Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Quality of Forest River
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Quality of Forest River

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

icodeintx wrote:

What is the steel wool for?
Mostly to fill the hole, also to slow the mice chewing.


2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel


Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/11/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

icodeintx wrote:

What is the steel wool for?


It gives the mice a bad taste in their mouths.





goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd pic shows discoloration on the luan wall. Water leak?

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty much the ENTIRE RV INDUSTRY SHOULD BE ASHAMED AT THE QUALITY OF CONSTRUCTION THESE DAYS !

Demand is up. RV are selling like proverbial "hotcakes" ! Quantity over quality !

Some of it is bad design, some of it is bad manufacturing. When you are spending $20K-$50K for a TT would you pay and extra $5K for a 3 year "bumper to bumper" warranty ? I really do believe that around $5,000, mostly in roofing, seams and windows and doors, is all that it would take to make a much more "durable" TT !

Wiscampsin

Wisconsin USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

icodeintx wrote:

What is the steel wool for?
Mostly to fill the hole, also to slow the mice chewing.


Don't use steel wool as it will rust over time. Use stainless steel wool available at WalMart by the kitchen sponges.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/11/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wiscampsin wrote:

bukhrn wrote:

icodeintx wrote:

What is the steel wool for?
Mostly to fill the hole, also to slow the mice chewing.


Don't use steel wool as it will rust over time. Use stainless steel wool available at WalMart by the kitchen sponges.


I did some research on the forum a few years back and found that mice and rats did chew thru steel wool but that the Copper Mesh stopped them completely,they really don't the taste.


2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C


theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

I'd pack it full of course steel wool then cover it with spray foam.

Stainless steel wool if you can find it !

icodeintx

Bryan

New Member

Joined: 06/18/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/12/20 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is good to know. I'll look for that and hope that I don't have a mice problem to begin with. Is it common for mice to get into the basement areas of 5th wheels? I'll put some traps in there if so.


IAMICHABOD wrote:

Wiscampsin wrote:

bukhrn wrote:

icodeintx wrote:

What is the steel wool for?
Mostly to fill the hole, also to slow the mice chewing.


Don't use steel wool as it will rust over time. Use stainless steel wool available at WalMart by the kitchen sponges.


I did some research on the forum a few years back and found that mice and rats did chew thru steel wool but that the Copper Mesh stopped them completely,they really don't the taste.



Scott D - Desert Storm Veteran

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/13/20 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

2nd pic shows discoloration on the luan wall. Water leak?

I saw that too... better check it out.


Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

icodeintx

Bryan

New Member

Joined: 06/18/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/13/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

2nd pic shows discoloration on the luan wall. Water leak?

I saw that too... better check it out.


Thanks, I looked into it and couldn't find any leaking area. On the other side is the shower and I can see where the previous owner put a lot of sealant on the door against that wall. So I'm hoping it was something from the past. I will be keeping an eye on it though. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Quality of Forest River
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.