cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone Alpine and B&W hitch question

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 F350 SRW and short bed...wondering if I need to get a new “slider” hitch or will a conventional hitch work with the newer front cap designs?

Thanks, Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"
5 REPLIES 5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
kopy kat wrote:
Thanks for the replies...I currently have a Reese Revolution pin box, so I’m not in the habit of worrying about back window clearance.

Is there a standard window to king pin measurement that I can check on my rig?

Never really concerned myself with that measurement , but more importantly being over the axle or just slightly forward. As far as distance , most fifth wheels are 96" wide , I would think you need 48" or more to clear the cab .

Mine is 33" center of kingpin to inside edge of the bed ,so probably another couple inches to the cab . So I am thinking I have around 5" less clearance then the Ford Superduty , with my 2014 Ram 3500.

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies...I currently have a Reese Revolution pin box, so I’m not in the habit of worrying about back window clearance.

Is there a standard window to king pin measurement that I can check on my rig?
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With the FW rounded corners, and most newer models having a bit more length of pin box, a driver that can back a boat without hitting, a TT without hitting, or even your golf cart trailer without hitting, will have no problem with a no slide hitch, especially with a GM or Ford. If you tow a trailer of any kind, totally unaware, you will have problems. A FW...you'll hit tree limbs too, if you don't pay attention.

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Hey Larry, I've had no issue with my 13 F250 using a B&W non-sliding hitch. The B&Ws adjust ahead/back, so put it where it works best for you. Mine has the pin just slightly ahead of axle center, which is about 40.5 inches back from cab. Yes, the new caps are designed for towing with what is actually a standard 6.75 bed. You may not be able to back to 90* with it, but that is not backing anyway, just twisting.

Jerry

I have had my Reese slider mounted on two different trucks ,basically the same as you on my previous Superduty, just slightly forward of axle center. It mounted the same way on my present truck 2014 Ram short bed 3500.

I agree I have no clearance issues with this newer 2015 fifth wheel with the rounded corners. I also tow with an rail mount Andersen, which I have since changed to put my fifth wheel a bit closer to the cab then my previous fifth wheel, and still no clearance issues.

I get away with the Andersen ,as well as the Reese ,without using the sliding feature. Many have a slider ,and still get themselves in trouble ,hitting the cabs, taking out the rear window etc. Again agree ,I can't and don't want or need to go 90 degrees ,but it seems some think that is an important feature. Loose gravel or dirt you can get away with it, but the stress on the suspension on asphalt or concrete is something I don't want .

Is it a good idea to go without slider ,for some not a problem, for others ,well time will tell. I am afraid it wouldn't make much difference for some ,they will get into trouble regardless of which way they go. Towing a fifth wheel takes a lot awareness, and paying attention ,some are just not able do so.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey Larry, I've had no issue with my 13 F250 using a B&W non-sliding hitch. The B&Ws adjust ahead/back, so put it where it works best for you. Mine has the pin just slightly ahead of axle center, which is about 40.5 inches back from cab. Yes, the new caps are designed for towing with what is actually a standard 6.75 bed. You may not be able to back to 90* with it, but that is not backing anyway, just twisting.

Jerry