cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zion to Escalante - UPDATE

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Zion and heading over to Escalante in a few days. We are pulling a 34' 5th wheel. I know that we can not use Hwy 9 via the tunnel. Is backtracking on 9 to I-15N to 20W to 89S to 12E into Escalante the easiest route? Hwys 14 & 17 are shorter, but uncertain about taking a 5th on those roads?
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
10 REPLIES 10

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Thanks for the update.

Part of me wishes we wouldn't get such good news out of Utah, because I don't want anyone else to go to our favorite spots. We sure love that state.

I mean I hate it. It stinks there. Avoid UT at all costs. The place is ugly and the people are monsters.
And the campgrounds are all run down, the roads all rutted and potholed, and it's too tough to get a beer!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
For an easier drive the next time, you might want to consider doing Springdale to Hurricane and then dipping south into AZ and over to Fredonia and then back up 89A. That was a fairly flat drive if I recall.

It's about 15 miles longer than going up to 20. Just be sure not to stop anywhere between Hurricane and Kanab...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Thanks for the update.

Part of me wishes we wouldn't get such good news out of Utah, because I don't want anyone else to go to our favorite spots. We sure love that state.

I mean I hate it. It stinks there. Avoid UT at all costs. The place is ugly and the people are monsters.

X2

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
....I mean I hate it. It stinks there. Avoid UT at all costs. The place is ugly and the people are monsters.

ROFLOL!!! That's a good one!!!!!!! Carry on!!!!
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."

dedmiston
Thanks for the update.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: For anyone else who may be going from Zion to Escalante.

We took Hwy 17 from Virgin over to I-15N....then Hwy 20E to Hwy 89S.

Hwy 20 is by far one of the best roads that we have been on since leaving NC, Both the ascent and decent had a passing lane the entire time, the pavement is in VG condition and it's an easy drive. Not as scenic as Hwy 9 but 10x easier driving!!
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
riltri,
I would go through the tunnel, but your route certainly works. If I remember correctly, 14 is steeper and higher than 20. But also doable IMO (I have pulled our 22' trailer over all these roads with my poor, under powered, Toyota Tundra). How do you plan to leave the Escalante area? The prettiest way by far (well, "reasonable way" anyway) is to head NE on hwy 12 to Torrey. But, if you don't like Hwy 9 east of Zion, then you really wouldn't like that route. Awesome country. Go slow, take your time, and enjoy the journey.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
riltri, there are a lot of roads just like that highway throughout Utah and the West -- they are not bad for towing if you take it easy and use the pullouts to let the faster folks go by. Yes, I agree -- at first, twisty roads can be intimidating. But like they say, practice makes perfect. Hang in there!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
Why can't you use the tunnel?? I believe the max length is 50 feet which you should be under while hooked up. You would have to pay the $15 fee for large vehicles but that would be better than going around plus if you don't go through the tunnel you miss some pretty unusual landscape east of the tunnel.

We drove it yesterday. True that it is a beautiful drive but no way I'm pulling on that drive.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't you use the tunnel?? I believe the max length is 50 feet which you should be under while hooked up. You would have to pay the $15 fee for large vehicles but that would be better than going around plus if you don't go through the tunnel you miss some pretty unusual landscape east of the tunnel.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams