hunting is.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Boscorelli
Explorer
Explorer
I think this topic is in the wrong forum. I hope I can find it again!

I take an RV to go pheasant hunting almost every year. SD is my favorite destination. The biggest problem is finding an RV park that is open. Many of them close in October, and those that do stay open may have to close when the weather gets too cold. Last year we had to leave November 1st because the temperature was forecasted to be in the teens for the next week, and they shut off the water.

Most of the time I hunt "small" areas by myself. Sometimes I meet up with friends to hunt larger fields. I hunt the Indian reservations, as well as State land. This year I'm going to camp in Mobridge. I'll be there from Opening Day until I get frozen out. I'd welcome a few fellow hunters and RVers to get out with.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up hunting in SW Iowa where there were usually just 2 of us, and never more than 4 in the group. We moved to South Dakota where the terrain and size of the fields requires larger groups and different methods. Never quite got accustomed to it. Commercial hunting was becoming prominent when we moved back to Iowa 30 years ago, and I understand it's even more so now. Very difficult to find private land that hasn't been leased.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg