Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should I buy a Class C or not for this specific situation?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Should I buy a Class C or not for this specific situation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
jefffoxsr

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
We have owned a 5th wheel, travel trailer, and truck camper in the past. We have wanted to buy a used class C for about 10 years but have not done so for the following reasons:

1. We would have to buy one for about $30,000 max and as a result would have to get one that is many years old (8 to 10 is my guess). I am very worried that it would be difficult to sell it when the time comes because it likely would be 15 years old after 5 years or so of ownership. What are your thoughts about this?

2. As a result of having to buy a unit about 10 years old (due to budget constraints) I worry that it would need a lot of repairs both inside and mechanically and therefore would be troublesome and costly. What is your experience with units 10 to 15 years old?

I want to thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me. It is very helpful to me and greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Jeff Fox

Jeff Fox

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff,

Class C are seldom the manufactures high end and as a result are prone to water leakage. No matter what you look at, if it shows or in any way evidences water leakage, walk away.

Good used coaches are out there, but they are hard to find and you must do a search campaign.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jefffoxsr

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you very much.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a shorter class A. With driver and passenger seats turned around, you'll utilize 100% of the space up there vs a class C, thus you can get a shorter unit.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you keep it in good shape, I don't think there would necessarily be a huge drop in value between ten and fifteen years of age. At both those ages, the condition matters at least as much as the actual age. For sure, in absolute dollars, a brand new RV is going to lose a whole lot more value five years on than a ten year old one--and I suspect the same is true even as a percentage of what you pay.

As far as maintenance and repairs go, the house part of most any RV does require ongoing maintenance and the occasional repair. Appliances can wear out, of course, but the majority of work is more along the lines of handyman jobs and resealing stuff. The van chassis on most class C's tend to be pretty reliable and trouble-free, aside from the usual expected wear items like brakes and hoses and belts and so forth. My class C is over twenty years old now, and over the six or so years I've owned it the main repairs I've had to make to the chassis have been brake work (sticky calipers needed replacement), ball joints (the seals wore out, letting the permanent lubrication escape), and shock absorber replacement. All of them I'd categorize as wear items, though admittedly not especially inexpensive ones.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If $30k is your max, then buy accordingly and don't be concerned about resale at this point.

All RVs need constant upkeep, IMHO, so be prepared to deal with things as necessary. I've purchased used Class A, C, and FWs, and had typical repairs for a transmission, fridge, AC, slideouts, etc. Unless money is no object, it's good to have some minor electrical and plumbing skills so you can get by on the road.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How handy are you? If your not handy, and can't do your own repairs, you can end up paying more than a newer model anyway.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also start off with an even older unit in good shape for its age and pay $10 thousand for that, leaving $20 thousand for maintenance. IMO that would be smarter.

Might have to spend $2 thousand a year so after 5 years you still have $10 thousand and whatever you can get for the old C. If anything big went wrong you would still have some in the piggy bank to cover it.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 02:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting concern.
Your due diligence when purchasing is still required. No different than any other purchase.
The house is really not much different than any of your other RVs with respect to the electrical and mechanical systems and the chassis and drivetrain is just your basic ford or Chevy.

It’s evident that budget is a real concern (not downplaying that ) so IMO, don’t think what’s the max you can spend, but rather how little you can spend to get something acceptable to you. Less you spend, more you have in your pocket afterwards and consequently the less impact financially some repairs will be to you.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me at that price range, I would look for an older high end Class A versus a Class C. A 15 to 20 year old high end Class A will LIKELY have a better exterior than a Class C 10 to 15 years old. A Class A diesel coach has engine and transmissions that are built to last longer than the typical Class C. Obviously there are exceptions to both styles. Just saying don't limit yourself to just Class C in your search.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Should I buy a Class C or not for this specific situation?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.