Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to drive a new Ram Warlock the weekend after next. I'm probably between it and the Titan just due to pricing, but we were very impressed with the Titan and were shocked by just how much. I can say the interior fit and finish and quality were far better than the Chevys, Fords, and Rams I've been in. Asian built vehicles tend to have a better reliability record. I've been a new car dealer service advisor for 22 years and have seen a lot.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

MitchF150, on this forum tows a 7,000 GVWR TT, with a similar 13 150 max tow, and is happy with the towing experience. I think his TT is about 28' OAL. I do think some WDHs work better than others.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Mitch here. [emoticon]

Yes, it's a comfortable tow with my new Rockwood. It's #2000 heavier and about 4' longer than the Prowler I towed before. 26' OAL.

I can tell the difference for sure going up the grades however. Going down the road on level ground, no real difference..

By the grades, I mean, it takes a bit more pedal, but it still does it just fine with the Eco.. It does run a bit hotter on the grades and I am now running 92 octane fuel, but that's all in the owners manual anyway, so no big deal...

I use just a standard EAZ-Lift WD setup (#1000 bars) and it's just fine for how I have it setup.

Thanks again Jerry for the shout out.. I do enjoy towing my new rig, but would I tow any heavier?? Not with this truck.. I like the comfortable tow I have now and if I did go to a heavier trailer, I'll get a heavier truck... [emoticon]

Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stclairm wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

A Lance model 2375 travel trailer is 25’ and 5000 lbs. looks like it fits your requirements.

Man, that is one I've been eyeing. It's in the same money category as Outdoors RV and Northwoods Manufacturing. I really like the Artic Fox 25Y (6640 UVW) and Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RLS (6650 UVW). These seem to be the 3 trailers that are significantly higher quality than the more recognized names at about $10,000-15000 more. Unfortunately, none of them are anywhere NEAR North Carolina, so it would require a vacation just to go buy one. That might happen depending on what loan/rate I can secure. I don't feel like buying another "inexpensive" one to deal with all the same stupid things breaking/leaking. At least these are still quite a bit less than an Airstream!

Those are both nice TT’s but they are both 10k GVW trailers, too much for a 1/2 ton truck to comfortably handle. The Lance is a 7k GVW trailer, much more comfortable for your F150. Good luck.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I know they are rated for anywhere from 9200-12500 lbs max towing and abound 1000# TW Back in 2013, I wasn't thrilled with how our 2013 F150 3.5 EB CC 4x4 max tow (rated for 12k#) felt suspension wise with about 5500# and 28FT behind it.

The most important numbers for carrying weight is the trucks RAWR and GVWR packages....not its tow rating

#1. 7850 gvwr HDPP...4800 rawr....2500 lb in the bed payloads.

#2. 7600 gvwr...4550 rawr... 2200 lb in the bed payloads

#3. 7050 gvwr...4050 rawr... 1800 lb in the bed payloads

#4. 6750 gvwr...3800 rawr...1500 lb in the bed payloads.

Also the GVWR/RAWR changes every few years but this will give you a idea of how many packages the F150 has.

The 'MAX TOW" option doesn't mean the truck can carry more or the max weight. Only the F150HDPP can.
"Max tow" options is a 3.55 gears w/elect locking/bigger fuel tank/aux tranny cooler/7 pin harness/engine oil cooler/pro trailer back up assist/brake controller/etc. Good option but does nothing for carrying max weight.
The F150HDPP has axle capacity for around 2500 lbs in the bed. The 3.5 EB or 5.0 v-8/10 speed tranny and 3.55 gears won't have any issues towing that size trailer.
To many people bit into the MAX TOW option with small gvwr/rawr thinking it can tow the max size trailer. Gotta' look at the real load carrying numbers.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what era or F150 you are looking at.. Mine is 13 max tow. My door jamb stickers.. [emoticon]

Mitch

[image]
[image]
[image]

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind, we don't carry any water and only go for the weekend, so we don't load it down with a ton of stuff. I don't have a truck right now, just our Jeep Cherokee that we will be trading. I realize they are a higher GVW, but I'm not going to load 3,000 lbs in them.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed my trailer with a half ton, three-quarter ton, one ton, and one ton dually. Gas and Diesel. There is a difference.

To me, it depends on how far, and how often. And the purpose of travel. My trailer was intended for campgrounds (within 300-400 miles) with my daughters. If I was traveling across the US, and not staying in one spot often, I would want a smaller trailer. If I was traveling across the US, or thought I would be, I would be going bigger than half ton.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you get into the 28', 7-8k lbs range you are getting to the area of needing a specially equipped F-150, so just for fun, I went on Fords website, and built 2 trucks, an F-150 XLT 4X4, with heavy duty tow package, and heavy payload package. It was just over $50k, then I built an F-250 XLT 4X4, and did not have to add any heavy duty packages, and it was just under $48k.
So really you might as well go with the 3/4 ton, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to worry about payload, and you have more truck to handle the load.
The MPGs, will suffer a bit, but unless you put a bunch of miles on it daily, that shouldn't be a concern.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little more on the door sticker and ratings. If 2013 or later, SAE J2807, rates our trucks on a real world test. So, unlike the old days, you can probably trust the numbers. Read up on SAE J2807. A lot better than opinion and the marketing department.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.