Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: B&W Companion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> B&W Companion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be, but I would think either plated or stainless. Mine show no rust, so I was leaning toward stainless. But I don't know for sure. Either way, anti-seize should solve the problem

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Claims of the best hitch, and after 8 years needs a new base [emoticon] I am thinking there are better hitches out there if that is the case . I have a 12 year old Reese Signature ,same head as their Elite ,and there are no wear parts to date that have to be replaced. Not a single problem with my Reese. Maybe those B&W are not the hitch they are advertised .

Very doubtful there are stainless bolts on a hitch , most common stainless bolts 304 ,or 316 don't have the same tensile strength as say grade 8. Surely B&W would not be putting on inferior bolts [emoticon] The fact of having to even get new bolts, free or not would keep some away from dealing with B&W.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guinness1 wrote:

I have a Companion from B&W, purchased back in 2012. Is it just me, or does anyone else with this hitch, have to replace the U-bolts/hardware and/or the draw down bolt/aluminum block? I have to replace one or all pieces at least once a season. It is quite a pain in the a$$, due to having to cut the bolts to remove. I love the hitch because of the ability to remove it and have my entire bed when not pulling. I now see there are other brands of hitches that have the same abilities (ie Andersen). B&W has offered to sell me the new and improved base for the Companion that does not have this common problem(s), even at their cost of $300, seems like I should just look into a new hitch like the Andersen (big benefit is the weight of the hitch).

I'd be done with that hitch, there has to be better. Yes the Andersen is a great choice, but some will be along to tell you otherwise ,but have never owned one . If you are using standard bed rails ,just go the steel Andersen ,and be done with all the nonsense you are putting up with that B&W. 8 years of dealing with that would make anyone change hitches .

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had my Companion hitch since 2015. Twice a year I crawl under the truck and soak the block, spring & rod with lithium grease. Also spray the moving parts of the jaw. Then 4-5 pumps of grease into the grease fitting under the head. I have noticed that the paint has flaked off of the turnover ball frame under the truck but minimal rust, so I spray it with a rust inhibitor.

That is all that I ever do and have never had an issue.

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The base the op is mentioning will cause bed deflection if towing HEAVY. B&W has spacers they will ship you if wanted. The base was fine for the thicker metal of the beds when the base was engineered. Now the beds are thin and that is why they came up with the Companion with spacers attached to the base so there is no deflection. And another improvement are the Puck bases. Don't see ANDERSEN using the pucks.

OP, try using anti seize next time. Or spend the $300 and get the base they offered. B&W is trying to make it right with you.

* This post was edited 10/06/20 09:45am by an administrator/moderator *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave it guys![emoticon]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had my Companion for 10 years and never had any problem with the U bolts or draw down bolt. The anti seize sounds like a great idea so I will use some when I reinstall my Companion.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my companion used one of the nuts was seized. A quick call to B&W and new ones were at my doorstep in a few days no charge. I haven't had another issue in 8 years. I have been drooling over the the new base though and $300 seems like the way to go!

Also, I think if you do some more research you'll find that the B&W is one of, if not the, best hitch on the market.

* This post was edited 10/06/20 10:32am by KMLsquared *

2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B&W is the best non-suspended hitch on the market. Full Stop.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have it's lil bro, Patriot 18k non slide rail and absolutely love it! Bought it new in spring of '17, on it's 2nd truck.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> B&W Companion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.