Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to add another trailer to my list. Thor Twilight series. I've been looking at them at Sonny's. These guys are typical salesmen, but check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itJxwpiWzoo
It has Azdel, aluminum structure walls and arched roof, power jacks, etc.

Steven68502

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have 250 inches to work with in my garage and 83 inches in height at the opening. I just picked up a new F250 supercab with short box (148 in wheelbase) last weekend. It fits. But a super crew would not fit. Not sure a regular cab with 8 ft. box would fit either.

2021 GD Imagine 2600RB
2020 F250 XLT 7.3
Previous 2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Previous 2015 Nissan Titan Pro4x

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 37', 10k trailer for thousands of miles with my Tundra. Biggest difference I made was getting a good hitch. The truck was stable, yes I was overloaded, but never really felt unsafe. I got tired of the horrible gas mileage and made the move to my Ram. I did look at the Titan/Cummins combo, but they were really proud of them. Is the trailer more stable with the 3/4 truck, yes, but if set up correctly, the 1/2 will do well.

2020 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Big Horn
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my F150, I had the family sitting in it when I took measurements by the Equalizer videos and reset it up myself. It did seem a little better afterwards, but the bounciness always got on my nerves. Could just have been that I haven't experienced what it is supposed to feel like. My current rig is a Gulfstream 17RWD with a Husky WD hitch and a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 tow pack. The way Campers Inn set it up, the trailer is pitched up more in the front than I'm used to seeing. The Jeep usually bounces once when the trailer does and the steering doesn't get all light and wandering. I thought it looked wrong, so I dropped the hitch head one bolt hole down, boy did that make it worse so I put it back where they had it.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steven68502 wrote:

I also have 250 inches to work with in my garage and 83 inches in height at the opening. I just picked up a new F250 supercab with short box (148 in wheelbase) last weekend. It fits. But a super crew would not fit. Not sure a regular cab with 8 ft. box would fit either.

A reg cab is usually 12-18" shorter than an ext cab with a 6.5' box. My GMs at any rate, have 130ish inch wheel bases. Ford, five etal are all within 5-6" of this, so other than height issues, I would not worry about reg cabs with 8' boxes.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed the 36 ft TT in my sig, 8800 lbs, for 2 years with my old 5.7 Tundra.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The half ton thing gets posted every time the forum needs to up their ratings. Since there are F-150's with torque ratings from 265 lb-ft up to 475 lb-ft, the question becomes rather silly. Same way with payloads from 1,500 pounds all the way up to over 3,000 pounds. Which of these are you most likely to find on your dealer's lot and heavily discounted? hint: It will not be the HD models. Given that in just this one model, one has nearly twice the power and double the payload, including "half ton" in the question can be misleading or even dangerous.

However, since I have owned many half tons, I will put in my two cents. Assuming a middle of the specs half ton with some towing options, I limit myself to 26 foot travel trailers and 6,000 pounds of weight. These are conservative and make for a fun towing experience.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a motorhome, not a camping trailer but I pull a number of trailers with my 2016 F150. The heaviest is over 10,000lbs and 28ft long. I pull this one several times a week for my job. Trips are mostly under 50 miles each way.

All of that said, the truck has all of the power that I need and is very stable pulling all of the trailers that I have.

The truck was ordered with Max Towing Package and factory installed 18" LT tires. I have added 2,000lb Riderite air bags and Rancho 9000 shocks in the rear. I use a common 10,000lb rated weight distributing hitch and 35psi in the air bags.

I had the "opportunity" to use a 2019 F250 diesel for three weeks when somebody hit my F150 and actually prefer the F150 for my use. This is mostly for the quick response of the Ecoboost vs the turbo lag on the Powerstroke and the automatic setting for 4wd that is not available on the F250. I did not use the load distributing hitch on the F250 but would have added it if I had kept the truck much longer. The F250 was better without the weight distributing hitch than the F150 but not good enough in my opinion. The diesel would undoubtedly be in its element on long interstate drives and offer better performance there but I really don't need it with only 10,000lbs. With the fuel prices in my area it is less expensive to feed the Ecoboost even though the Powerstroke did give more miles per gallon.

Keep in mind that all of these trucks are constantly evolving so the year model and equipment on the truck is very important. The 2021 model is rated to pull 3,500lbs more than my truck is plus it comes with Max Payload package when configured the way that I want it so it would easily handle the tongue weight. I may trade up in another year or two.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a hard question. I had a 1500 sierra max tow etc. Towing my 6k lb trailor was fine. But not great. It would tow, just not well over 60/65 mph. Big grades were a problem, i was in the slow down lanes with the 18 wheelers. Addtionally, long hauls were not fun eaither. So you have to consider, distance you travel and terrain. I did NJ to disney last year and between the trucks and the fuel stops i had it, so i got a 2500 this year. Much better, and i can accelerate to pass or enter a busy highway and also stop way faster. For me it was worth the peice of mind. Could the 1500 tow it, sure, but it wasn't fun.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only F150 that I would be interested in that I just found has the XLT black package on it, looks awesome and at the same price point, low 40's. It has a lower GVWR than the Nissan and Ram I am looking at by 300 pounds. I'm sure those airbags and shocks would be a huge difference. It is also rated almost identically to the Titan in max tow weight of 9100 or so pounds. Very few trucks are optioned with max tow packs in 1500's. I think they don't sell well and they figure you can buy a 2500 and be done.
The mountains in NC and VA where we go are pretty substantial too. I want to make sure I can keep my speed up. Didn't have an issue with our 04 Avalanche or the 13 F150 with that when I was pulling around 5500#.
I'm probably going to go with the Titan due to such great financing and it drove so solid. The suspension wasn't bouncy or floaty, felt solid like it would handle a load pretty well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.