cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lift

Mkewley
Explorer
Explorer
So what would be the best way to get the rear end of my class c higher off the ground?
I like to travel off road and done want the back end dragging when going over rougher roads.
Thank you
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mkewley wrote:
Not trying to off road it. Just some of the gravel roads have a few places that the rear end gets really close to the ground and just would like a few more inches. Not about to put a whole suspension lift.

Then throw some airbags or add a leafs on it.
But what youโ€™re not divulging or donโ€™t understand is whether your rig is sagging from โ€œoriginalโ€ or unloaded ride height or if itโ€™s already sitting where it should be on the springs.
If the first scenario, then add ons will help with height and likely the handling. If the latter, youโ€™re just screwing up the suspension geometry and making the rear suspension unnecessarily stiff.
So provide some real info and maybe you can get a valid solution.
If you donโ€™t know, then we canโ€™t help you and you need someone who understands to look at it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
pnichols wrote:
bobndot wrote:
memtb wrote:
pnichols wrote:
The best way to lift everything (suspension, transmission, engine, shock mounts, etc.) higher is by installing taller tires.

I did this on our Class C years ago to provide more clearance when we occasionally go on dirt/gravel backroads. Our Class C's chassis is the Ford E450, so it has plenty of extra fender tire well room for tires that our larger in diameter than what came stock on it.

pnichols, has โ€œnailed itโ€! The chassis/frame/body are generally the contact points on irregular terrain.....the only way to address all of these is taller tires!

Awaiting my newish ( on unit when we purchased) tires to wear out or โ€œdate expireโ€.....will be going taller, for sure! memtb

What tire size ?
Will you need to adjust the speedometer ?
Will they fit the wheels already on the truck ?
You will need to upgrade the spare too.

7 tires and maybe wheels ? How much height is the expected gain ?

On Ford E350 and E450 based Class C motorhomes, it's real simple to go to larger diameter tires: Our E450 Class C came with 225/75R16E tires. By just changing out to 215/85R16E tires I was able to increase ground clearance by 0.6 inches (the 215's tire diameter was 1.2 inches larger), keep the stock rims, and keep the same rated tire loads and pressures. The speedometer reads about 1.2 MPH slower, but this is of no concern. I didn't want to go to any larger diameter tires so as to keep the step-up into the cab from being much higher.

Some Class C owners posting in the forums change to 235/75R16E tires to gain even more ground clearance without changing rims or losing load capability. I'm not absolutely sure, but maybe even 245/75R16E tires could be fitted onto the Ford E350 and E450 chassis to really gain ground clearance without rim, loading, or pressure changes.

Probably speedometer error can be corrected by Ford dealers or 3rd party ECU tuning equipment suppliers, if one is concerned with speedometer errors.
Phil, did you notice any increase in your MPG with larger dia tires?

I don't track MPG, so I don't know.

It did reduce engine RPM just a bit when cruising on the highway, so maybe in those conditions MPG would/should be improved. Of course it does change the difference in overall drive ratio between the Ford E350 chassis and Ford E450 chassis due to their rear differential gearing (4.10:1 on E350, and 4.56:1 on E450).

FWIW, larger diameter tires also improve tread wear somewhat because each square inch of tread surface contacts the road surface less times per mile.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
bobndot wrote:
memtb wrote:
pnichols wrote:
The best way to lift everything (suspension, transmission, engine, shock mounts, etc.) higher is by installing taller tires.

I did this on our Class C years ago to provide more clearance when we occasionally go on dirt/gravel backroads. Our Class C's chassis is the Ford E450, so it has plenty of extra fender tire well room for tires that our larger in diameter than what came stock on it.

pnichols, has โ€œnailed itโ€! The chassis/frame/body are generally the contact points on irregular terrain.....the only way to address all of these is taller tires!

Awaiting my newish ( on unit when we purchased) tires to wear out or โ€œdate expireโ€.....will be going taller, for sure! memtb

What tire size ?

On Ford E350 and E450 based Class C motorhomes, it's real simple to go to larger diameter tires: Our E450 Class C came with 225/75R16E tires. By just changing out to 215/85R16E tires I was able to increase ground clearance by 0.6 inches (the 215's tire diameter was 1.2 inches larger), keep the stock rims, and keep the same rated tire loads and pressures. The speedometer reads about 1.2 MPH slower, but this is of no concern. I didn't want to go to any larger diameter tires so as to keep the step-up into the cab from being much higher.

Some Class C owners posting in the forums change to 235/75R16E tires to gain even more ground clearance without changing rims or losing load capability. I'm not absolutely sure, but maybe even 245/75R16E tires could be fitted onto the Ford E350 and E450 chassis to really gain ground clearance without rim, loading, or pressure changes.

Probably speedometer error can be corrected by Ford dealers or 3rd party ECU tuning equipment suppliers, if one is concerned with speedometer errors.
Phil, did you notice any increase in your MPG with larger dia tires?

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 winnebago 30 ft.i found my air bags lifted the rear of my rig 4 in enough to back up into my side yard with a tow bar staying attached.i run the bags at 100#..just enough clearance.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pnichols, thank you for the tire info. The scan gauge or gps can be used as a speedometer.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
caution, tires need to be able to flex WITHOUT rubbing each other. 19.5's would probably require special wheels to allow and then would cause potential issues with the fender walls. Same thing could be true with larger 16's, I dont know if the new duallys have 17 or 18 inch wheels but maybe you can check and see fitment?

Check with someplace like ARROW wheels they would be a good source for information.

Mkewley
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to off road it. Just some of the gravel roads have a few places that the rear end gets really close to the ground and just would like a few more inches. Not about to put a whole suspension lift.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Cheapest and easiest. Add a leaf or two and maybe a spacer block. New spring bolts required.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
pnichols wrote:

Yep ... taller tires provide more clearance for everything in one swoop ... a very simple way to do it ... assuming wheel wells provide the clearance and assuming that the front suspension allows it with no rubbing on full lock turning! Another plus in raising ground clearance this way is that it keeps raising of the vehicle's center of gravity to a minimum - which is always good for several reasons.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
memtb wrote:
pnichols wrote:

What tire size ?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go to a place that does 4WD conversions for a class C. This is really a comprehensive engineering project to get it right.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
pnichols wrote:

What tire size ?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What he said.
And also not practical for a C chassis. As in expense.
Canโ€™t shove a square peg thru a round hole.
But you could do or buy a 4wd conversion, again, what are you willing to pay?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taller tires and a real lift kit (all 4 corners). The lift kit would include front springs, rear leafs, longer shocks and any necessary front suspension parts.