Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Spendy used tow vehicle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Spendy used tow vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, if you are looking for a diesel in a big family hauler like that, GM will be putting the 3.0L diesel in the 2021 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon. It will make about 266hp/477lb-ft which compares to the 250hp/505lb-ft the 7.3L had with an auto in 2001. Although the new GM will have a 10-speed which will make a huge difference towing versus the 4-speed in the Excursion.

Main drawback of the GM is that it will likely cost more than twice as much as that Excursion and it will have lower payload/tow ratings. I believe the tow rating is only 8,300 lbs while the Excursion was over 11k. It would be nice if they would make it available with a 2500 frame/suspension.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

alexleblanc wrote:

proof that a new 3/4ton or 1ton SUV would sell well imo. Ford, GM , Ram are you listening?

Yeah, no...you get weird things happening with small volume specialty vehicles. By this logic, Ford, GM and Ram should start mass producing Ferrari knock offs because the prices are high.

Likely wouldn't make financial sense but for $35k, could you pick up a more recent model 1/2 ton Expedition (maybe 10yr old with good body...maybe with a blown engine) and an old F250 with a good 7.3 and transplant the engine. You could also swap out axle/suspension to beef up the capability.

If you spent $20k on doner vehicles, that would leave you $15k for the transplant and suspension upgrades. Just a question of if you can squeeze the 7.3 in without major surgery on the engine bay.

I just don't get the love affair with the old diesels (of every flavor). Sure, they were impressive when they were made - but that was 20 years ago.

In both performance and economy, the 3.5 EcoBoost (or Hemi or 6.2 for that matter) are just flat out better engines than a old 5.9 or 7.3.

And that doesn't even scratch the surface of the upgrades inside the vehicles - touchscreen radios, adaptive cruise, park assist, lane assist, CarPlay......that are included on the new vehicles. Sure some you can add, but not all of them.

Sorry. Hard pass on something like this. Especially at this price.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I just don't get the love affair with the old diesels (of every flavor). Sure, they were impressive when they were made - but that was 20 years ago.

In both performance and economy, the 3.5 EcoBoost (or Hemi or 6.2 for that matter) are just flat out better engines than a old 5.9 or 7.3.

And that doesn't even scratch the surface of the upgrades inside the vehicles - touchscreen radios, adaptive cruise, park assist, lane assist, CarPlay......that are included on the new vehicles. Sure some you can add, but not all of them.

As I mentioned, financially, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

But, they don't offer the 3.5Ecoboost in a 3/4 ton platform but even then, the 7.3 actually is better for efficiency (Our F250 with 7.3 got low 20's MPG with 13 MPG towing a 5th wheel) and they are proven to last pretty much...forever.

Only place the newer engines really win is peak horse power. Load up the ecoboost with a big trailer and expect 8-9mpg towing if you are lucky.

As far as other upgrades beyond the engine...that's why I suggested a transplant and suspension upgrade. Of course touchscreens and parking assist aren't high priorities in a tow vehicle for many.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father still has his 2001 F250 with a 7.3L that has over 350k on it. I have towed with it many times. The mpg computer is waaayyyy off compared to actual. It will generally say 18-20, but actual is 13-14 mpg which makes sense since Fuelly has it at 13.9 mpg combined average with 99 vehicles and 1.6 million miles tracked. My dad used to tell people that he got 18-20 mpg until I showed him his actual numbers.

I also used to have an F150 HD Ecoboost with a 6-speed. Fords algorithm they used to compute mpg must have gotten way better because it would say I was getting 16-17 mpg while I was actually getting 15-16 mpg. So going by the computers in both trucks, you would think my F150 Ecoboost was getting worst fuel economy, but in reality my Dad's 7.3L PSD was getting worst fuel mileage. It even gets worse fuel mileage than my Ram 2500 CTD(both stock and tuned), and my brother's old 2012 6.7L PSD even though the computer says it gets better mpg.

Towing the same trailer, the 7.3L gets about 1 mpg better than the Ecoboost but it it is kind of hard to calculate because it is very rare that we would tow the same trailer for a full tank so conditions were never the same. Towing performance was a lot better with the Ecoboost, but that is to be expected with over 100 more horsepower and two extra gears for better torque multiplication. Since it was an HD F150, it handled the load about the same if not a little better. I would hands down go with F150 Ecoboost if given the choice between the two especially since I was unloaded more than I was loaded and it got about two mpg better unloaded with a lot more power.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

As I mentioned, financially, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

But, they don't offer the 3.5Ecoboost in a 3/4 ton platform but even then, the 7.3 actually is better for efficiency (Our F250 with 7.3 got low 20's MPG with 13 MPG towing a 5th wheel) and they are proven to last pretty much...forever.

Only place the newer engines really win is peak horse power. Load up the ecoboost with a big trailer and expect 8-9mpg towing if you are lucky.

As far as other upgrades beyond the engine...that's why I suggested a transplant and suspension upgrade. Of course touchscreens and parking assist aren't high priorities in a tow vehicle for many.

Sorry, but your position is hard to justify. The only real place the diesel Excursion has an advantage is tow rating (11,000 vs 9,200 in the current Expedition). Payload is the same. It probably would get better MPG towing, but it wouldn’t even be close in no towing MPG. The current full size SUVs would be MUCH more pleasurable to drive towing or not.

And if you don’t think the upgraded electronics are an advantage in a tow vehicle, I’d be curious if you ever really have experienced them.

Even if this was only a dedicated tow vehicle, I’d still go with one of the more modern Expeditions or Burbs. Especially when it wouldn’t take much more $ to get into one vs this Excursion.

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like this Fummins Excursion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMA3d585Ro

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Love affair with old diesels."

* This post was edited 10/09/20 05:04pm by ppine *

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow its a 35k suburban? I bought an 02 7.3L because my mechanic friends said its a great choice for a budget tow vehicle. I use it as a daily driver. Like another guy said they sure do have a cult following. I get 18-20mpg driving like a slow poke. Around 10-12 towing also driving like a slow poke.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 03:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktosv wrote:

$35k for a 20 year old Michigan vehicle for sale in North Carolina? It better show that it was owned by a snowbird and didn’t spend any time in Michigan from Nov through the end of March!!

The dealer has it advertised as a one owner, but the car fax shows two owners and two accidents.

Anytime an owner moves to another state and titles it in that new state CarFax records it as a new owner as they are following the VIN not the person.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

ktosv wrote:

$35k for a 20 year old Michigan vehicle for sale in North Carolina? It better show that it was owned by a snowbird and didn’t spend any time in Michigan from Nov through the end of March!!

The dealer has it advertised as a one owner, but the car fax shows two owners and two accidents.

Anytime an owner moves to another state and titles it in that new state CarFax records it as a new owner as they are following the VIN not the person.

Not to mention I don't belive in Carfax. They have recorded wrong info for years. I for one dislike Carfax. It's being used for its intended purpose which was for information in buying a used car. It's now being used to devalue cars.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Spendy used tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.