Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rent a uhaul and tow trash to the landfill.
I would load a couple dirt bikes and go camping.
I would buy a 3/4 ton before i bought a decent size trailer.

This topic comes up on the camping forums frequently. To me the biggest problem is that the half ton guys wont ever admit it comes down to money. THey blame the choice on everything else. Reality is if they won the lottery they would have a big ole truck for towing and something else as a daily driver. Thats what i would do. But i lack money. So my daily driver is an old clunky 3/4 ton that only tows a handful of times a year. Seems about right to me!!

manley

Wichita Falls, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow my Open Range (in my signature) with an ‘18 F150 (also in my signature). I’ve wanted more truck - or less trailer - a number of times. Even though the GVWR of of the trailer is 9,900 pounds and the truck is rated to tow 11,700, as others have said it really comes down to payload of the TV. With a Hensley hitch, load range E tires, a Helwig sway bar, air bags, and Bilstein 5100s all the way around, my experience is “acceptable.” Please note that means very little margin, and I’d consider myself much more experienced towing than average.

[image]

* This post was edited 10/09/20 06:49am by manley *

2018 F150 XLT FX4 SCREW Ecoboost 3.5L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either way, I will most likely try to find something 6000# UVW or less. I can't see driving all the way across the country for the Northwoods or Outdoors RV. I'm really trying to find something that compares to the Lance 2375 just so we have some choices. There might not be much, if any except the stuff that is quite a bit less money. Then it's the "well do I pay for higher quality now or deal with fixing the lesser expensive one later". Of course, they are all man made and all have issues to some extent.
Wopachop, that is a true statement. I would have a 2500 and a larger trailer and something else for my wife to daily drive. I drive a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE. There is a "budget" of sorts. I just see a 2500 series sweet Ram night edition with a 6.4 Hemi and consider it, but in reality, she might like a 1500 better and the gas MPG is horrible on those 2500's.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Once you get into the 28', 7-8k lbs range you are getting to the area of needing a specially equipped F-150, so just for fun, I went on Fords website, and built 2 trucks, an F-150 XLT 4X4, with heavy duty tow package, and heavy payload package. It was just over $50k, then I built an F-250 XLT 4X4, and did not have to add any heavy duty packages, and it was just under $48k.
So really you might as well go with the 3/4 ton, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to worry about payload, and you have more truck to handle the load.
The MPGs, will suffer a bit, but unless you put a bunch of miles on it daily, that shouldn't be a concern.
But with the F150 you get the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 10 speed transmission; a wonderful combination. Well worth the extra $2K especially if that truck is a daily driver most of the time.
Also, there are generally a lot more generous incentives on the F150.
P.S. I'm 28-feet (30 foot overall) and about 7600 lbs with my F150.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Once you get into the 28', 7-8k lbs range you are getting to the area of needing a specially equipped F-150, so just for fun, I went on Fords website, and built 2 trucks, an F-150 XLT 4X4, with heavy duty tow package, and heavy payload package. It was just over $50k, then I built an F-250 XLT 4X4, and did not have to add any heavy duty packages, and it was just under $48k.
So really you might as well go with the 3/4 ton, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to worry about payload, and you have more truck to handle the load.
The MPGs, will suffer a bit, but unless you put a bunch of miles on it daily, that shouldn't be a concern.

Unfortunately, this only works if you are paying sticker. F150's are notoriously overpriced on their MSRP and you can readily save 20% or more if buying at the right time. I've not seen the same for the HD's.

If you have a payload need that requires the HDDP, you might be in the ordering category, so that changes things. Otherwise, you can get a Max Tow F150 for far less than any HD you'll find out there.

* This post was edited 10/08/20 10:53am by Mickeyfan0805 *

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Either way, I will most likely try to find something 6000# UVW or less. I can't see driving all the way across the country for the Northwoods or Outdoors RV. I'm really trying to find something that compares to the Lance 2375 just so we have some choices. There might not be much, if any except the stuff that is quite a bit less money. Then it's the "well do I pay for higher quality now or deal with fixing the lesser expensive one later". Of course, they are all man made and all have issues to some extent.
Wopachop, that is a true statement. I would have a 2500 and a larger trailer and something else for my wife to daily drive. I drive a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE. There is a "budget" of sorts. I just see a 2500 series sweet Ram night edition with a 6.4 Hemi and consider it, but in reality, she might like a 1500 better and the gas MPG is horrible on those 2500's.

Since you are in FuQuay-Varina Check out Sonnys RV . They have 2 location, one NC near Charlotte and one in SC, Dillon I think.

They made us a good deal on our GD 2500rl. We pull with a F150 2020 ECO max tow and probably 7200 loaded. GD has several TT that would fit a F150 nicely. We love our GD and F150. BTW not affiliated with either.

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, I will revisit Grand Designs stuff. I've driven by them a few times while in that area.
I have noticed they don't "blow" out 2500's like they do 1500's.

manley

Wichita Falls, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Also, there are generally a lot more generous incentives on the F150.

This.
There’re generally NO incentives on the 250/2500 series trucks. However, it’s not at all unusual to buy a half ton $10k under sticker.

Another consideration - most 3/4 tons are too tall (and likely too long) to fit into a standard residential garage.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I’m right at 35’ with the Hensley.

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed a 35.5 foot 8,300 pound travel trailer with two different max tow F150's (2012 and 2016) and they were both fine. Also tried it with a Tundra and would never do that again. Short answer is it depends on the "1/2 ton" truck. Towed that same trailer with a Titan XD Cummins diesel and it was great. Same with a Ram 2500 with the 5.7l gasser.

2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 250" total in my garage. Most of the 1500's are 228-230". I think the 2500 is going to be out of my budget either way and with the horrible MPG even unloaded, I don't think the wife will go for that. I can't stand the new aluminum bodied F150's, so they are out. We would be between the Ram, Nissan, and possibly a GMC.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.