cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How about a RGV update

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
I hear that covid19 issues are getting better in the RVG. I read that many areas are
returning to some degree of normal. Many winter Texans would begin to return in the very near future. What are you folks that are currently there seeing or hearing. Thanks for sharing any information you may have.
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member
30 REPLIES 30

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
The US land border is still closed to Canadians so the only snowbirds going south will be those who fly. On the 21st of October they will be updating the timeline. My guess is sometimes in the new year. We are hunkering down for the winter regardless of wether the border opens. Weโ€™ll wait for the vaccine or better treatment options before we travel again. A couple of months in Spain around February would have been nice though.

Except at the end of our street someone drove in yesterday with Alberta plates!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Your post seems totally unscientific and self centered at best. Plenty of RVers are affected by this virus and our friends in Canada also cannot enjoy much rving this winter without risk. Till there is a vaccine that is endorsed by the scientists then we will hunker down. Some people think that being safe is overkill but until you know someone that dies from this be it friend or family...shut up.

The vaccine you're hunkered down waiting for will most likely be 50 to 60% effective at best and will need reformulated every season as this virus mutates, just the same as all other related viruses. Then what?

As far as shutting up....No!

So you would have been ok with 2-3 million people dying? Because that is what would have happened if nothing had been done to slow down the spread and get people to take just a few basic steps, like wearing a mask, washing hands, not going to bars, etc. Arizona was able to reduce number of infections by 75% by mandating masks, closing bars/gyms, and doing more testing. A small uptick since schools started, but looks like it is returning to a downward trend.

Yes, later year vaccines will be better than what comes first - that is true for ALL vaccines. And the length of time one has immunity differs from virus to virus. Do not assume that this is anything like the flu viruses. It is different. And the transmission of this virus is on the order of the measles/smallpox, where a sneeze will linger in the air and infect people for a long period of time.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
The US land border is still closed to Canadians so the only snowbirds going south will be those who fly. On the 21st of October they will be updating the timeline. My guess is sometimes in the new year. We are hunkering down for the winter regardless of wether the border opens. Weโ€™ll wait for the vaccine or better treatment options before we travel again. A couple of months in Spain around February would have been nice though.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
The chance of you coming down with Covid19 and dying is lower than the chances of being killed in a vehicle accident on the way to an RV park.

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Yes, but a seat belt does not rule my life just the same as a virus is not going to.

In a โ€˜typicalโ€™ year some 38,000 people are killed in car crashes and another 3 million or so are injured.

This is NOT a typical year by any stretch of the imagination and itโ€™s only 3/4 over. So far 214,000 people have died and 7.75 million people have been very sick.

That 5.6 times the number of dead ....... so far........ and 2.5 times the number of โ€˜injuredโ€™ .... so far .........

You are unfortunately, I believe, correct with your assessment of coming bread lines and soup kitchens, but it will be solely because the virus was encouraged to spread by reckless behaviour and attitudes.

How true.
The US has approx 5% of the world population and close to 25% of the world wide fatal cases. I wonder why it's that way. :S

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The President proved in the last two weeks that it is a hoax. GDS along with Rush are correct. Not going to prove anything to them but I wish they could talk to my buddy's daughter.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately, the U.S./Mexico border is still very porous with people crossing back and forth for supposed "essential" travel. Americans and Mexicans who are residents of either side are crossing, workers, health workers, Mexicans with medical problems who are authorized to cross and those that know the thousands of border crossing guards that use their own criteria to let friends and family cross.

It's almost like a cross-contamination case. Both the U.S. and Mexico have the highest COVID death rates.

Live your lives as you wish, but this will only take longer. 1918 taught us a valuable lesson about pandemics; it takes about three years, people have some strange phobia of wearing a mask in public and social distancing. I believe it is an arrogance factor tempered by politics on both sides of the border. Mexico's president refuses to wear a mask and he could be next.

Mother Nature is doing her thing and viruses do have a purpose in the process. However, we can avoid a lot of it but people just don't like to be told what to do. Something silly about their rights and liberties. Nonsense.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
Your post seems totally unscientific and self centered at best. Plenty of RVers are affected by this virus and our friends in Canada also cannot enjoy much rving this winter without risk. Till there is a vaccine that is endorsed by the scientists then we will hunker down. Some people think that being safe is overkill but until you know someone that dies from this be it friend or family...shut up.

The vaccine you're hunkered down waiting for will most likely be 50 to 60% effective at best and will need reformulated every season as this virus mutates, just the same as all other related viruses. Then what?

As far as shutting up....No!

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of news articles (with real facts and some not real statements), plenty of medical resources and plenty of medical recommendations to substantiate your individual opinions. Politics should not be part of this discussion. Each individual has the right to their own health and safety without being offended that others do not concur.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
GDS-3950BH wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
The chance of you coming down with Covid19 and dying is lower than the chances of being killed in a vehicle accident on the way to an RV park.

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Yes, but a seat belt does not rule my life just the same as a virus is not going to.

In a โ€˜typicalโ€™ year some 38,000 people are killed in car crashes and another 3 million or so are injured.

This is NOT a typical year by any stretch of the imagination and itโ€™s only 3/4 over. So far 214,000 people have died and 7.75 million people have been very sick.

That 5.6 times the number of dead ....... so far........ and 2.5 times the number of โ€˜injuredโ€™ .... so far .........

You are unfortunately, I believe, correct with your assessment of coming bread lines and soup kitchens, but it will be solely because the virus was encouraged to spread by reckless behaviour and attitudes.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't heard from my classmate since Friday. She is probably dying a cold lonely death in a northern Illinois hospital. As she lays there drowning in her own fluids, I will text her how foolish she is to be scared of Covid because some guy on the Internet said it was not anything to worry about. People who don't fear it should gather in large groups, far away from those of us who think that prudence and hygiene are reasonable responses to this crazy nasty disease.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Yes, but a seat belt does not rule my life just the same as a virus is not going to. If anyone thinks some miracle vaccine will eradicate Covid 19 they're sadly mistaken just the same as the common cold or run of the mill influenza. Its here to stay.

Lockdown and hide the rest of your life if you care to,it's your choice. But then again maybe you will not have a choice, as some have already stated they are prepared to lock down the entire country if they deem it required. If that happens you can kiss this RVing goodbye. Your main concern will be getting your next loaf of bread or bowl of soup.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
GDS-3950BH wrote:

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
If you're scared lock yourself down and stay home. Simple.

Considering I now have 2 dead friends from it, I think I had better avoid driving to an RV Park. The worst thing is getting it, survviing and ending up with possible lifetime consequences.

Covid legacy