cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turned back at border

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Just on the news in Canada. a BC couple with Mexican residency cards were refused entry into the US.. They turned around to go back which meant they were in the uS for 30 seonds. Thye have now been ordered into quarantine for 2 weeks.
27 REPLIES 27

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

I think Canada has been pretty fair. They allow Alaskans to transverse Canada to get home and possibly back to the lower 48 if necessary.
As I understand they are given a specific route to travel and a tight time line to exit at a specific border crossing typically Blaine Peace Arch crossing.
There is a related story of a US couple that stopped in Vancouver for a little vacation time, in the news story..

A 3/4 of a million fine is "pretty fair"? I can see issuing a fine and prohibiting their future entry into Canada but this is just power mad.

No sweat, it is in Canadian dollars.:B If you read the article the charge was laid under an act which provides for maximum fines up to $750,000. They were told to proceed on their way. The actual court date was set for Oct or Nov depending on which report you read. At that time the fine would be set. With the border closed they have the perfect reason not to return and nothing is likely to happen unless they choose to try to return in the future. Probably would be banned.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

I think Canada has been pretty fair. They allow Alaskans to transverse Canada to get home and possibly back to the lower 48 if necessary.
As I understand they are given a specific route to travel and a tight time line to exit at a specific border crossing typically Blaine Peace Arch crossing.
There is a related story of a US couple that stopped in Vancouver for a little vacation time, in the news story..

A 3/4 of a million fine is "pretty fair"? I can see issuing a fine and prohibiting their future entry into Canada but this is just power mad.

That was a case of continued violations. Most are in the $1,200 range.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Talleyho69
From three friends who live here in Zihuatanejo most of the year and chose to return to Canada for some time during the summer months, it is very strictly enforced. One of them lives on an island that has spotty cell phone coverage, and they had to work it out or else he had to live in a hotel for the 14 days.

If you are going to require the quarantine, enforce it!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
It is self quarantine. As in your own home. On the honor system.

But they can check

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
It is self quarantine. As in your own home. On the honor system.

Talleyho69
I think that is just Canada at least for now.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quarantine?

As in report somewhere to be locked in for 14 days 24 hrs / day?

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
That was not a Border Control agency decision! That was made by the Border Guard, IMO.
They should complain to their Government in Canada.
It would have likely done no good to complain to that Guard's decision to his Superior, IMO. They have latitude in what they do on who gets to cross, who gets inspected etc. to upset or disrupt patterns at the border...then some are just AHs. Don't take what I say as final word it is just my opinon from observation.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
What goes around, comes around.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
I've read about fairness, rules, guidlines and kindness here with regard to countries. The law, is what governs entry into the United States , Canada, Mexico. We may not like it but until we get it changed, each country will dictate what their entry/exit requirements are.... by law.

I agree , stay home if you are terrified by the current situation. If you choose to travel to a foreign country, by all means, follow the laws of that country or face the consequences.

We travel to Puerto Penasco every February, we'll follow the current law at that time and if we choose not to, then we just won't go.

We have Canadian friends that own homes in Arizona, that we travel to Mexico with. We're trying to help by checking on their homes for them , as they may not make it south this year.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
People will try anything to avoid the rules or just to try and get away with it. Stay home this year, we have enough problems of our own here in Mexico.

If you're residents and have homes here or whatever and it falls under the guidelines, fine.

Just let it go. This is history in the making and we are all part of it. Read up on what happened in 1918, same thing then as now, nobody wants to be told what to do, how to do it or when to do it. It's called being human and sometimes that's not saying much.

Even though I am a Mexican resident, I am staying the winter in Canada. First of all my parents are in their 90's, the virus is not as bad here and Russian roulette is not my game. I am still hoping for a vaccine by Feb and maybe be able to come down in late spring.

BTW there are some Quebecers planning to ship their RV's across the border and then fly into the US to retrieve them. It's no wonder Quebec has the worst problem in Canada with that attitude.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
People will try anything to avoid the rules or just to try and get away with it. Stay home this year, we have enough problems of our own here in Mexico.

If you're residents and have homes here or whatever and it falls under the guidelines, fine.

Just let it go. This is history in the making and we are all part of it. Read up on what happened in 1918, same thing then as now, nobody wants to be told what to do, how to do it or when to do it. It's called being human and sometimes that's not saying much.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
There were many Americans that abused Canada's kindness. They went to Banff and other tourist areas. One couple paid a big fine.

A couple from Kentucky were fined $750,000. I think they did it twice
https://globalnews.ca/news/7289586/kentucky-man-750000-fine-canadian-quarantine-rules/