cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater Mixing Valve Issue

Ronaldlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have an issue with the mixing valve in the motorhome. Sediment keeps stopping up the valve and does not allow any hot water to flow. I flushed the water heater and had a new valve installed and on the first trip out it did it the first time I turned the water heater on..Any thoughts as to what I can do.. It is in the shop again and they want another $400.00 to clean the mixing valve and reinstall. This is a 10 gallon Atwood. They also said the water heater may be deteriorating? Can anyone offer any suggestions.
7 REPLIES 7

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
A water softener along with the vinegar flush every year has worked for me. Last year I installed a whole house RO system. The campground in Florida has questionable water so this is a big improvement for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
Remove the mixing valve and replumb. Remove the thermostat and replace it with a standard 140° stat. Those mixing valve systems from Atwoods were nothing but a problem from the get-go.

Richard

XT Models (Mixing Valves) use a 160*F T-stat
as mentioned replace with a standard Atwood T-stat (140*F) should you delete the mixing valve
You will also need to change out the t-stat Brown wire connector from a 'PIN' type (used on XT) to a 'Small Spade' type (used with the 140*F T-stat

Mixing Valve in concept is/was a good idea......higher water temp allows more available hot water due to outlet temp controlled to 130*F from Mixing Valve
Unfortunately scale/calcium in water source clogs up the Hot inlet side of Mixing Valve causing luke warm/cold water output
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the mixing valve and replumb. Remove the thermostat and replace it with a standard 140° stat. Those mixing valve systems from Atwoods were nothing but a problem from the get-go.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I posted in your 'other' thread but is got closed

Here is the info concerning your Mixing Valve

**Highly doubt it is due to tank...tank is Aluminum with a Zinc Cladding

Your issue is build up of Scale/calcium

Need to do a Vinegar Soak

2 parts Vinegar to 1 part water...FILL water heater via T&P Relief valve (remove add solution reinstall)Then allow water heater to go thru 4-5 heating cycles
*Let it run overnight
Then drain/flush crud from tank thoroughly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't have a sediment filter for all pedestal water then you may need to replace the HW.

If the "mixing" valve is the winterizing bypass valve then that suggests rather large sediment. Mixing hot/cold water usually occurs at the faucets.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
inline strainer, couple bucks ,would catch the sediment.p.s find a different dealer should not take a hour to take apart clean back together.