Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Those simple no frills trucks are available, but consumers simply don't buy them.
Lots of business buy the plain white vinyl seat trucks that are considerably cheaper. But consumers gravitate to Platinum, Denali, High Country, King Ranch etc.
Plain Jane is not very popular.

This happens with cars as well. Tesla makes a plain Jane 35000 dollar model 3 but sells very few. People are willing to pay more 3 or 4 grand more for the upgrade stereo, lighting package, performance. Heated rear seats etc.

Marketing is key.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The top of the line trim package is something I find fairly easy to justify. I’m looking at pricing on a new Ram and struggle with paying $2500 to upgrade from the regular Cummins to the high output. Then they want $1500 for adding air ride.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the end of the day we balk at the prices and claim we want a cheaper truck. However when a considerably cheaper equally capable no frills truck is presented, Most buyers turn there nose up and prefer the more costly models.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last truck was an XL trim and my current one is a Tradesman, so I am one of the few exceptions that stays away from from high priced gadgetry.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

You are right as rain, and used trucks are no better.
I bought my first pickup for $3,300 in about 1974. It was a Chevy Luv with an Isuzu engine and a 4 speed and 2wd. It went everywhere.

I just saw a 2002 Ford diesel go fro $35 k.

If one of the car makers figures out that there is a market for simple trucks at a lower price they will sell all they can make. I don't need a backup camera, blue tooth and adjustable pedals. I would buy a truck with vinyl floors and seats if the drivetrain was good.

That’s what I purchase, my first truck, 1972 GMC half ton, 250 cu. in. 6 cyl. three on the tree and was $2,500.00, my present truck 2015 GMC 3500 HD dually was $40,000. Both trucks are base trucks and do everything I need my truck to do.
If I want fast and fancy that’s what my car/SUV is for.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

The top of the line trim package is something I find fairly easy to justify. I’m looking at pricing on a new Ram and struggle with paying $2500 to upgrade from the regular Cummins to the high output. Then they want $1500 for adding air ride.

I'm surprised to hear that the HO Cummins is that much more. Does that include the Aisin transmission?

A buddy of mine just bought a 2020 Ram 3500 Megacab Limited with Aisin and air ride; listed at $102k and I believe he got it for around $80k. I wanted to kiss my 2013 after hearing that! [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck + RV + Boat = a lifetime of hard work to get there. Truck was $40k 14 years ago, RV was $60k 2 years ago and the new boat was $80k 2 months ago.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that the HO Cummins is that much more. Does that include the Aisin transmission?

A buddy of mine just bought a 2020 Ram 3500 Megacab Limited with Aisin and air ride; listed at $102k and I believe he got it for around $80k. I wanted to kiss my 2013 after hearing that! [emoticon]

Yep that includes the Aisin. It is based on the Canadian price list. The regular Cummins/68rfe is a $9500 option and the Aisin HO Cummins is an additional $2500. I think it would be very seldom that I would even notice the additional power. Seems like most of the high end trucks on the lots are ordered in with the HO.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rate of inflation plus new gadgets like cameras, power mirrors and everything, plus govt safety like airbags. Take them all into consideration, to buy a basic truck like 40 years ago the new one is $ less and will last longer, resale much better.
My '07 classic chevy LT trim ext. cab 8' bed lbz diesel listed $53k in '07' bought $38k cash. Still resales privately for near 20k with 180000 mi.
Thats less than $ 1500/ yr depriciation adjusted for inflation. Am not planning to sell it, but the new bug is biting.

I do have a different philosophy and approach to finance and vehicles. In business, my accountant advises when to sell, replace.

Resisting the bug for new comes down to need, or reliability. Needs change, reliability is relative. Where once upon a time a truck with as low as 80k was done ( circa 1960s) , we now can depend on 250 - 400k mi. even more with dependability. Shouldnt that be that a factor in your decision to keep, trade or sell?
My truck has not been without off warranty issues, An idler pulley, a couple of glow plugs, thermostats, blown tranny oil line. I pulled the wrenches at home.
In 13 years its been to Chevy once, 2 years ago to update the computer when it repeatedly showed a code for excessive EGR (402) It was a fault in the after turbo exhaust temp sensor. $32 part I changed it.

Searching for a new truck equal locally or better shows price icash price $62-66 k After negotiation, that should be around $ 50-52 k Never have I paid or will pay ' documentation fee, extended warantee, or any other dealer add on. Do that on your own or with aftermarket suppliers.

State your price, stand by it. Walk Run if you have to.

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

Interesting thread. I have taught Dave Ramsey FPU for ten years. He has good advice on personal finances. We have paid cash for all vehicles since 1992.

We bought the new fifth wheel and gas F250 this year. I ordered and got a good price by flying to Houston, picking up the F250 there and the fifth wheel on the way back in Las Cruces. This is probably the last RV (three prior class A RVs, last one a 40DP with a Cummins 400ISL) and most likely the final truck.

I like the gas engine. About 80% DD and 20% towing. Yes, it does rev higher on hills towing, but it is rated for 26K GCWR and does fine at 21K. The TFLTruck F250 pulled 16K up the IKE (to 11,000 feet at Eisenhower Pass). My truck rated the top of the gassers for TFL on the IKE. I pull 14K up and down the coast of CA and it does fine.

If you tow heavy and often, you should have a diesel. If you are like me and tow low altitude and a reasonable load with a ten speed tranny and 4.30 rear axle, you will be fine with a gasser.

Best,

Crespro

Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.