cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing used...how to know if it is stolen or not?

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'm in the market for a used truck camper...first time to have a TC. I was surprised to find that for much of the country, no title is required for a truck camper...but in thinking on it, I guess that sort of makes sense for it to be consider an "accessory" rather than a vehicle in and of itself.

So, before I will feel comfortable laying out north of $10K, I feel I need some type of assurance the camper is legitimate. I'd hate to buy what could be a stolen camper, only to find this out later and then be out my $10K+ AND the camper.

So, how do those of your with TC experience handle this? If I'm buying from an original owner, I'd think they should have the original sale documents...in which case I'd be fine with having these accompanied by a bill of sale from that same person. But, what about when there is no clear transfer history...what to do in this case? Is there some way to search for stolen vehicles? I also believe that not all (if any?) TC do not have a VIN. If no VIN, do they have a serial number or some way to mark it in a way that identifies it as a particular item?
42 REPLIES 42

urbex
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Raise a hand who bought on craigslist an item for less than 20% of its original value?
Do you really think the seller paid for it full price?

Really don't understand how this has any bearing on...well..anything. 15 years ago, I paid over $40K for my Cadillac, and just sold it for $5K - less than 15% of original value. Last time I buy a new car :S

There is a national database for stolen items as part of the NCIC. Unfortunately, generally only law enforcement or criminal justice agencies have access to it for both reporting and checking. As others mentioned, the easiest & quickest method is just to ask local enforcement to check to see if it pops as stolen.

If you're in a state that titles them, you may also be able to check with whatever version of a motor vehicles department your state has for any leins on it.
1990 Ford F350 CCLB DRW 7.3 4x4
1990 Lance LC980 truck camper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well bottom line, if it’s really a concern for the OP, buy it from a dealer then it’s not your problem even if someone traded in a stolen camper. (That would be a cool way to get a discount on a new camper...)
Or barring that, if you’re a decent judge of character then it shouldn’t be an issue buying privately.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just putting this out there; if it was stolen, and had no VIN, ID#, or whatever. The original owner would have a tough time proving it was theirs anyway. Barring distinct features, customization's, damage, sticker, etc. And for that, they'd need pic's to prove a match. Your likely talking a lot of same camper brand and models on the road. And if the camper was insured, the original owner has likely been reimbursed and has a new rig. Doubtful they are going to chaise down every rig that looks like theirs they see and interrogate the people using it.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think each state has its reason to title TC or not.
Being equipment hauler, I ask few DOT officers why they don't enforce law when Dodge 3500 pulls 35,000 trailers. The answer was "we don't have any reports about the situation creating problems".
But for some reason those rigs are popular on West Coast, when not heard about on East Coast.
Coming to choice of voting - some journalist analyzed presidential and vice presidential debates.
About 80 -90% of arguments used in them are not correct, if not plain lie.
Take your pick?

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
Hear Hear,
Great analysis, Thanks for bringing it front and center, as always information is good.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
d3500ram wrote:
We are obviously "getting-in-the-weeds" on this discussion, but if someone if overly concerned, I'll bet there is a company out there willing to write a surety bond (for a fee of course.)

Best answer yet...
Although the OP has a valid point. I’ve never much considered it.
Bought a $50k boat with no title. Wasn’t required. But on that one the old owner had a loan on it. Wouldn’t have changed my mind of he’d owned it outright

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Raise a hand who bought on craigslist an item for less than 20% of its original value?
Do you really think the seller paid for it full price?

I’ve bought many items/vehicles for < 20% of original price.
Just bought a 2001 Tahoe last year for $5k.
A $800 snomachine in AK.
The last car I bought my sister.
A 94 Chevy pickup a few years ago.
I could go on.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder
Why dont ALL states have same laws to make it simple and easy to track stolen stuff!?
So much for the UNITED states huh Lol

My homemade TC is just a load on my truck,no vin no title no bs

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, yes, u seem to understand that if you have a stolen camper that the owner is entiltled to have it back , and you nothing.

I know of no way to run a check on a non titled non vin'd big piece of camping equipment . Like the washer/dryer, there is not necessarily going to be any records other than the original owner having a receipt, or maybe even specific photographs to prove it is his - somehow over the other same TCs that rolled off the line that same day...

You can check with every police prencint across the nation to see if any TCs were reported stolen. Unlikely a thief would steal then resell in the same area, usualy pros move stolen cars across the country. If you bought it from a popular online ad site, then that is first clue that maybe the seller is not worried who sees the ad. The first thing a victim will do is check all the for sale ads.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
specta wrote:
BurbMan wrote:

WRONG.

I believe you misunderstood his comment.

Wouldn't be the first time... 🙂

I do it all the time. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to 2009 truck campers in Idaho needed nothing..A bill of sale was all you got(sometimes a certificate of manufacturer like on
my Zeiman trailer),and you kept that as proof of purchase..In that bill of sale the owner was to put several things like ID etc and the price and there was no lean on it etc etc...Never ever an issue and I never ever heard of an issue and I was born prior to 1950..LOL

I always ask for a bill of sale,even for say a generator and have witnesses..The old shake of the hand used to work but anymore,not so much.

The op asking about a stolen truck camper,well,if I had any doubt about the TC or the seller,I would pass...Period...There are great buys on CL and some even say they do not have a title right up front..I would run as fast as I could from that..

Since we all live in different states,we can't apply the rules of our state to someone elses for a definite answer..Just things to look for...RIGHT...LOL
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
It's all in the bill of sale and how it's worded..

WRONG. Selling a stolen camper is a crime, making the seller a criminal. Receiving stolen property is also a crime, making the buyer a criminal. Having a bill of sale as an agreement that documents these crimes does absolutely nothing to protect either party, regardless of what it says.

Having a bill of sale that says the seller represents and warrants that he owns the camper and that it's not stolen would probably keep the buyer out of jail since he can claim he took reasonable measures to ensure they property wasn't stolen, BUT the camper is still going back to its rightful owner and the buyer is out his $10k.

Surely you are joking, eh - a crime this petty is massively eclipsed on a regular basis and without any consequence or accountability whatsoever by our Elite P. Class - lol ??

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:
BurbMan wrote:

WRONG.

I believe you misunderstood his comment.

Wouldn't be the first time... 🙂

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are obviously "getting-in-the-weeds" on this discussion, but if someone if overly concerned, I'll bet there is a company out there willing to write a surety bond (for a fee of course.)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.