cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LR E tow vehicle tire comparison

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I hvve been running Firestone Trans Force tires on the rear of my F250. Gonna put on new before hitting the road this winter.

Any recommendations on more highly rated tires for the rears. Highway tread only.
20 REPLIES 20

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, since we are mostly done with our snow season, I have to say that I am VERY happy with the Cooper HT3s. They worked as well as the Goodyear's in ice and snow, and the towing experience is much better. The tread life is still to be determined, but they appear to be holding up as good as their reputation.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

HoosierDad
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Had 3 sets of Michelin XLTs before they changed the name to Defender. I found that they had the most road wander of any tire that I've driven to the point that I found them dangerous. Everything else about them was great. On my F-350 the front tires wear off on both edges as if they are under inflated (they're actually over inflated by load.) I am currently running Cooper HT3s because they have a real heavy edges which should help with the wear problem. The ride is a little better than the Continental OEM tires, wear seems good so far, and traction is just as good as the OEMs.

Now that you have a few more months on these HT3s, can you let me know if they have continued to wear well?

I have a second set of Continental Contitracs on my F250 Regular Cab 4x4 with 2,000 miles on them and one or all of them has a problem and is causing a lot of sway pulling a 7,500 Cruiser 29' trailer.
2012 F-250, Reg Cab, XLT, 4x4, 6.2L Gas
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CT29RLX
My Wife and I

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had 3 sets of Michelin XLTs before they changed the name to Defender. I found that they had the most road wander of any tire that I've driven to the point that I found them dangerous. Everything else about them was great. On my F-350 the front tires wear off on both edges as if they are under inflated (they're actually over inflated by load.) I am currently running Cooper HT3s because they have a real heavy edges which should help with the wear problem. The ride is a little better than the Continental OEM tires, wear seems good so far, and traction is just as good as the OEMs.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Michelin Defender LTX. My OEM FS AT's lasted 30k. Michelina have 40K and 10-15k miles left. Smooth quiet tire.

X2!

Except they donโ€™t make them in 235 80R17 which the Ram dually takes. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Might check again that is what I have on our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW.
LTX MS2 235/80-17 E rated.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Michelin Defender LTX. My OEM FS AT's lasted 30k. Michelina have 40K and 10-15k miles left. Smooth quiet tire.

X2!

Except they donโ€™t make them in 235 80R17 which the Ram dually takes. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Michelins.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Have these now after the prior model LTX M/S2 tires. Quiet, great grip in rain and snow, and I expect at least 60k miles.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of take-off Michelins around these parts that you can get cheap. I tried trading the Michelins off my '20 3500 DRW with 700 miles. The tire shop I typically used, refused to take them. They have more take offs then they can sell already. Second shop, offered me $50.00 a tire begrudgingly. Discount tire offered me $75.00 a tire and I took it. I put Toyo AT3's on it and went up a size. Good looking tire, looks to me like it is much like the Falcon Wild Peak AT. I am putting the Wild Peak on my '18 3500 SRW, we will see how they compare.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Cooper HT3's on my Class C for not quite 2 years and 28,000 miles. Maybe 20% worn at this point. Like them much better than the Michelin LTX's they replaced, and were $50 per tire less than the Bibendum brand. Pleasantly surprised how good they are.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
pitch wrote:
I like Cooper HT# I an on my second set. got 70k out of the first set. Good all round tire,quiet on the pavement!

You must run them down to the wear bars. I never do that on a tire. In the wet NW one wants a tire with some tread left. My Michelin's would most likely go to 70K and be down to the wear bars, however they will come off before then. Last year at this time we were one day ahead of snow each day coming South. I do not want to get caught by those driving conditions with nearly worn out tires.

I'm at 65K on the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRA's on my Chev. Can't complain and will buy the same tire when I need new tires next year. It's a good LT tire and used about 50% with a large trailer in tow.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:
The good news is the Firestone Transforce tires you've been running are hot garbage, so anything will be an improvement.

This made me laugh! Good description btw
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is the Firestone Transforce tires you've been running are hot garbage, so anything will be an improvement.

I've been really happy with the Falken Wildpeak AT3's I'm running currently, if you're wanting an AT on the slightly more aggressive end. I've also had good luck with Cooper and Toyo/Nitto in the past.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
I like Cooper HT# I an on my second set. got 70k out of the first set. Good all round tire,quiet on the pavement!

You must run them down to the wear bars. I never do that on a tire. In the wet NW one wants a tire with some tread left. My Michelin's would most likely go to 70K and be down to the wear bars, however they will come off before then. Last year at this time we were one day ahead of snow each day coming South. I do not want to get caught by those driving conditions with nearly worn out tires.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021