Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: P30 weld in drag link?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> P30 weld in drag link?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1993 class a p30 coach with rear disc brakes is at a shop for an alignment at the moment. They called me and said it needed a drag link because it has alot of play. I said no problem just fix it. They called me back a few hours later saying 2 alarming things;

1: Apparently these drag links on the p30s of this era vary in lengths, and the one they are providing is a cut and weld part. So i guess it comes really big, and then they chop and weld it to the proper size? I cant find any info on something like that. Supersteer offers 2 drag links for the p30 and they do specify that after 1991 there was some confusing changes. But nothing about cutting and welding stuff.

2: they also told me that whoever worked on this front end in the past used all the wrong tie rods (possibly ones from a regular pickup) and that they arent long enough to align it because there wont be enough threads to grab the adjuster sleeves. So now its getting new tie rods.

So is this cut and weld drag link really a thing? How many drag link options were there for these rigs?

1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call these people. They will have the answer and the parts.
P30 suspension parts

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, cutting and welding is not a thing.
Parts:
Henderson lineup

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sure don't want to drive my RV with a drag link that Bubba cut and welded to fit-maybe. I am near 80 and at one time was part owner of a shop that worked on those things and I never heard of such nonsense.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cut and weld the drag link. All the tie rods are incorrect? My first thought when I read that is you need to find a different shop. They are looking at the wrong parts diagram or something.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you are part of a race/design team with an on staff metallurgist who can properly heat treat your modified suspension/steering parts, the general rule is: "use them as they come out of the box." If they don't fit or look right, . . . . . get a different box. Chances are the right parts are available, but, because of the age of your vehicle, you may have to search for a while to find them.

Chum lee

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well. From Shop Class. I know that a properly done weld is often the strongest part of the rod... I also know an IMPROPERLY Done weld is.... NOT.
(Fact A welding test I took you welded two pieces of metal together then broke the weld apart to see how good you'd done... Neither I nor the Instructor could break my weld)

But for that part I'd want the weld done by a certified Aircraft Welder and X-Rayed for safety to insure it was properly done. The Shop may have the Certified technician. but I'd be real surprised if they even know where to get a joint x-rayed.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The after-market one that was installed on my rig allowed for some adjustment during alignment. Rigid welded one will not do this.

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone, i emailed the supersteer and suspension website to the service manager that ive been dealing with and he agreed that a cut and weld is wrong. He asked me to order the 93+ drag link from supersteer so i had it sent directly to the shop.

This particular shop is really popular with rv repair in my area. Im not sure why they got frazzled with this part. Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a brain fart. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got my rig back today. It got the new supersteer drag link, new moog tie rods, and an alignment. It drives about as good as a p30 ever will. I am satisfied. Hopefully i get atleast a few trips out of this repair.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> P30 weld in drag link?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.