cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equalizer Shackles Hitting Frame

CamperWill
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, we recently replaced pretty much all of the suspension parts on our tandem axle travel trailer (leaf springs, shackles, equalizers, and bolts) and have run into an issue with the equalizer shackles behind the front axle hitting the frame constantly. This issue did not appear to be present before replacing the equipment. This happens regardless if unhooked, towing level, nose down, or nose up.

We made sure to replace the leaf springs with the same size (26" eye to eye unloaded) per Dexter customer support and per old measurements. We also replaced the equalizer, bolts, and shackles with the Dexter E-Z flex kit(Part #K71-652-00) that was designed to replace the factory Dexter equalizer we had (Original Part #13-104).

Any advice on correcting this?

Drivers Side Back > Front

Passenger Side Front > Back

Original:
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2L I6
2012 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH
Prodigy P3 & Reese Dual Cam
17 REPLIES 17

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
At this point I see two options for you.
1. Contact Dexter. Get them these pictures and see what they say.
2. Find a trailer repair shop, not an RV shop, to give you suggestions. If you decide to move the hanger locations you want to make sure it is a shop that knows what they are doing.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

CamperWill
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
In the 3rd picture labeled original. Is this unsprung? It looks like your stabilizers/jack is down in the background. In the other two pictures is the trailer jacked up the same way?

My thinking is you may have the same rate springs as far as load goes but, since there is an extra leaf, maybe the longer spring flattens out more before (i.e. it is a lower rating by itself than the original long spring) transferring weight to the other springs. This results in a longer/flatter spring when holding the static weight.

The third picture is unsprung, jacks were down and that side of the trailer was lifted off the ground. The other two pictures are with load on the springs, when completely unloaded (e.g. lifted off the ground) the equalizers sit correctly.

If the springs are too long am I correct in assuming the options are:
1) Replace all 4 springs, u-bolts, and bushings again with what I assume should be 25 1/8" springs
2) Find a shop to move the hangers a bit

We had two issues that we tried to resolve, the first issue is one of the rear leaf springs were worn out so we decided to replace all of them with slightly higher capacity ones (We fulltime and tow at max capacity often). The second issue is our ass-end kept scrapping on slight angles when towing leveled so we got lift blocks + thicker spring packs to give it the extra clearance.

Here is a picture post-install that has some weight applied to the suspension.
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2L I6

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the 3rd picture labeled original. Is this unsprung? It looks like your stabilizers/jack is down in the background. In the other two pictures is the trailer jacked up the same way?

My thinking is you may have the same rate springs as far as load goes but, since there is an extra leaf, maybe the longer spring flattens out more before (i.e. it is a lower rating by itself than the original long spring) transferring weight to the other springs. This results in a longer/flatter spring when holding the static weight.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't matter what Dexters site says. Thensprings are too long! It's very obvious.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CamperWill
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I think you have 4000lb (26") springs on 3500lb axles that require 25-1/8" springs. The extra ply is a clue.

The new springs are rated at 3000lb/ea and the axle is rated at 5200lb (Dexter D52). The measurements from center of hanger to center of hanger is 29.5" and the axles measure about 33" apart on center so based on the Dexter sheet below it would be 26" springs.

2007 GMC Envoy 4.2L I6

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have 4000lb (26") springs on 3500lb axles that require 25-1/8" springs. The extra ply is a clue.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Send those pictures to Dexter and see what they say.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Springs look longer in the top picture. Hardware is very bunched up.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
My first reaction is an angle grinder to take off the lower corners. My concern is if you do that, will the end of the spring hit the grease zirk located above the shackle in the second photo.

CamperWill
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Do you have your old springs? Jack the trailer up so the new springs are unloaded and compare the length of the springs. I'm thinking Dexter gave you the wrong information.

That's the first thing we did before installing the new springs, they were pretty much identical taking into account some wear on the old ones. The only difference between the old and new spring packs is the stack height and that's just due to having an extra leaf.
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2L I6

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have your old springs? Jack the trailer up so the new springs are unloaded and compare the length of the springs. I'm thinking Dexter gave you the wrong information.

CamperWill
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
You have too long of spring installed. By comparing to a worn or flat spring for you eye to eye measuement to a new spring is where you are off.

I contacted Dexter who made the original springs and they provided me with the measurement of 26" unloaded based on the original part number and axle serial number. The replacement spring we purchased was 26" unloaded so I'm not sure that is the problem.
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2L I6

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have too long of spring installed. By comparing to a worn or flat spring for you eye to eye measuement to a new spring is where you are off.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, those new springs look longer than he old ones. I think that is he issue.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!