cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing TT for 1st time and have a ??? about the toilet.

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy,

We just purchased a Springdale TT with toilet cleaning system. I flushed the line several times and still see some residue down in the line. I plan on blowing out the supply lines. Is it common to have about an inch of water down in the toilet drain?
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)
11 REPLIES 11

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all tanks are the same. My last few trailers have had the valve on the tank vs. a wet outlet pipe.

But yes, there are some with a wet outlet pipe and leaving those wet in winter could be a problem.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
bacabunch wrote:
The cleaning system, hook a hose to the outside hookup and it sprays out the black tank. The water left is in the bottom of the black tank not the bowl. Does the water ever completely drain from the black tank? Im sure im over thinking this but im sure rv antifreeze will just mix with any water residue.....

Honestly. NEVER leave the black tank completely empty, always leave a couple gallons of water in it to keep it from drying out, and causing a septic smell. I leave about 4 gal in mine with tankchem in there.

and there is no need to put antifreeze in there. Freeze damage only occurs when there is no room for the water to expand, once it starts to freeze. If you have 5 gal in a 30 gal tank. There is plenty of room for expansion.

If you have 5 gallons then your outlet pipe is likely full and when that freezes there's nowhere for it to expand to. I'd put antifreeze in, a few dollars to avoid having a burst pipe seems like cheap insurance. I say that as someone who blows out their lines because I use my trailer for extended trips well after winterizing up north and the one time I used pink stuff on there supply side my whole family hated the residual flavor even after 60 gallons was flushed through the system.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bacabunch wrote:
The cleaning system, hook a hose to the outside hookup and it sprays out the black tank. The water left is in the bottom of the black tank not the bowl. Does the water ever completely drain from the black tank? Im sure im over thinking this but im sure rv antifreeze will just mix with any water residue.....

Honestly. NEVER leave the black tank completely empty, always leave a couple gallons of water in it to keep it from drying out, and causing a septic smell. I leave about 4 gal in mine with tankchem in there.

and there is no need to put antifreeze in there. Freeze damage only occurs when there is no room for the water to expand, once it starts to freeze. If you have 5 gal in a 30 gal tank. There is plenty of room for expansion.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
To winterize the black tank flush, I attach a hose from the outside shower to the inlet. When the system is pressurized, open the shower valve and the pink stuff goes in.
If using air, just switch from city water inlet to the flush inlet.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Accidentally left black tank half full one winter, no issues simply because there was room for expansion.

A little residual water left in any of the tanks will present no issues.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Ah, you're referring to the black tank flush system. Since I don't have to winterize I can't say what I would do. But if you can see the fresh water hose up to the sprayer on the tank I would make sure there's no residual water in it.

As far as the toilet and black and gray tanks. I think based on reading here for many years that most people put a little antifreeze into the waste tanks so that it can flow down to the drain valves and protect them. As far as the tanks as a whole just drain them for winter. The residual liquid in the tanks will freeze. But since the tank is drained there won't be enough ice expansion to damage anything.

In the toilet itself most people pour a little antifreeze to cover the blade seal. Though I've also read about people using mineral oil to cover the blade seal because the pink stuff can stain the plastic bowl.

Bypass and drain the water heater. But do not put antifreeze into it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bacabunch wrote:
Howdy,

We just purchased a Springdale TT with toilet cleaning system. I flushed the line several times and still see some residue down in the line. I plan on blowing out the supply lines. Is it common to have about an inch of water down in the toilet drain?

Define toilet drain? Mine just has a straight drop to the black tank. , and yes there will be water in there. If you mean inside the bowl. Open the flapper and let it out, then put some pink in it to keep the seal from drying out
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Owned 4 trailers and have not heard of toilet cleaning system.
Make sure everything is pink with RV antifreeze and should be good.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Never did air only to winterize. The toilet has to have some RV antifreeze in the bowl.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An inch is excessive IMO. Should just cover opening valve.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad