Did you mean:ย 

? Which Dehumidifier?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted - dehumidifier recommendations.

Must run on house current

Must be capable of handling 2,500 cubic feet

MUCH PREFER that it drains thru hose/tube instead of its own holding tank (this is where I really need recommendations, all the ones I've seen that drain via hose/tube are larger-than-I-need household machines).
15 REPLIES 15

dedmiston
Gdetrailer wrote:
Dehumidifiers, A/C, heating systems ALL use SQUARE FEET as an "industry standard" when specing the systems, not CUBIC FEET.

When one is looking for a REAL dehumidifier those specs will be in SQUARE FEET.

For instance a temporary replacement unit I bought HERE lists specifically 1500 SQUARE FEET.

" About this item

1,500 SQ FT DEHUMIDIFIER โ€“ Our dehumidifier is able to collect 20 pint (30 pint 2012 DOE standard) of water a day and adjust humidity from 35% to 85%, perfect for use in basement, bathroom, bedroom, or crawlspace. Maintaining a healthy 45%-55% humidity range has never been easier! Please note: depending on the climate in your area, as well as room size, you may need to purchase a larger unit for best effect "

Evadry is exaggerating there units by using CUBIC FEET and with only 20 oz per day collection it is pretty weak on real delivery compared to a real compressor unit.

I have my doubts that Evadry products meets DOE testing standards..

HERE

Regardless if you are using with supposed "free" campground power or not, any Peltier based device IS an energy hog and for that there is no excuse. Wasting energy just because you can is pretty much the "moto" of the average RV owner because they feel it is a right.

We should be finding and using much more efficient devices instead of flippantly and blatantly using more energy because there is no immediate penalty. The after affect of being wasteful is campground WILL increase the price of admission next yr to make up for the energy hogs this yr.. Everyone ultimately will pay more because of the wastefulness of others. The cycle just continues on and on and on..

LOL. That's all fine and dandy, except for the part where that's not what the OP stated.

Don't shoot me though, I'm just the fact-checker.

Now that everyone is on the same page, carry on with the discussion.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
You MISSED the mere fact that the OP was needing a dehumidifier for 2500 SQUARE FEET.

Don't know of ANY RV that is 2500 square feet.

I realize this is a mathematical issue and from what I have seen over the yrs, not a lot of folks get the math and science behind these mystery devices.

Yes, math is hard. But the OP said 2,500 CUBIC feet, not square. :W

Dehumidifiers, A/C, heating systems ALL use SQUARE FEET as an "industry standard" when specing the systems, not CUBIC FEET.

When one is looking for a REAL dehumidifier those specs will be in SQUARE FEET.

For instance a temporary replacement unit I bought HERE lists specifically 1500 SQUARE FEET.

" About this item

1,500 SQ FT DEHUMIDIFIER โ€“ Our dehumidifier is able to collect 20 pint (30 pint 2012 DOE standard) of water a day and adjust humidity from 35% to 85%, perfect for use in basement, bathroom, bedroom, or crawlspace. Maintaining a healthy 45%-55% humidity range has never been easier! Please note: depending on the climate in your area, as well as room size, you may need to purchase a larger unit for best effect "

Evadry is exaggerating there units by using CUBIC FEET and with only 20 oz per day collection it is pretty weak on real delivery compared to a real compressor unit.

I have my doubts that Evadry products meets DOE testing standards..

HERE

Regardless if you are using with supposed "free" campground power or not, any Peltier based device IS an energy hog and for that there is no excuse. Wasting energy just because you can is pretty much the "moto" of the average RV owner because they feel it is a right.

We should be finding and using much more efficient devices instead of flippantly and blatantly using more energy because there is no immediate penalty. The after affect of being wasteful is campground WILL increase the price of admission next yr to make up for the energy hogs this yr.. Everyone ultimately will pay more because of the wastefulness of others. The cycle just continues on and on and on..

dedmiston
Gdetrailer wrote:
You MISSED the mere fact that the OP was needing a dehumidifier for 2500 SQUARE FEET.

I realize this is a mathematical issue and from what I have seen over the yrs, not a lot of folks get the math and science behind these mystery devices.

Yes, math is hard. But the OP said 2,500 CUBIC feet, not square. :W

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CFerguson wrote:
Honestly, i dont care about the watts. CG pays for that. I dont recall the OP being worried about it either. Just suggesting an option that has worked great for me. Investigate the options, choose which you think will work for You.

(btw, if used in the summer, you also need to calculate joule expenditure of the extra AC to counter the heat a compressor uses. In the winter, of course, that heat will be a welcome addition).

I will also point out that Peltier devices expend much more heat than a compressor, they give far less cooling per watt and cooling you need to condense water on any given surface. One side of the Peltier device gets cold, the opposite side will not only have to dissipate the heat drawn from the cold side but the additional heat generated by the electrical losses internally to the Peltier device.

Peltiers are extremely inefficient, if they were efficient you would see them in use for general cooling and heating applications on a grand scale in homes, business. They are not, therefore they are relegated to very small applications where a compressor will not fit and efficiency is of no care..

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, i dont care about the watts. CG pays for that. I dont recall the OP being worried about it either. Just suggesting an option that has worked great for me. Investigate the options, choose which you think will work for You. And i hope whatever anyone chooses works great for them! I dont own stock in any of these companies.

(btw, if used in the summer, you also need to calculate joule expenditure of the extra AC to counter the heat a compressor uses. In the winter, of course, that heat will be a welcome addition).

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CFerguson wrote:
+1 on the EvaDrys. Note that they make different sized units. I suggest checking out their website and seeing what fits your needs. Used properly, they work great, but realize that most RVs are sieves when it comes to humid air infiltration.

EvaDrys also have the benefit of not using any compressor which pumps a lot of heat into the air. And yes, they use a hose drain (note that it is an uncommon size so get a factory hose if you get one).

You are talking about THIS type of dehumidifier?

Egads.. "The EDV-2500 is a mid-sized, electric dehumidifier designed to pull moisture from areas that are up to 2500 cubic feet. Using thermal electric Peltier technology, the Edv-2500 packs a quite yet powerful punch against the damaging effects of excess moisture. Itโ€™s effectiveness is measured in gathering approximately 20.5 oz. of water per day at 86ยฐ F and 80% R.H. Additional specifications of the EDV-2500 includes: a power adapter of 12V DC 6AMP, power consumption of 72W, 2 Liter capacity removable water tank and an automatic water level detector switch to indicate tank is full. The unit measures 9?W x 13.5?H x 5.75?D and carries a UPC # of 83285600527."

Peltier devices are horribly in efficient per watt of electricity.

They are making claims that this device can remove enough moisture for 2500 square feet, that is a pure lie. 20.5 oz of water per day is nothing, it would take multiples of this model to be the equivalent to one compressor based 20 pint unit. One pint is 16 oz, a compressor unit rated for 20 pints per day can remove 320 oz of moisture per day.

It would take 15.6 of Evd-2500 to be the equivlent of one 20 pint compressor unit.

15.6 x 72W= 1123.9W

1123.9W at 120V is 9.5A.. for a mere 20 oz (pint and half? or water removal..

I have a 100 pint (1600 oz or 13.3 gallon) dehumidifier that is plate rated at 7.5A which is the max it should ever draw..

Just for good measure, 15.6 of the Evadrys would cost $1404

On edit..

Evadry is rating in CUBIC FEET..

Standard used by real dehumidifiers is in SQUARE FEET

2500 CUBIC FEET converts to a room with a foot print of 312 SQUARE FEET.

Evadry is a very poor choice..

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
+1 on the EvaDrys. Note that they make different sized units. I suggest checking out their website and seeing what fits your needs. Used properly, they work great, but realize that most RVs are sieves when it comes to humid air infiltration.

EvaDrys also have the benefit of not using any compressor which pumps a lot of heat into the air. And yes, they use a hose drain (note that it is an uncommon size so get a factory hose if you get one).

In our area if you can't pull 3-5 gallons of water out of the air in the first 24 hrs and 2 gallons/day after that it doesn't do much good. and the evadrys I've seen won't come anywhere near that. Only compressor driven units can pull that much water out.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The current crop of dehumidifiers are total junk, do yourself a favor, buy the absolute CHEAPEST priced on you can find that is capable of your square footage or buy tow smaller ones.

Just this spring had to replace a 5 yr old unit that failed, all I could find at Home Depot/Lowes was $450 units in the size I needed..

Yeah ,that new unit failed only 3 months after buying.

Lowes will not help you if it fails, instead YOU must contact the manufacturer, they want pictures of the serial number and the power cord you must cut off.. Then a week later after all the emails and paperwork is done you get a replacement..

We ended up buying a smaller $250 unit on Amazon while we waited on the replacement..

Buy 2, you WILL need a backup..

By the way, name brands do not exist, they are all China made and the brand name is simply slapped on. Quality means nothing.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
We have a new 20 pint GE unit that we're really happy with. You'd want to go with one of the bigger units for the square footage you're talking about, though. The GE 20 pint and larger models all have a tube output on them.

Rob

We also have the GE, and full time, we very seldom have condensation on the windows. Depending on location, coast or inland we need to empty it up to twice a day or it might be off.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one difference you will find is most with a drain tube are gravity feed. They will only drain to a lower point. Some have a pump. Those will pump the water up to a drain or sink or even up to a window to get it outside.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a new 20 pint GE unit that we're really happy with. You'd want to go with one of the bigger units for the square footage you're talking about, though. The GE 20 pint and larger models all have a tube output on them.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
haeir (sp?) makes almost all the portable dehumidifiers, they are just sold under a variety of brand names. Go to home depot, lowes etc. and check out what they have for the smaller units. All the smaller unitis I've seen, including the one we have has a tank but also the capability of hooking up a drain hose. Even the smallest ones (a few gallon capacity) will do fine for an RV.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You will need 2 of the above. Will work down to 41*