cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing gas regulator and hoses

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the camper has been living in the back of my truck for a bit. My oldest and I have been taking it out for hunting season. Camper has worked well, hunting not so much.

I want to improve the connection for the gas tank. The way it is now, the regulator screws into the valve for the gas tank and then a flexible hose goes from the regulator to the connection to the gas system. I have to hook and unhook the tank to go anywhere and the door won't shut when the tank is hooked up.

What do I need to know about regulators and hoses to get this set up correctly?

Single stage vs dual stage regulator.

Horizontal vs verticle regulator.

Potential issues with fittings on a 1995 camper. I would prefer to switch over to the tank fitting which I can just screw on by hand unless there is a reason not to.

The propane is used in the water heater, stove/oven, fridge and furnace.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
18 REPLIES 18

Killingsworth
Explorer
Explorer
Just last week had a hose fail, not leak, but would not allow propane to go through the hose. There must be a check valve in the connection or near the end of the hose that, on mine was stuck closed.
And... it sure seems these hoses have gone up in price from when I bought a couple for my TT.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
That’s too bad that it didn’t fit the other way, but glad you got it fixed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Just to close this thread out. I tried to turn the bottle and it wouldn't fit.

So, I bought a new hose to go from the regulator to the tank with an acme valve on it. Made it long enough to make it easy.

Swapped it out, sprayed with some soapy water. All good.

After hunting season I'd like to move the regulator a bit because it is on a long hose too meaning there is just too much going on. But, that'll need to wait until the freezer has some meat in it which isn't going so well this year.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
how about turn the bottle 1/8 turn and see if regulator allows door to close than.

the point from center to the corner of box is longer than from center to side of box.

It's worth a shot.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
This looks a bit shorter and should attach direct.
Yes 11" WC

https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-Group-890-0030-Pressure-Regulator

Thanks.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I'd agree with others, just use existing regulator, remove the brass fitting on outlet and replace with hose thats long enough to be easily threaded to bottle.
amazon/Camco-59843-Pigtail-Propane-Connectors
Mounting the reg to wall would be nice.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
how about turn the bottle 1/8 turn and see if regulator allows door to close than.

the point from center to the corner of box is longer than from center to side of box.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
silverbullet555 wrote:

Is there a definite pressure that RVs are supposed to use?

RV regulators are 11 inch water column , approx 0.4 psi . BBC grill regulators are from 10-15 psi . That's why BBQ doesn't work very well on rv gas system unless you bypass the rv regulator .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been dealing with 30 yo propane regulators and they work just fine.
Obviously they can fail any time, but seems they don't age like tires.
Hoses do age, but most of them have triple layers of rubber & reinforcement, so if you don't see cracks on the outside layer it is still good.
Than the "new technology " female thread connectors do have baby teeth.
The build-in push valve often misaligns and the propane just drizzle.
On my BBQ I had to scarp new connector and dig the old, male type from box in my garage.
Newer connectors need oring replacement every few years, when old system had brass to brass sealing who last for 1000 years.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that regulators go bad over time and should be relaced. Is that true?

At some point, I am guessing the regulator was hard plumbed in to the outlet and then whoever changed it went to this set up which isn't ideal.

Solving for the regulator first solves the rest. Plumb it into the main line and then run a rubber line with a BBQ type screw on connector?

Is there a definite pressure that RVs are supposed to use?
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the regulator has a fitting to connect to the cylinder direct so it sticks out too far.

You can just replace that fitting with a rubber pigtail. Any propane dealer can set you up. I can't tell what the threaded fitting size is on the regulator to give a specific suggestion.

Probably 1/4" pipe thread, hard to tell.

Maybe this one: https://www.rvplus.com/cavagna-lp-pigtail-15-acme-w-hangtag-50-a-190-0033.html

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV' s use a lower pressure regulator than a bbq grill . Get the right one . They are also usually mounted to the wall with the fixable hose going from regulator to tank . You should be able to close the door without disconnecting .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd just go and get a replacement grill regulator and install it. A little bit of soapy water in a spray bottle, or even a shot of windex, on the connector to make sure it's not leaking.

What you've got there is a dual stage regulator if I'm not mistaken. Does not appear to be original to the camper, as you should be able to leave it hooked up to run the fridge during travel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.