Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LR E tow vehicle tire comparison
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> LR E tow vehicle tire comparison

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hvve been running Firestone Trans Force tires on the rear of my F250. Gonna put on new before hitting the road this winter.

Any recommendations on more highly rated tires for the rears. Highway tread only.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

I hvve been running Firestone Trans Force tires on the rear of my F250. Gonna put on new before hitting the road this winter.

Any recommendations on more highly rated tires for the rears. Highway tread only.
Tire dealer quoted me these for my 2013 Ram 3500
Cooper Discoverer HT3 for a few reasons. The first one is that it is a great tire for highway and city driving but it also does a great job at providing more traction on dirt and gavel roads. The other benefit to this tire is that it has been given a certificate for being rated for Mud and Snow which is perfect for the weather that we are going to be finding ourselves in here very soon. And the final benefit that I think you will find about this tire is that it is a commercial rated tire which means that it is a strong durable tire perfect for pulling a trailer.

Can't say either way but I think I might go this route for mine.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelin Defender LTX. My OEM FS AT's lasted 30k. Michelina have 40K and 10-15k miles left. Smooth quiet tire.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Michelin Defender LTX. My OEM FS AT's lasted 30k. Michelina have 40K and 10-15k miles left. Smooth quiet tire.

X2!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pavement pounder tread and mismatched set?
I’d buy whatever is on sale. Presuming they’re OE size, I’d look for a cheap pair of takeoffs or even all 4 on Craigslist.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

Tire dealer quoted me these for my 2013 Ram 3500
Cooper Discoverer HT3 for a few reasons. The first one is that it is a great tire for highway and city driving but it also does a great job at providing more traction on dirt and gavel roads. The other benefit to this tire is that it has been given a certificate for being rated for Mud and Snow which is perfect for the weather that we are going to be finding ourselves in here very soon. And the final benefit that I think you will find about this tire is that it is a commercial rated tire which means that it is a strong durable tire perfect for pulling a trailer.

Can't say either way but I think I might go this route for mine.

I put the Cooper HT3s on my pickup a couple months ago, and so far I really like them. So far the road manners are better than the Goodyear Wranglers I was using. The Goodyears were excellent on ice or hard packed snow, and I am not expecting the same from the Coopers but I will find out in a month. I will wait and see how they do in snow, but I told the guy I get my tires from that I have chains and I am not afraid to use them.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Cooper HT# I an on my second set. got 70k out of the first set. Good all round tire,quiet on the pavement!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

I like Cooper HT# I an on my second set. got 70k out of the first set. Good all round tire,quiet on the pavement!

You must run them down to the wear bars. I never do that on a tire. In the wet NW one wants a tire with some tread left. My Michelin's would most likely go to 70K and be down to the wear bars, however they will come off before then. Last year at this time we were one day ahead of snow each day coming South. I do not want to get caught by those driving conditions with nearly worn out tires.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good news is the Firestone Transforce tires you've been running are hot garbage, so anything will be an improvement.

I've been really happy with the Falken Wildpeak AT3's I'm running currently, if you're wanting an AT on the slightly more aggressive end. I've also had good luck with Cooper and Toyo/Nitto in the past.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

The good news is the Firestone Transforce tires you've been running are hot garbage, so anything will be an improvement.

This made me laugh! Good description btw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> LR E tow vehicle tire comparison
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.