Explorer
Explorer
Deleted by author
33 REPLIES 33

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

YOU keep going back to the same place and that IS your problem.

Had that conversation with you many times before.

Don't like the work, go somewhere else.

It IS that easy.

We never really had that one sided conversation. I have been getting vehicles inspected for 58 years and used dozens of places, the only difference is that I check their work. The one example I showed in the photo was at the largest Ford dealer in Lancaster County, had it been you, a brake failure would have happened.

While you will refuse to believe anything I write, I will give a few examples below:

Charged for two inspections while never completing one.
Had wheel bearings filled with turnings and failed.
Completely loose upper control arms, shims fell out.
35lb tires inflated to 90lb.
No cotter pin in spindle.
140 ft lb lugnuts torqued to 70.
Damaged hub caps.
Wheel lugs stripped.
Bearing grease contaminated after just 6 miles of service.
New cotter pins replaced with extremely undersized pins.
Brake shoes replaced needlessly and without authorization.
Attempted axle jacking near the middle, stopped them and left.

The few examples above were done at 8 different places, all highly recommended. Keep on believing what you want, and I'll just keep correcting the bad work if I survive it.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
NC I think I paid $12. But the vehicles I have registered in MD NEVER have to be inspected other than emissions every 2 years and diesels are exempt from that, $13.

You are partially right on MD inspections. When first bought or moved into the state there is an initial inspection. That can get really really expensive on an older car or truck. The inspections are not done by the state but by dealers and repair facilities. As they know you won't be back they tear stuff apart to fail things. I was once failed by a shop on a car I just bought because it had surface rust on a metal line to the steering rack.
Puma 30RKSS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Yes, there are bonehead mechanics, but not all of them are boneheads like one person on this forum like to make it sound like..

There are more professional inspection mechanics than the boneheads.

So what did you think of the brake hose pictured above? I could write a book on the non-professional work I have encountered.

YOU keep going back to the same place and that IS your problem.

Had that conversation with you many times before.

Don't like the work, go somewhere else.

It IS that easy.

I live in a very rural place but yet there is literally hundreds of State Inspection states with in a 20 minute radius of my home.

Took me a few yrs to find a good shop after the first shop I used closed.

The place I go to is a tire shop (they handle pretty much any tires from wheel barrows to tractor trailers), they have been in business since the 1930s, has been handed down through that family several generations now.. Ironically that family is related to one of my High school classmates and one of the long time mechanics is a High School classmate of my DW. They will change ball joints, brakes and other suspension parts but they don't do motor or transmission work and they are 15 minutes from my home.

I also have one place that is less than 3 miles from my home, I don't use them very often because they are pretty slow at getting work done.. Always have to leave vehicle there and they have short work hrs but they do inspections and general mechanic work..

I am very sure that where every you live, you have many choices in Inspection stations, you can't be much more rural than I am and if you are in or near a big city you have hundreds of choices in a few city blocks.

Do like I do, give them one chance and if they disappoint move on.. Once you find a place with mechanics you find acceptable then stay with that one..

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Yes, there are bonehead mechanics, but not all of them are boneheads like one person on this forum like to make it sound like..

So what did you think of the brake hose pictured above? I could write a book on the non-professional work I have encountered.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Just curious: for you folks that live in vehicle inspection states, it is waived for 100% electric cars?

In PA, Yes.
Pretty much anything that has brakes need inspected. If a trailer is light enough that it doesn't require brakes, I think that is under 6,000 lbs but I could be wrong. Everything else gets a safety inspection. Lights, brakes, windshield and wipers, mirrors, tires, airbags, seatbelts and then there is the separate emissions inspection.

"Emissions" systems inspection most likely would be exempt from PA safety inspection on an EV. PA has a split system, Emissions and safety.

Some areas of PA are subject to BOTH Emissions and safety inspection.

Some areas do not require emissions testing but all areas require the inspection mechanic for safety inspection to check for cat converter or any other visible signs of missing or tampering with emission equipment for the yr of vehicle.

EV vehicles have brakes, tires, headlights, turn signals and they have frames.. Rust out on frames, non op lights, damage to windshield, bad brakes and worn tires will flunk a EV from passing.

While I do feel inspection can be a pain, in some respects at least folks vehicles are getting some repairs and attention.. Some of the junk I see that comes in from Ohio is amazing to see.. Especially when you can often see all the way through the vehicle and that is not where glass is supposed to be..

I have only had a couple of inspection states be jerks with me for the last 30 some yrs. With those, I note where they are and never visit them again.. So far, those places HAVE gone out of business.

Most PA Inspection mechanics are fair with their assesment of the vehicles condition. These mechanics are INDEPENDENT and not associated or on the state payroll. They must take classes on their own dime, they must get recertified on their own dime, they must pay for their own testing, they pay their own way.

Garages must also get certified, that costs them money, they must have proper tools, proper place to handle the inspections, state does not give them freebee passes to do this.

There is considerable amount of documentation and record keeping that the garage and mechanic must do, they must submit their documentation to the state. Something is not documented correctly or submitted they can face fines or loss of inspection license. Both are subject to audits at any time.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
CFerguson wrote:
Just curious: for you folks that live in vehicle inspection states, it is waived for 100% electric cars?

In PA, Yes.
Pretty much anything that has brakes need inspected. If a trailer is light enough that it doesn't require brakes, I think that is under 6,000 lbs but I could be wrong. Everything else gets a safety inspection. Lights, brakes, windshield and wipers, mirrors, tires, airbags, seatbelts and then there is the separate emissions inspection.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
lane hog wrote:
Inspection?... Sounds like a racket.

Until your a tech and you see what's rolling around out there on the streets. Some of it makes it scary to know it's on the road right behind You!

I have had considerable damage done to my vehicles over the years by the PA State Inspection monkeys. Here is my latest damage where the monkey bent the steel brake line pulling the brake hose tightly against the coil spring. Had I not inspected their "work" it would have failed, now that is scary.

If you think this is about safety, think again. The garages have an association that lobbies for the racket. For example; I have vehicles that are exempt from emissions inspection due to low mileage but I am required to pay about the same amount to have the exempt sticker put on.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
lane hog wrote:

Until your a tech and you see what's rolling around out there on the streets. Some of it makes it scary to know it's on the road right behind You!

It's a racket.

Only a handful of states have a vehicle inspection that goes beyond emissions testing, and nobody's inspecting trucks that come in from Canada or Mexico.

In IL we don't have inspections other than emissions, but we should from what I'm seeing on the road! People will come in because their AC isn't working and they do not want the rusty ready to leak brake/fuel lines fixed. Or the brakes with less than 3% left on the pads. Or ball joints/tie rods that are so loose I won't even drive it. Not to mention tires that have 2/32's of tread left. I'll even note on the repair order the car is unsafe to drive.
So it's not a racket!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
lane hog wrote:

It's a racket.

Only a handful of states have a vehicle inspection that goes beyond emissions testing, and nobody's inspecting trucks that come in from Canada or Mexico.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, you got over charged considerably.
I've never paid over $16 in over 20 yrs in VA.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
First mistake was having anything done at CW. Next time go to the local shop.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit