Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Atlanta to Grand Canyon with 10 days
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Atlanta to Grand Canyon with 10 days

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have suggested the Keys as an alternative except that Thanksgiving is the starting point for the 'season' down there and RV spots are all booked up months ago. Unless you find a cancellation. And if you did find a spot it would probably be at least $100/night range.

When we were under time pressure I'd drive long distances for the first couple of nights to get to interesting country for us. But slow down to 350-400 miles a day on travel days. Now we aim for 200 miles max, but we are retired. I had more vacation time where I worked tho, threes weeks and up.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took the the TT to Asheville NC for our 25th. We regretted not having enough time to explore Smoky Mountain NP more. Easy a couple days in Asheville, a couple in Gatlinburg and then SMNP.

I know it's close to home for you but was a fun trip if you haven't done it. Also Florida panhandle (Destin, Pensacola) is nice.

We have been wanting to go out West with the RV for years but 10 days just not enough time to do it. Member @crappiefisherman did it from Ft Wayne IN with the kids years ago towing the TT. He had 3 weeks and the itinerary was 3 days of 16-hour driving days followed by 3 destination days. He covered the Grand Canyon, Zions, Yellowstone etc.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

rctaw

Lucedale, MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first time we went to the Grand Canyon we did it in 10 days. From South Mississippi it took 2.5 to 3 days of driving to get to Williams, AZ. This was with no stopping at attractions. While there we spent one day taking the train from Williams to the south rim. We took one day to drive to the south rim and then two days seeing the surrounding National Monuments (Sunset Crater, Wupatki, Walnut Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert). We then spent 3 days driving back home. It is a major "driving" vacation when done this way, but we don't mind driving long distances.
With that being said, we have since returned to the Grand Canyon three more times. We now take more time getting there to do all of the Route 66 towns and attractions and other things like El Morro National Monument for example. All of our trips have been in the summer in good weather and thankfully have been trouble free. My worry for you is winter weather. I would think that it could make this trip much tougher no matter how long you take to do it. There are stretches of I40 with very high winds during the summer and I'm not sure if that gets better or worse in the winter.
So bottom line: I would do a 10 day summer trip. I don't think I would try a 10 day winter trip unless the weather was really good. (I will say that I have no idea what the weather in that area is like in early December but I'm sure that you would have to be ready for anything from warm temps to freezing with snow)

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Celebrating a 30th anniversary inside a truck for three straight days each way will truly be memorable. You may not need to get a card for your 31st!

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said/implied - that doesn't sound like an enjoyable trip to me. Too much driving and not enough time enjoying. Nice thought but I suspect your won't remember the trip fondly.

Kevin

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you extend your trip? We live in Idaho and we took two weeks to travel and stop from here through Utah to the North and South rim. It may work out for you, even in that timeframe depending on the way you like to travel.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you could stretch it out to 13-14 days I'd say go for it.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't never did anything----that being said I have done this very trip twice from Baltimore.....Last year I went from Baltimore to West Palm Beach. Drove both ways with no stops except for fuel 36ft DP towing 30ft enclosed car trailer. I will be 80 next birthday!!!!!

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it. We often drive at night when there is less traffic and easier to get in and out of fuel stops.It is also easier to find a spot in a rest area to take a nap. If you need a good over nighter, Mustang Run RV park is great. Most pull throughs and full hook ups.All roads and sites are concrete. Nice bathrooms,swimming pool and dog run. $49 a night.http://www.mustangrunrvpark.com/

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Can't never did anything----that being said I have done this very trip twice from Baltimore.....Last year I went from Baltimore to West Palm Beach. Drove both ways with no stops except for fuel 36ft DP towing 30ft enclosed car trailer. I will be 80 next birthday!!!!!

Baltimore to W.Palm is 1000 miles down flat roads, he is talking about almost twice as far. Not the same thing. And did you enjoy your trip? We did 1200 miles in 30 hours once and I certainly did not enjoy it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Atlanta to Grand Canyon with 10 days
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.