cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Living space

gfrm568
Explorer
Explorer
I have been investigating class c motorhomes for my wife and I.

I am surprised that even if designed for two people, they have so much "seating" and such little working and storage space for cooking.

It would seem to me that the swivel driver and copilot chairs should be sufficient for two people.

If we have a guest or two while stationary, would not folding chairs be more than sufficeient- and for us if we don´t feel like using the swivel chairs.

And as for cooking, it is an activity we both enjoy and one of the reasons for having an RV kitchen is to enjoy your own cooked meals and keep costs down.

As you may guess, I have never experienced RV life but only the two of us will be travelling.

So, the question is:

Are there class c motorhomes that have larger kitchen areas in lieu of so much seating.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mondocker asked ,
" What is the real difference between the Forester and Sunseeker? I read somewhere the Forester has more bells and whistles and upgrades. Is that right?"

Short answer ...yes. However, most SS rvs made are built with many of those options, so check prices bc they are going to be close at times , then decide what's important enough to you as options desired.

I copied some answers from various posts made by owners like myself.
I have a SS with many options.
Mine had the upgraded Serta pillowtop which is very comfortable as well as cedar closets. Some other options that the SS did not have was the wood grain dash inserts and upgraded sideview mirrors, which I think are powered.
Something that my SS floorplan 2350 has is the ability to heat all my plumbing, below both sinks and cabinets as well as the water pump.
I have digital thermometers installed in all those locations and they read the same as my main cabin thermostat. The shower lines run thru a heated inside wall as well. I never worry about how cold its going to be which works well bc I'm usually camping along the US/Canadian border in various states where the nights dip down and the days warm up.

List of differences posted by various F/SS owners :
Body skirt paint
Standard fiberglass running boards
Solid surface kitchen counter top
Cedar lined wardrobe cabinets
Woodgrain dash fascia

1. Soft ceiling
2. LED lights, some of which are flush mount (although, I have heard rumors that Sunseekers are starting to come with flush mounted LEDS but not sure if true or what kind)
** " IT's true I have them ".
3. Outside light on driver side rear
4. Partial lower paint (although you can get full body paint on the sunseeker)
5. Different color/fabric choices
6. SS has no outside shower
7. SS has no black tank rinse, both are options .
*. SS does have FULL SPARE TIRE and tows 7500# . Brake controller is optional to tow a trailer with brakes.

Hope this info is helpful,
Stay safe,
Bob

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
gfrm568 wrote:

I am surprised that even if designed for two people, they have so much "seating" and such little working and storage space for cooking.

It would seem to me that the swivel driver and copilot chairs should be sufficient for two people.

If we have a guest or two while stationary, would not folding chairs be more than sufficeient- and for us if we don´t feel like using the swivel chairs.

And as for cooking, it is an activity we both enjoy and one of the reasons for having an RV kitchen is to enjoy your own cooked meals and keep costs down.

As you may guess, I have never experienced RV life but only the two of us will be travelling.

So, the question is:

Are there class c motorhomes that have larger kitchen areas in lieu of so much seating.

Thanks
Check out the Coachman Leprechaun 319MB. It has a lot of counter space and the dinette is directly across from the stove. My wife uses our table like an island when she is fixing meals. One of my gripes with RV's in general is the location of the living room TV's seems like an afterthought. With our 319MB we sit directly across from the TV. The floorplan also has a lot of storage for a class C. My only complaint is the shower is too small but other than that it is a great floorplan.

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
gfrm568 wrote:

So, the question is:

Thanks
We have a Coachman Leprechaun 319MB and for us it was the best flooeplan. It came with covers over the sink and with the TV lowered its a good size countetop. The table is directly from the stove and my wife uses it like an island when cooking. We have the swivel seats and while they are OK for guests I wouldn't want to use them as our primary seating. Both the sofa and optional recliners Coachman offers are uncomfortable. We ended up putting in a new love seat with power recliners and heated seat. The seating is directly across from the TV no looking sideways to watch TV. We looked at a lot of floorpalns before we purchased this one. I will also say build quality on the Leprechaun is excellent. We have not made any trips back to the dealer for repairs. Leprechaun MB319

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always thought one reason that kitchens weren't bigger, is that many, if not most people, do a lot of outside cooking and eating.
As far as seating, my Forester front seats don't swivel, so they generally get used for storage/catch-all while set up.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi jimbo4UT , Good for you on your selection! And you’re right, paying close to MSRP is about as close to insanity as one can get. I wonder if the dealer thinks if you pay more it will depreciate less? My golly, you pay $40,000 more for a motorhome and you’ll never come out alive.

What is the real difference between the Forester and Sunseeker? I read somewhere the Forester has more bells and whistles and upgrades. Is that right?

Good for you jimbo4UT, you got what you wanted at the price you wanted and that ain’t bad!

Update: Just found out the MSRP of the Forester is $5000.00 more than the Sunseeker.

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Forest River Sunseeker 3010DS. It has the largest kitchen we could find in a class C - it's the same floor plan as the Leprechaun 319MB but has more bells and whistles than the leprechaun. We compared both and Forest River was hands down better for us. Solar, 2 AC units with shedding system. 10.7 refrigerator (12 volt only) are just 3 items that the leprechaun we looked at did not have. I looked around and got a great deal. Not every dealer holds out like the one close to me did. I had to drive 120 miles to get mine but saved close to 40,000 so I call that a win for me.

PS It didn't help that the Leprechaun we were looking at was 45 miles from our house and the dealer said "only have this one and won't see another for months so were holding out for close to MSRP" maybe he got it I have no way to know but if you look at what the Leprechaun calls full body paint it a tan color with a white truck compartment. It not really even nice looking - looks like they forgot to finish it at the factory. Mine has full body paint.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi gfrm568, I don’t know the size of Class C you are looking for but here are some to look at for you large kitchen. These are in no order of preference, just coaches that offer large kitchens. These coaches also offer a lot of space with the slides in.

• Entegra Esteem 29V
• Forest River Forester 3011DS
• Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

There are others as well but these three are well known and respected Class C’s and hopefully will give you a start.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
My class C has an 11”x42” counter top right next to the sink & the fridge is directly across the hallway. It is one of the reasons I like the floorplan.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an uncomfortable u-shaped dinette in my C. I removed the cushions , i used the OEM plywood platforms to bolt down the round swivel pedestal bases of 2 gaming chairs from Amazon . I was able to keep the table in place and the comfort of the reclining high back gaming chairs is awesome for eating as well as tv viewing, not to mention a nap.
If i sell the rv, it can be sold with the chairs or the OEM u dinette. The base wood framework was not altered. I still have the exact same foundation for storage. I even have more storage bc i can access the compartment below the dinette window much easier to use it now. The chairs are light and can be lifted while attached to the plywood to access storage below.

BTW, i found extra seat belts tucked away that were hidden under a board below the dinette that were previously not visible to me. The number of persons my rv sleeps matches the number of seatbelts.
Previously i had posted that i did not have an equal amount of belts, so i stand corrected. Someone here had posted that the sleeping / seatbelt number should match on all rvs , you are correct. :C

Giantex 360 Degree Swivel Gaming Chair Floor Chair, 6 Positions Adjustable Backrest, Mesh Fabric, Sturdy Iron
use conduit 'c' clamps around the tube base to secure the base to the plywood. Swivel the seat so you access a drill to install.

ybconway
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if it can be done but I'll be looking at changing the "nook" to two swivel chairs. Our Forest River 24C has a full 30" slide which gives lots of room in the kitchen area but still the counter area is small.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
That deal applies to them all even class A----must think everyone either has 5+ kids or takes the whole neighborhood. I wanted an American Eagle and every one I looked at had 2 couches facing each other. Keep looking they are out there.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you rented a C for a week or so? That’s the best way to see if you have enough or need more...seating, counter space, cabinets etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at class c's and didn't see much seating at all. Driver and passenger seats most always are down in a hole. The couch or the booth which is not too comfortable. I would like to see some with more seating. To each his own but if you want more room you need something bigger.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Find one with an outdoor kitchen.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE