Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to tow travel trailer with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow travel trailer with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are totally new to RVing, I suggest you go buy a book on RVing and camping. It will explain pros/cons of each style, weights, safety,
equipment, techniques, towing, capacities, etc.

AFTER you have read that and done MORE research online, THEN go looking at units. Don't buy the first one your wife thinks is pretty or is the cheapest.

Do your research and be patient. Your will be money ahead...and happier!

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This summer I camped next to a large family -- 5 kids (3 teenagers, 2 younger kids) plus mom and dad.

They were driving some sprinter based class B, but they also towed a small travel trailer behind it. They said the motorhome was the "master bedroom" plus the sleeping area for the 2 younger kids, the older 3 slept back in the travel trailer.

The trailer had a big rear hatch with outdoor kitchen, so they did all of their cooking back there. First time I've seen a motorhome towing a travel trailer, but it looked like a good setup for such a large family and they said that having 2 bathrooms/showers was a huge bonus.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since it sounds like you haven't even bought the trailer yet, here's something to muddy up the waters......How about a Class A motorhome? That way everyone's not crammed in their individual little spaces in a crew cab truck, and you're not having to face some of the issues mentioned with using a full-sized van as a tow vehicle. Start your adventure when you start the engine -- not when you arrive at your destination.

Now, that being said, if the trailer is your one and only option, I guess I'd opt for the full size van as a tow vehicle, but with your crew, the Class A seems like the best choice (to me). Do what's right for YOU!

Happy travels!

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do the same on a regular basis minus one dog. We have a crew cab Ram with a fiberglass cap. Our Lab rides in her crate in the back. If it's really hot then we will bring her to the back floor, but otherwise she does not seem to mind riding in the back at all! Other than that, Van, Large SUV, or Motorhome I think are your only options

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

A full size van, E-350 or 3500 series, to tow your TT.

Ford has not made a E-Series van/wagon since 2014.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can get a body on frame rear wheel drive van with sufficient ratings, that's a good option. In the days before 4 door pickups became common, it was they typical family tow vehicle for RVs. But be careful when looking at vans, a lot of them have switched to unibody and a few full size are even front wheel drive. The other issues is payload. Those kids get bigger and 5 people can easily push 700-900lb. Add in 1200-1500 for hitch weight and all that empty space in the back of the van, it's easy to go over payload limits before you hit the tow limits.

Really the big 4 door pickups can handle 3 adults reasonably comfortably in the back seat. Gone are the days of the kids sprawling around the back of the van. As long as the dogs are crate trained, staying in the bed with a cap should work fine. Now it's easy to find a truck that can handle both the payload and tow rating.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

John Burke

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing a Jayco Eagle 338, 39.6 feet ball to bumper with a 3500 Chevrolet Express van for 7 years. 6.0 liter engine 6 speed transmission. 4 point equalizer hitch. Tows great, we have over 30,000 miles doing that.
We will have 2-3 grandkids and 2 80 pound dogs with us. Lots of room and with the hitch set tows great. Everything stays inside locked up and dry.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana 3500 6.0L/6-spd. Any 2011+ will do great up to 7k dry. Plenty of space inside to spread kids out and dogs. Nissan NV3500 is another solid choice, again, up to 7k dry TT.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And OP, this subject like many has been beat to death.
Do some reading and do some research.
There are many good options. There are also many good options that don’t fit some people’s standards or opinions (many of which are subjective and unfounded).
Good luck!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDman wrote:

Since you are totally new to RVing, I suggest you go buy a book on RVing and camping. It will explain pros/cons of each style, weights, safety,
equipment, techniques, towing, capacities, etc.

AFTER you have read that and done MORE research online, THEN go looking at units. Don't buy the first one your wife thinks is pretty or is the cheapest.

Do your research and be patient. Your will be money ahead...and happier!

Thank you so much - that’s why I’m here! And I am the wife/researcher [emoticon] lol
Great advice [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow travel trailer with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.