cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave is dead?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My GE space saver Microwave is dead I don't have my volt meter with me but I checked it is plugged in and tried all the breakers the display is not lit up.

This one does not have the convection oven but we have have a gas oven. I am thinking if it is bad I may replace it with a convection/microwave oven. This one also has a vent and light in it.

I am hoping it blew an internal fuse but I can't work on it or check it until I get back home.

The humanity I had to actually heat up a breakfast burrito with a regular oven this morning. I had to google how hot and how long to cook it LOL.

The little lady is not with me on this trip so as a 60 old Bachler I am clueless.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
9 REPLIES 9

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it was the breaker on the inverter. I had bad internet coverage at the camp ground so I didn't get to check this until now and found the inverter breaker tripped when I got home now I know what to check if it happens again. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hard to find breakers (pin style) on you inverter in a basement bay, usually on the ceiling. Use a flashlight to find all 3 of them. them
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
The power to my microwave comes from the inverter which has a separate 20 circuit breaker on the inverter. Don't about yours but take a look
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Update my daughter and grandson came to join me last night and I had them bring my volt meter the outlet is dead. I now need to do some more checking I plan to check the pedestal to see if I am getting both legs coming in but it is wet outside and I have not felt like messing with it yet. My daughter also brought my shop microwave so I cooked my breakfast burrito with that this morning. I am a retired Lineman trouble shooter so this will get figured out. We are at the dunes riding our off road machines so I am not wanting to spend much time working on the MH until I get home.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the microwave is a kitchen appliance is there any chance that the outlet is a GFCI that has tripped? Mine was plugged in inside an upper cabinet.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes the do have an internal fuse. If it needs replacement the only thing "Special" about an RV Mirowave is venting.. Microwaves come in essentally several flavors when it comes to venting.. Some vent to the front, Rear, Top or one or the other side.

Depending on how the microwave is mounted you may need to "Duct" the vented high moisture air to a specific location.

To show you how "Special" RV microwaves are.. Mine is a "Dometic" it has a metal duct to bring the venting to the front. Open the door and you find out it's an LG (Lucky Goldstar) and like all goldstar products.. I was not lucky enough to get one that worked.. So I had to do a bit of engineering and work on it. IT now works perfectly (Well... I did go to school to study electronics and engineering).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Microwaves have an internal safety (typically ceramic body) fuse. The fuse can blow for several reasons:
1. Age
2. Door misalignment, or gunk in the door switch. (The oven incorporates various safety mechanisms to cause the fuse to blow and cut off power if the door is open when the magnetron is active. Normally, a separate switch or part of the switch signals the control circuit to stop before the safety switch causes the fuse to blow, but if things are not aligned or something interferes with the sequencing, they might not activate in the proper order.)
3. Faults (mostly shorts) in the magnetron or high-voltage power supply circuit.
4. Probably a bunch of other (less common) things.

Be very careful if you open up the microwave to check the fuse. The high voltage supply is entirely capable of producing a lethal shock; it operates at a few kilovolts and a substantial fraction of an amp. Electrically speaking, a microwave is the most dangerous common household appliance to work on. The high voltage capacitor in the circuit can store a very nasty charge even when the oven is unplugged. There generally is a bleeder resistor/circuit to discharge the capacitor; however, especially as the oven is malfunctioning, it's wise to not rely on that working. There are some good safety guides available online on safely and effectively troubleshooting microwave oven problems.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
just to be certain plug a lamp, hair dryer, anything into that outlet to be sure it's hot.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Most have an internal slow blow fuse.