Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
bgum

South Louisiana

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not only trucks but campers as well. Peoples wages have not increased that much. There must be a shift in spending or a increased lack of saving. I sense that people are living only for today and not planning for the future. The price will be paid when employment ends. People are already saying "I can't pay my bills ". If that is so they need to reduce their bills before that time comes.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/11/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

It's not only trucks but campers as well. Peoples wages have not increased that much. There must be a shift in spending or a increased lack of saving. I sense that people are living only for today and not planning for the future. The price will be paid when employment ends. People are already saying "I can't pay my bills ". If that is so they need to reduce their bills before that time comes.


With a large percentage of the population now receiving government wages and/or benefits, there is no need for them to save a dime. They live for today and will receive pensions and benefits for life. Those on the opposing team must live like rats so they have a chance of keeping their home once they are too old to work.





Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

It was 42 years ago today, seems so long ago, yet still a strong memory in my head, a milestone I reached in my humble beginnings into the home renovation industry building solariums and such.

Yes, it was on this day, October ten, nineteen seventy eight when I had been only 4 years into my lifetime career when I worked my way to being able to purchase my first brand new truck!

Yup, 10-10-78 I drove off the lot of Phillips Chev - Olds in Penticton BC driving my nice shiny new 78 Chev 3/4 Ton Camper Special.

As I pulled out of the lot and turned left on to Westminster Ave and headed east towards home, I though I had lost my marbles, that I am a total idiot.

Who in their right mind would pay $7714. For a new truck. All taxes, fees, dealer prep and all the rest of the junk in came to $8,109.70 out the door...... Bob, you are out of your mind! I kept saying to myself. Financed it on the never never plan I did. How will I ever pay for it? I was barely 24 years old.

It was a great truck, I had it for 26 years and about 527,000K on the odometer when I retired it, still in decent shape.

Hmmmmm......

42 years later, my 2007 truck in sig is getting worn out. 408,800K on the clock and I am eyeing the shiny new trucks on the lot.

92 grand $$$$$$$ for something similar with a few more bells and whistles.

No, just no! That's what, about a dozen times the price I paid back then?
Gosh how can they justify that?

Wow! Just wow. Amazing how expensive pickups have become. All these fancy gizzmobops they have, someone has to pay for all that I guess..

Guess I'll just keep fixing what I have. It was $1423.77 yesterday for a water pump and a U-joint. Expensive!

Oh well, that's life! [emoticon]

My story of the day.


That's funny.... My first 1 Ton was a 1977 4 door dually, Chev, with the 454. Purchased in 2001 or 2002 - paid $5000. Wonder what that sold for new in 1977... Kept it a few years then sold it for almost what I paid for it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

I loved my 1978 Chevy Cheyenne 3/4 ton 4x4 400 cid built in Fremont but could have had a Corvette for that price - $6500. 3800 pounds of payload. Carried my TC with ease. Current truck is a “low level” LTZ but I still don't use all the bells.

[image]


Shows how uninformed some are.
If one thinks 3800lb payload in a 1978 3/4 ton truck is acceptable yet somehow today it is not, you are delusional.
And as a card carrying weight cop here, Lwiddis, you are showing you don’t understand but only believe what you read.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today's work truck grade has more standard features than those '70's trucks and a work truck grade like a Ford XL, Chevy Custom Deluxe, and Ram Tradesman model is probably in line cost wise too.

Also todays truck is the family vehicle. To add injury to insult the American auto industry gave the car market to the Japanese and Koreans.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


bob213

Fresno, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's just the DEMAND for pickups that drive their price. It's crazy that you can buy a Class C motorhome for close to the same price as a fully dressed pickup. Since we keep buying them the price will keep getting higher. I have a 2005 GMC Duramax with 43000 miles on it. Sure do like the new ones but with an average of less than 3000 miles a year I just can't justify it.


You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, the answer is simple.
Regardless of the currency. The $8k truck back then is equivalent to $40k today.
IF you could buy a new truck with the same pathetic (by today’s standards) power and features as that old truck, it would not cost a penny more than that. Maybe less.
But once you pay for the advancements and more power/ efficiency / greater reliability of even a stripped down truck that has more than the old one, you’re over the $40k by a little.
The rest is optional. What do you think a 400hp, 1000ft lb rated to tow 30klbs truck with all the current available amenities would have cost back then? Well it want actually available, but the cost of a decked out 1970s semi tractor would be about the closest comparison.

Statements like the OPs are timeless. I say the same thing. However it’s all relative.
No one is singing the praises of being able to buy a 60” flat screen for a fraction of what was comparable in the 70s. No one is in awe of how fuel prices generally haven’t out paced inflation. Or the fact that you can get handheld electronic anything for pennies on the dollar compared to the past.
Bottom line new trucks aren’t more expensive, new features, capability and luxuries are though. (Even though some of those things were forced on the industry and the consumers)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

It's just the DEMAND for pickups that drive their price. It's crazy that you can buy a Class C motorhome for close to the same price as a fully dressed pickup. Since we keep buying them the price will keep getting higher. I have a 2005 GMC Duramax with 43000 miles on it. Sure do like the new ones but with an average of less than 3000 miles a year I just can't justify it.


Especially since it’s something you rarely use. But yes popularity and demand are also a factor. Albeit Only a minority part of the whole pie.

NJRVer

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 05/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/11/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

It was 42 years ago today, seems so long ago, yet still a strong memory in my head, a milestone I reached in my humble beginnings into the home renovation industry building solariums and such.

Yes, it was on this day, October ten, nineteen seventy eight when I had been only 4 years into my lifetime career when I worked my way to being able to purchase my first brand new truck!

Yup, 10-10-78 I drove off the lot of Phillips Chev - Olds in Penticton BC driving my nice shiny new 78 Chev 3/4 Ton Camper Special.

As I pulled out of the lot and turned left on to Westminster Ave and headed east towards home, I though I had lost my marbles, that I am a total idiot.





Who in their right mind would pay $7714. For a new truck. All taxes, fees, dealer prep and all the rest of the junk in came to $8,109.70 out the door...... Bob, you are out of your mind! I kept saying to myself. Financed it on the never never plan I did. How will I ever pay for it? I was barely 24 years old.

It was a great truck, I had it for 26 years and about 527,000K on the odometer when I retired it, still in decent shape.

Hmmmmm......

42 years later, my 2007 truck in sig is getting worn out. 408,800K on the clock and I am eyeing the shiny new trucks on the lot.

92 grand $$$$$$$ for something similar with a few more bells and whistles.

No, just no! That's what, about a dozen times the price I paid back then?
Gosh how can they justify that?

Wow! Just wow. Amazing how expensive pickups have become. All these fancy gizzmobops they have, someone has to pay for all that I guess..

Guess I'll just keep fixing what I have. It was $1423.77 yesterday for a water pump and a U-joint. Expensive!

Oh well, that's life! [emoticon]

My story of the day.



You must have bought the "Silverado" trim to pay that much.
Our family bought stripped down 1978 C10 "Big 10" model for about $5000 out the door.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2005

View Profile



Posted: 10/11/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Sure, prices have gone up but so has our wages.
If only! I picked the wrong line of work for income growth; my income is lower now than it was 20 years ago. Good thing we got the mortgage paid off, or we'd be hurting. Oh well, it's work I enjoy, so I just keep telling myself it's about quality of life and not money.


Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.