Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Groover wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

You've got plenty of good reasons to stay, however, but the mass exodus from the state that we have all been reading about says something about the overall desirability of it. I know you can buy homes there pretty cheap, right?? [emoticon]

This coming from a realtor on the coast? I guess that it is all relative but I just saw an add down the beach from you a bit in Mexico Beach for a 0.1720 acre lot on the canal. $64,900! No structures! That is $377,325 per acre! I would sell 20 whole acres for that price where I live. That is why I don't live on a coast.

Yup, people can ASK whatever they want to, but what will it really SELL for, if at all? The stories I could tell you!!

Around here, much like about anywhere, acreage that's not on the coast is very reasonably priced.

Yeah ... and a lot of the acreage that's on the coast better be a bit above the coast if you want your grandkids to inherit acreage that's not underwater. [emoticon]

For long term living it's all a tradeoff ... so pick your poison:

1. Do you want land that will eventually have water on top of it?

OR

2. Do you want land that may wind up all black because the green stuff on it burned up?

OR

3. Do you want land that may wind up at crazy angles because the ground got all shook up?

OR

4. Do you want land this right in the middle of busy roads, other dwellings, close fire and police stations, crime hotspots, and only enough square inches in size to plant a dandelion plant on it?

OR

5. Do you want land with high winds, lightning storms, no obtainable underground water, rattlesnakes, scorpions, sagebrush, and desert bluffs for a view?

OR

6. Do you want land that's most of the time too hot to go outside during the day?

OR

7. Do you want land outside a small town - with none of the above - but otherwise often inhabited by too many folks on drugs or messed up with other downside issues?

I guess that's the most wonderful thing about RV'ing with or without a toad ... one can change "the land they're on" whenever they want. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Cristian123

Phoenix, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thread! Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm thinking about buying another truck. A new one is expensive, and having used a loan payments calculator, I found out that I'd repay such a loan in five years. So, I'm not sure that a new one is better than a used one, but in a good condition. And I do understand that I would never sell a truck at the same price as I bought.

* This post was edited 11/25/20 07:04am by Cristian123 *

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a good plan is, if you are on track with your retirement savings and can afford to buy a new truck then buy a new one and trade it every few years to keep it relatively new, or, If you can’t afford to do that, then buy a 10 year old truck and trade it every few years for a 10 year old one again until you can afford new.... unless you want to buy a new truck, keep it for 20 years then, move into your 3x7 hole in the ground.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think a good plan is, if you are on track with your retirement savings and can afford to buy a new truck then buy a new one and trade it every few years to keep it relatively new, or, If you can’t afford to do that, then buy a 10 year old truck and trade it every few years for a 10 year old one again until you can afford new.... unless you want to buy a new truck, keep it for 20 years then, move into your 3x7 hole in the ground.
Mine will be 20 years next March. No plans to sell. Right now I plan to pull my trailer to AK with it when I retire in maybe 7 years.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ so your plan is to keep it going till they drop you in a hole and throw dirt in your face?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes my plan is actually for my truck and myself to live forever.
So far the plan is working great [emoticon]

Actually if there becomes available an EV truck or MH that works for me.... I might just retire the Old Man.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought our truck six years ago ... good price. At 56K miles, most of those camping or traveling, we expect this to last another ten years or more. We drive our 4cyl runaround in town, so truck either camps or sits, but for an occasional material pickup and drive it once in a while to keep everything operating properly if it sits a while.

We would never pay the kind of price new truck cost now, and much of the cost sits in things we don't need or want. Safety features may be worth it - but much of the cost is unnecessary for what we do - camp!! It gets us there, gets us home. Feet still work in between.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are right as rain, and used trucks are no better.
I bought my first pickup for $3,300 in about 1974. It was a Chevy Luv with an Isuzu engine and a 4 speed and 2wd. It went everywhere.

I just saw a 2002 Ford diesel go fro $35 k.

If one of the car makers figures out that there is a market for simple trucks at a lower price they will sell all they can make. I don't need a backup camera, blue tooth and adjustable pedals. I would buy a truck with vinyl floors and seats if the drivetrain was good.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 05 chev 3500 dually duramax runs better that the day we left the lot in Dec of 04 and still feels new when we tow so guess who is not buying a new chev or any brand. 111000 miles. We have a TT now so not many rv trips planned.

chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those simple no frills trucks are available, but consumers simply don't buy them.
Lots of business buy the plain white vinyl seat trucks that are considerably cheaper. But consumers gravitate to Platinum, Denali, High Country, King Ranch etc.
Plain Jane is not very popular.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.