cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PacNorthwest to Tennessee in January?

sunfan03
Explorer
Explorer
Jumping back into RV-ing after a 6 year hiatus and just found out the DD's classes in Tennessee will start Jan. 25...so need opinions on feasibility of road-tripping her down from Western Washington state (Bremerton), maybe go to Florida for a week and then returning home....maybe a 1 month road trip...mid-Jan through mid-Feb?

We've never traveled in the winter before, so we'll dive into the advice on other posts, but right now trying to decide if this is do-able/reasonable :h

Recommended routes? thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance!
15 REPLIES 15

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
May would be perfect in comparison.
I have lived around Puget Sound when the grass needs to be mowed in Feb. It is easy to think of the western US in those terms.

I have also lived in Wyoming at 7,200 feet when it can snow in any month, and it was -38 degrees in my driveway. Traveling in winter is not just difficult, it is dangerous.

sunfan03
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Charlestonsouthern...fortunately, our DDs love a good adventure and have fond memories from our family rv road trips.

Keep persistent in asking your granddaughter to join you...she may surprise you and decide that she wants to go. It's so satisfying to explore in your own rv and at your own pace ❤️

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Your daughter sounds like a wonderful young lady wanting to camp with her family. My granddaughter who is attending University of NC at Chapel Hill is not excited about doing such things with her grandparents, only when she was a very young child. She is a Sophmore this year.

sunfan03
Explorer
Explorer
First - thank you everyone! This group does not disappoint and I really appreciate the advice and wisdom.

I was definitely thinking along the lines of charlestonsouthern's route suggestion (and just planning for extra time) and it helps to know details about I-40 and I-10...

DH and I discussed things tonight...I think we'll just put DD on a plane ??and maybe road trip out in May to pick her up. She doesn't want to miss out on too much RV fun, so that's why we were considering a January trip. We'll have more time to prepare and plan for a May trip.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tell us about your experience hauling a trailer over mountain passes in the snow when it is below zero.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I-90 is still the lowest route. I-40 true Flagstaff is 7000'

weather weather --- plan according
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Coolmom, sunfan's daughter needs to be in Tenn. for college in late January; thus, I-10 will be pretty much cleaned up from the storms by then; maybe a few small detours; afterall, I-10 is a main artery across the US.

However, coolmom lives in western Washington state; going south on the west coast probably means she would need to travel over at least one high altitude mountain pass in Dec.-Jan. While towing or driving an RV. I know very little regarding that territory; just what my Canadian friends tell me on their way to Mexico.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Truthfully I would not do it except across the southern route and then back north, which is at least 2 days extra driving. The alternative is straight across I-40. On I-40 you could easily get stuck waiting out a blizzard, in a RV with frozen water and inadequate heat. There are physical gates to close I-40 across TX and OK for a reason.

I live in TN. January has mild days but quite often we get deluges of cold rain, and then there are the lovely ice storms.

Keep in mind that the Gulf Coast along I-10 has been devastated by storms this year and lodging will be in short supply, including RV spots.

Put that girl on a plane and her belongings on a FedEx truck. It will be cheaper and more fun for all involved.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many people seem to think towing a trailer in the snow is easy. It isn't. I would try the I-5 route south before coming across. Unless you get lucky the weather can be terrible in the northern plains in the dead of winter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
Sunfan, I know it will take a heck of a lot longer, but we would follow the "warm zone" heading east across the continent. First head south toward southern Calif., then head east across the bottom of Texas on I-10.

I-10 is a long way south of TN. Maybe I-40.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Just watch the weather for snowstorms and any ice and plan on some downtime if it shows. I think once you get east of the Rockies, youll be fine. +1 on the warm route if conditions warrant.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great trip. Water freeze precautions, chains/cables, extra blankets etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Sunfan, I know it will take a heck of a lot longer, but we would follow the "warm zone" heading east across the continent. First head south toward southern Calif., then head east across the bottom of Texas on I-10. Once almost to the east coast, you can turn north toward Tenn. All that trip time, you can utilize the RV without winterizing. When you are about 300 miles from Tenn., check your weather forecast to determine if you need to winterize before crossing the Tenn. border.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Almost assuredly it will be very cold. Depending on your RV you may or may not be able to use your water system. And almost just as sure, there will be winter weather systems. And many RV parks will be closed. You would need to allow plenty of time for a flexible travel schedule. You might get lucky with few if any delays. And you might end up taking a week or more longer than you had planned just to get to Tennessee.

Doable? Reasonable? Sure with careful advance planning.