Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: B&W Companion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > B&W Companion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/06/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"A quick call to B&W and new ones were at my doorstep in a few days no charge"

Bottom like B&W did NOT have to do that because you were not the original owner. Just shows what a stand up guy the owner is.

For those that don't know he kept his employees on and had them do Community projects I think it was around 2008. There was a nightly news story on this. Someone smarter than I could post a link.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/06/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the B&W companion because I also haul a gooseneck trailer and need the in bed ball. I'm trying to envision what or where your problem is and just not seeing it. I have had no issues with my hitch which was bought new in 2015 or so. So, definitely not as old.

All I can say about other hitch options. Specifically the Anderson which I thought I wanted until I looked at the pictures on Amazon. Before you buy an Anderson make sure you check out those pictures. It will make you appreciate all the Steel in the B&W hitch.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/06/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

I have the B&W companion because I also haul a gooseneck trailer and need the in bed ball. I'm trying to envision what or where your problem is and just not seeing it. I have had no issues with my hitch which was bought new in 2015 or so. So, definitely not as old.

All I can say about other hitch options. Specifically the Anderson which I thought I wanted until I looked at the pictures on Amazon. Before you buy an Anderson make sure you check out those pictures. It will make you appreciate all the Steel in the B&W hitch.


OP’s B&W is an older style. His base attaches to a square post that drops into the gooseneck hitch with “U” bolts holding base to post. There is also a draw down bolt that attaches thru base to top of square post.

* This post was edited 10/06/20 08:37pm by Cummins12V98 *

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2005

View Profile


Online
Posted: 10/06/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riltri wrote:

I've had my Companion hitch since 2015. Twice a year I crawl under the truck and soak the block, spring & rod with lithium grease. Also spray the moving parts of the jaw. Then 4-5 pumps of grease into the grease fitting under the head. I have noticed that the paint has flaked off of the turnover ball frame under the truck but minimal rust, so I spray it with a rust inhibitor.

That is all that I ever do and have never had an issue.

That is about when I got mine, but I haven't sprayed the underside with grease. It still works perfectly every fall when I take the hitch out. I do grease the top side a few times a year like they recommend.
I also have never had to replace anything on my hitch, and would replace it with the same thing in a heartbeat if anything happened to it.


2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L


4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 10/07/20 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I’d buy a new truck with the factory puck system and get a new B&W to go with it. Why screw around with an old hitch? Get a diesel.


2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think I’d buy a new truck with the factory puck system and get a new B&W to go with it. Why screw around with an old hitch? Get a diesel.


I agree! I was going to post this at thread start up, but have no idea of the OPs financial health. Who doesn't want a new truck? The Ford version of Companion 3300 for oem pucks, is only 75 lb head, and 78 lb base. Light wt, easy in/out. B&W will likely help with hitch cost, maybe even TRUCK! Can't hurt to ask, they are super easy to talk to/deal with!

Jerry





Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/07/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think I’d buy a new truck with the factory puck system and get a new B&W to go with it. Why screw around with an old hitch? Get a diesel.


Dang, you have sum great ideas!!!

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

I have the B&W companion because I also haul a gooseneck trailer and need the in bed ball. I'm trying to envision what or where your problem is and just not seeing it. I have had no issues with my hitch which was bought new in 2015 or so. So, definitely not as old.

All I can say about other hitch options. Specifically the Anderson which I thought I wanted until I looked at the pictures on Amazon. Before you buy an Anderson make sure you check out those pictures. It will make you appreciate all the Steel in the B&W hitch.


OP’s B&W is an older style. His base attaches to a square post that drops into the gooseneck hitch with “U” bolts holding base to post. There is also a draw down bolt that attaches thru base to top of square post.


Thank You - I will have to look at how mine bolts up and maybe add some lube. Have never added lube to that bolt system.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > B&W Companion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.