cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dometic furnace problem

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends We got to take out our new rig this past weekend for some fall camping. Its a highland ridge lite bunkhouse. The furnace will light and run for a few seconds then shut off. Then it will relight and run for a few seconds and shut off this just keeps on repeating. I know its under warrantee but both the dealers are over an hour and a half drive each way. I was wondering if I can fix it myself or possible my local furnace man?
11 REPLIES 11

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up being the fan switch.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Never had your problem. But you really have to open the LP valve very slowly for a turn or two. Then see if the burners on the stove are very happy. After that I turn on the water heater till it is happy. Then I turn on the furnace followed by the fridge.

If you have opened the LP valve too quickly. Turn it off and wait ten minutes and open it very slowly.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
Ive checked all the things I am able to do.I gave up and made an appointment next week. Thanks to all

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
Try closing the valve on your propane tank and bleeding off the pressure, then open the valve very slowly. It sounds like you might of trip the excessive flow protection valve.

I've had this happen. If you trailer has no propane pressure when you hook up a tank, then you open the tank quickly, it'll do this. Stove will make flame, though it's weaker. Big appliances won't work.

OP - Are you getting airflow? Does the air warm up at all? I've seen some trailers where the intake was blocked, causing the high temp circuit to trip because there wasn't really air moving through the furnace.

Or,, maybe all his outlet ducts are covered so that no air can get out of the furnace.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Try closing the valve on your propane tank and bleeding off the pressure, then open the valve very slowly. It sounds like you might of trip the excessive flow protection valve.

I've had this happen. If you trailer has no propane pressure when you hook up a tank, then you open the tank quickly, it'll do this. Stove will make flame, though it's weaker. Big appliances won't work.

OP - Are you getting airflow? Does the air warm up at all? I've seen some trailers where the intake was blocked, causing the high temp circuit to trip because there wasn't really air moving through the furnace.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try closing the valve on your propane tank and bleeding off the pressure, then open the valve very slowly. It sounds like you might of trip the excessive flow protecion valve.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Wrestling a furnace out is out of the question for a waranted unit. Buy an electric heater until you get it to a dealer.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your in a camp ground ask the manager if theres some body camping that has some knowledge of things, just ask the guy next to you.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check with your warranty Co.To see if they'll cover a mobile tech coming out to you & repairing it. Of course, check with the tech to see if he does warranty work.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Old biscuit good.

I had a solenoid valve go bad in mine. It was doing similar while it was in the process of going bad. The burner was not getting enough propane, there would be a little propane at first, enough to light a flame, but then would run out of propane bc there was not enough pressure going to the burner, so it would shut off, then I guess a little pressure did build up in the system by the time it lit again and it could burn for a second but just go out when starved for propane.(Im not sure if this was what was really going on but was just my theory).
I replaced the valve.

I guess if the pressure feeding the furnaces is too low this could happen too. Unlikely as I am assuming all your other propane things work just fine?

How old is all this?
Regulators do go bad after a while. 15 years is a long time for a regulator.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like the 'flame proving' signal is not returning to circuit board
Spark Electrode provides high voltage spark to ignite the gas and is then used a pathway for 'flame' signal (flame rectification) to circuit board
W/O that signal circuit board shuts down DC to gas valve so raw fuel does not accumulate

Could be as simple as spark gap (too wide/too narrow the milliamp signal gets lost)
Could be circuit board issue
Could be spark electrode wire or wire connection
Could be loose wire connector on circuit board

What Brand/Model is the Furnace???
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31