Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uuuugggggg! [emoticon]

This whole thread is what keeps me asking my mechanic how much longer can he keep my 1995 GMC Z71 4X4 running well and reliably. So far he says "no problem" on keeping my baby in relatively good shape.

Of course The State of California keeps sending me enticing mailers offering to buy it off me for around $1000 so as to "get it off the road" ... I haven't yet asked them to give me a newer GMC at an across-the-board trade as a replacement truck in order to "get my 1995 off the road".

I have no interest whatsoever in paying almost half what I have left on my home's mortgage for a new truck!!!!!

(Of course I could raid my IRA for a new truck, but then again dog food and reuse of disposable diapers in a rest home dump later in life isn't a very attractive alternative.)

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My SIL is still driving my old ‘93 GMC 6.5 turbo diesel cc 4x4. I think it handles and rides better than my 2017 Ford and it’s still a very nice looking truck. I’d like to see him get another 15 years out of that truck.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the saga continues. As long as Americans are willing to pay the crazy high prices, the manufacturers have no problem supplying their needs. Much like we are all willing to pay for poorly constructed RV's made of shoddy materials -- we don't resist, so the manufacturers keep them rolling off the assembly lines.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Of course The State of California keeps sending me enticing mailers offering to buy it off me for around $1000 so as to "get it off the road"

You live in a state that forcibly removes money from taxpayers and then hands it over to others causing more demand and higher prices on new trucks? How is this theft legal? Why do people live there?

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I just bought the truck in my sig this May for $37k with 81k miles on it. When it was new, the sticker on it was $63k. If you build/price a 2020 with the same features it's $70k.

That was a pretty good deal on the 2015! I would not give my 2015 away for that amount.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it!

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

And the saga continues. As long as Americans are willing to pay the crazy high prices, the manufacturers have no problem supplying their needs. Much like we are all willing to pay for poorly constructed RV's made of shoddy materials -- we don't resist, so the manufacturers keep them rolling off the assembly lines.

Truth, but what options do you really have? I can't stand being nickel and dimed or worse with an older vehicle with a bunch of miles on it either. Travel trailers are definitely as you described, then you think spending $45000 for a bumper haul gets you a "much" better unit and end up having some of the same issues. Crazy, buyer beware!!

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are various factors that go into the cost and price of a vehicle that many people do not understand. There are project budgets, R&D, labor, materials, sales estimates, environmental regulations, and much more. You have to get a rough idea of what all this is going to cost and how many you are going to sell to configure a budget for vehicle model. This will tell you where to allocate the money for your research and development(R&D).

One huge factor that gets applied right off the top is environmental regulations due to CAFE and carbon credits. If the cooperate average fuel economy numbers are below the government regulation, then that company has to either buy credits from other companies like Tesla and such or pay hefty fines. Either way, it will cost them tens/hundreds of millions of dollars which gets spread across the vehicles they make.

Then you have other regulations like government mandated ABS, air bags, roll over pillars, stability control systems and most recently back up cameras. These used to be only for high end trims/packages, but now they are required standard by law. There is also fuel economy and emissions regulations which eat up a lot of (R&D) money as well which in turn is spread over the whole model.

In regards to trucks, a lot of R&D money is spent on making it "best in class" useless 30k tow ratings which gets spread across the trucks in that model. Not only that, but it eats up a lot of the initial budget that can be spent elsewhere like making it more fuel efficient or more reliable. Hence the reason why I find it useless because I know that it is utilizing money that can be spent on making other things that most truck owners buy even better, but instead is used to beef up numbers that less than 5% of your customers will use.

Of course, technology eats up a lot of the budget as well which is why those high trims and tech packages cost so much. Labor and material cost is always increasing with inflation so the cost will keep going up in these areas unless for some odd reason worker demand less pay and/or benefits.

A1ARealtorRick is right that we only have ourselves to blame. As long as the consumer keeps demanding more power, more capabilities, and newer models then the prices will keep going up. It used to be that the makes didn't change the truck models that often so they were able to keep costs lower. But with today's competitive environment, truck makes have to come out with major changes and more power/capabilities with new models every decade or so just to compete which costs a lot of money. If truck consumers were not demanding so much stuff gripping over who has better what and were happy driving a truck model that spans 15 years or more instead of needing to have a major overhaul every 8-10 years, then the costs to make these trucks would be much lower.

So what will it take to lower truck prices...... Stop demanding model changes or complete updates ever 8-10 years. Stop demanding more power than you will need (more power can be had aftermarket anyway). Stop caring about "best in class". Stop caring about tow ratings that you will never tow. Stop demanding more tech. Stop voting in people that make EPA CAFE requirements so strict. Stop demanding more pay for the same work(it increases inflation and cost of goods) Stop....... you get the picture.

* This post was edited 10/17/20 12:31pm by ShinerBock *

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Of course The State of California keeps sending me enticing mailers offering to buy it off me for around $1000 so as to "get it off the road"

You live in a state that forcibly removes money from taxpayers and then hands it over to others causing more demand and higher prices on new trucks? How is this theft legal? Why do people live there?

Well, we kindof keep on living here because - not considering forest fires and earthquakes - we have:

1. A home worth into 7 figures, but with a mortgage left on it of only 2-3 new Ford 1-ton dually pickups.

2. Property taxes based on our home's value 41 years ago that are allowed by law to increase only around 1%-2% a year.

3. Several beautiful 100+ year old redwood trees surrounding our well and spring water sources.

4. Several decades-old fruit trees we eat off of.

5. Temperatures so nice that we never have to winterize our RV.

6. An old spring water filled swimming pool that we exercise in -> kept toasty warm by solar panels.

7. A wonderful blue sky forest filled rolling hills view I'm looking out at as I type this (until the trees maybe burn down).

8. An orchard area often occupied by coyotes, turkeys, deer, and wild boar ... in addition to various wild hawks in the sky above.

9. A country store two miles away where they know us by name and that is stocked with every food item we need if we don't care to drive into town to save a buck.

10. A state government that watches after the little guy instead of the big guy - so long as the little guy will eventually be content to sign their life away to make the payments on a battery powered Ford 1-ton dually pickup.

11. A polling place one mile away located in the recreation room of a decades-old still operating white country church with a bell tower that still chimes.

12. Our kids living close by - one in our back yard and one only a few miles away.

13. World class medical care minutes away.

14. A home insurance company that - at no additional premium charge - will dispatch a private fire fighting company to protect our home should those forest filled rolling hills ever start coming towards us in flames.

All that being said, for some strange reason we still love leaving our home to go on RV trips! [emoticon] [emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Well, we kindof keep on living here because - not considering forest fires and earthquakes - we have:

1. A home worth into 7 figures, but with a mortgage left on it of only 2-3 new Ford 1-ton dually pickups.

2. Property taxes based on our home's value 41 years ago that are allowed by law to increase only around 1%-2% a year.

3. Several beautiful 100+ year old redwood trees surrounding our well and spring water sources.

4. Several decades-old fruit trees we eat off of.

5. Temperatures so nice that we never have to winterize our RV.

6. An old spring water filled swimming pool that we exercise in -> kept toasty warm by solar panels.

7. A wonderful blue sky forest filled rolling hills view I'm looking out at as I type this (until the trees maybe burn down).

8. An orchard area often occupied by coyotes, turkeys, deer, and wild boar ... in addition to various wild hawks in the sky above.

9. A country store two miles away where they know us by name and that is stocked with every food item we need if we don't care to drive into town to save a buck.

10. A state government that watches after the little guy instead of the big guy - so long as the little guy will eventually be content to sign their life away to make the payments on a battery powered Ford 1-ton dually pickup.

11. A polling place one mile away located in the recreation room of a decades-old still operating white country church with a bell tower that still chimes.

12. Our kids living close by - one in our back yard and one only a few miles away.

13. World class medical care minutes away.

14. A home insurance company that - at no additional premium charge - will dispatch a private fire fighting company to protect our home should those forest filled rolling hills ever start coming towards us in flames.

All that being said, for some strange reason we still love leaving our home to go on RV trips! [emoticon] [emoticon]

Sounds nice. Sooooo, got a little chunk of that open for the winter where the wife and I can park our pusher for the winter? I can keep your grass cut, clean up under the fruit trees, I can sing a little, wife tells good jokes. Just sayin. [emoticon].

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^
Seems like a win/win to me!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.