Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tow travel trailer with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
Complete newbie.
We are in the market for a 30-33’ travel trailer and planning 2 cross country trips.
We need to choose the right vehicle!
2 adults, 3 kids (ages 3-9), and 2 medium sized dogs.
How do we do this? Can we make a pickup truck work? Super interested in any experienced feedback!
I know a large SUV is an option but will not tow the size travel trailer we’re really interested in. We may have to choose this route.
I do need the dogs safe and secure!
Thanks in advance! Any tips welcome!
35 REPLIES 35

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We pull a 30 foot (officially 27 foot) travel trailer with slide with a Suburban. I added Sumo Supersprings to it. My wife does dog shows so we needed lots of climate controlled space to haul dogs. A modern Suburban or Expedition EL would do the trick. I think they come with somewhere around an 11000 lb tow weight rating.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Jas1317 wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
We do the same on a regular basis minus one dog. We have a crew cab Ram with a fiberglass cap. Our Lab rides in her crate in the back. If it's really hot then we will bring her to the back floor, but otherwise she does not seem to mind riding in the back at all! Other than that, Van, Large SUV, or Motorhome I think are your only options

This is great thank you! We looked at the GMC 2500HD today and the backseat is huge! I think we are going to do the same as you have suggested.

yes, 3 adults can be in the back of our denali CC for 600+ miles in comfort. there own climate control, lots of room. Center seat is ok, not great but still comfortable. Plenty of legroom, plenty of shoulder room and headroom. Kinda like a caddy or lincoln of the old days.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect! Thank you!!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jas1317 wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
We do the same on a regular basis minus one dog. We have a crew cab Ram with a fiberglass cap. Our Lab rides in her crate in the back. If it's really hot then we will bring her to the back floor, but otherwise she does not seem to mind riding in the back at all! Other than that, Van, Large SUV, or Motorhome I think are your only options

This is great thank you! We looked at the GMC 2500HD today and the backseat is huge! I think we are going to do the same as you have suggested.

Sure thing! Something I recommend if you go this way is to get a sliding front window in the fiberglass cap and not a solid window. This will allow you to slide that open and open the side windows and get PLENTY of airflow for the dog. I was skeptical but during our first trip I opened it up this way and was watching some tarps I had back there start blowing all around. Realized it was plenty of air flow and I needed to secure the tarps. Spring and fall when heat is not an issue I just open the side windows. I also love the bed rug we put in the bed. It gets messy from firewood but it makes the dog crate stay put and is awesome on your knees when you crawl up there. Good luck!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jas1317 wrote:
kfp673 wrote:

The separate area provided by the bed and shell allows one to isolate noisy, rattling cargo, and smelly stuff like fuel and wet dogs away from the humans.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
Since you are totally new to RVing, I suggest you go buy a book on RVing and camping. It will explain pros/cons of each style, weights, safety,
equipment, techniques, towing, capacities, etc.

AFTER you have read that and done MORE research online, THEN go looking at units. Don't buy the first one your wife thinks is pretty or is the cheapest.

Do your research and be patient. Your will be money ahead...and happier!

Thank you so much - that’s why I’m here! And I am the wife/researcher 😉 lol
Great advice 🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And OP, this subject like many has been beat to death.
Do some reading and do some research.
There are many good options. There are also many good options that don’t fit some people’s standards or opinions (many of which are subjective and unfounded).
Good luck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana 3500 6.0L/6-spd. Any 2011+ will do great up to 7k dry. Plenty of space inside to spread kids out and dogs. Nissan NV3500 is another solid choice, again, up to 7k dry TT.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a Jayco Eagle 338, 39.6 feet ball to bumper with a 3500 Chevrolet Express van for 7 years. 6.0 liter engine 6 speed transmission. 4 point equalizer hitch. Tows great, we have over 30,000 miles doing that.
We will have 2-3 grandkids and 2 80 pound dogs with us. Lots of room and with the hitch set tows great. Everything stays inside locked up and dry.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can get a body on frame rear wheel drive van with sufficient ratings, that's a good option. In the days before 4 door pickups became common, it was they typical family tow vehicle for RVs. But be careful when looking at vans, a lot of them have switched to unibody and a few full size are even front wheel drive. The other issues is payload. Those kids get bigger and 5 people can easily push 700-900lb. Add in 1200-1500 for hitch weight and all that empty space in the back of the van, it's easy to go over payload limits before you hit the tow limits.

Really the big 4 door pickups can handle 3 adults reasonably comfortably in the back seat. Gone are the days of the kids sprawling around the back of the van. As long as the dogs are crate trained, staying in the bed with a cap should work fine. Now it's easy to find a truck that can handle both the payload and tow rating.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
A full size van, E-350 or 3500 series, to tow your TT.

Ford has not made a E-Series van/wagon since 2014.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Since it sounds like you haven't even bought the trailer yet, here's something to muddy up the waters......How about a Class A motorhome? That way everyone's not crammed in their individual little spaces in a crew cab truck, and you're not having to face some of the issues mentioned with using a full-sized van as a tow vehicle. Start your adventure when you start the engine -- not when you arrive at your destination.

Now, that being said, if the trailer is your one and only option, I guess I'd opt for the full size van as a tow vehicle, but with your crew, the Class A seems like the best choice (to me). Do what's right for YOU!

Happy travels!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress