cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel adapter for goose neck

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Just something I have noticed around in campgrounds but why do some people convert their 5er to a goose neck? Is there a difference in towing or is it usually done by folks that own additional goose neck trailers so they don't need to switch hitches in truck bed?
Just curious
28 REPLIES 28

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
SUMRX4 wrote:
Just something I have noticed around in campgrounds but why do some people convert their 5er to a goose neck? Is there a difference in towing or is it usually done by folks that own additional goose neck trailers so they don't need to switch hitches in truck bed?
Just curious

I have GN trailers and a 5th wheel rv trailer...and have had 5th wheel flatdeck trailers.
Its no problem for me anyway to switch hitches or any major difference in the way the combo tows.

Everyone that uses a GN adapter has different reasons for doing so but I would bet they have other trailer types also.

I also see folks using GN adapters at events like rodeo's....farm sales/stock yards/fair grounds/all types work events where one might need a rv camper to stay a few nites.

All kinds of reasons GN adapters are being used.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Poor penetration!

Welder should go hide under the bed after doing that.

Poor penetration, plus should of been welded all the way around. Probably another one of those I welded in high school guys, okay you are hired .

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Poor penetration!

Haha, well said. These would have failed eventually regardless of the pinbox/hitch in use.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Poor penetration!

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
You can damage the frame with any hitch/pinbox. I have two broken welds behind my pin box, but I don't blame them on the Goosebox. Poor welding, bad roads, and off road travel are all part of the equation.

The Goosebox may not have helped things, but your individual usage has a lot to do with it. There are thousands of people who put tens of thousands of problem-free miles on Gooseboxes, or even gooseneck adapters, without issue.

In the process of welding a bunch of guessets and bracing on now. Keeping an eye on your trailer and looking for small changes each time you hook up will go a long way to prevent major damages. Things happen, and I just happened to think the trailer was sitting a hair closer to the bed rails than normal a week ago. Pulled back the trim to find this:

In this case, Lippert used inverted angle and only welded one leg. I think the angle is too thin, and the welds needed to be on both legs, to survive what I ask of them - regardless of hitch. This was a ticking time bomb even with the stock pin box and TrailerSaver BD3 I ran before. If anything, the Goosebox just made it happen sooner.

Damages, often with unknown causes, are a fact of life when you RV. Some things are quick to be blamed, even when they're not the root cause - there are multiple intertwined factors at play.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if you research a little deeper, you will find that a lot more states than just Texas require chains. It's considered a "Ball Hitch" and a majority of states require chains with ball hitches.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen is on the fence about the subject of safety chains. They still consider themselves exempt because they're still a fifth wheel hitch. But, because they use a ball, one could argue that it's still a ball hitch and requires chains. Since I never want to have this discussion with the CHP, I have installed the safety chain kit for my Andersen Ultimate hitch. It literally takes about 30 seconds to attach the chains.

One thing bugs me about the anchor point in the truck bed for the chains. The chains attach to a bracket that slips over the gooseneck ball down at the truck bed level. If the trailer to upper ball connection fails, the chains should work as intended. However, if the gooseneck ball breaks or separates from the hitch assembly, the chains will likely come off and the trailer will break free. I wanted to use the other puck holes in my truck bed to anchor the chains and eliminate the single point of failure - but the AUH partially blocks the holes.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I did inquire about safety chains and was told they were only required in Texas. I like to be on the cautious side and plan to get them.

Yeah... in Oklahoma were required to use chains with a ball type hitch.
"Coupling Device For Trailer, Semitrailer, Manufactured Home, or Towed Motor Vehicle"

A. Every trailer, semitrailer, manufactured home, or towed motor vehicle shall be equipped with a coupling device....snip.

1. "snip.
2. Chains, cables or a safety device which provides strength, security of attachment and directional stability equal to or greater than that provided by safety chains and which prevent parting from the drawing vehicle should the regular coupling device break or otherwise become disengaged. The safety device shall be designed, constructed, and installed so that if the coupling device fails or becomes disconnected the coupling device will not drop to the ground.

Most states require by them per code but there are a few states that recommend safety chains but no codes requiring them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
cut up wrote:
I recently bought my first 5th wheel (Cougar Half Ton 25res), and the dealer put in an Anderson Ultimate hitch. Itโ€™s easy to hook up and disconnect. I did inquire about safety chains and was told they were only required in Texas. I like to be on the cautious side and plan to get them.

Even if you are from out of state and travel through Texas, safety chains are required on ALL ball hitches.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cut_up
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought my first 5th wheel (Cougar Half Ton 25res), and the dealer put in an Anderson Ultimate hitch. Itโ€™s easy to hook up and disconnect. I did inquire about safety chains and was told they were only required in Texas. I like to be on the cautious side and plan to get them.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
kmac7800 wrote:
He may be referring to a "goosebox" which does not cause issues with your chassis warranty. The one I am thinking of is made by Reese, however there is another out there that I have seen but do not remember the manufacturer.

Oh, and I would use it (if I could) so I do not have to remove a 250lb fifth wheel hitch in/out of my truck bed if I wanted to use my pickup as a... well... pickup.

//KMac

Anyone the thinks the goosebox does not apply the same leverage on the 5th wheels frame as a gooseneck adapter cut classes that day when they were teaching about levers. If the adapter/pin box and goosebox extend down and forward the same distance the leverage on the frame is the same.

All the GooseBox provides is a glorified goose neck adapter. I agree that someone cut class and I doubt if they managed to get an engineering degree.

I would not touch a GooseBox pinbox with a 50 foot pole. So Lippert accept it, but with Lipperts history on frames, I doubt if they have ever had an engineer work on frame design.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
kmac7800 wrote:
He may be referring to a "goosebox" which does not cause issues with your chassis warranty. The one I am thinking of is made by Reese, however there is another out there that I have seen but do not remember the manufacturer.

Oh, and I would use it (if I could) so I do not have to remove a 250lb fifth wheel hitch in/out of my truck bed if I wanted to use my pickup as a... well... pickup.

//KMac

Anyone the thinks the goosebox does not apply the same leverage on the 5th wheels frame as a gooseneck adapter cut classes that day when they were teaching about levers. If the adapter/pin box and goosebox extend down and forward the same distance the leverage on the frame is the same.

So true.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
kmac7800 wrote:

//KMac

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
The Anderson hitch gives you most of the advantages of the goosebox.

1. Can easily use the truck bed.
2. easy hookup if unlevel or at an angle.
3 good trailer articulation.

And

No air bags
No need to grease
No frame damage
Easy to see to hookup

Easy solution to the problems the goosebox is trying to solve.