cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hauling a Honda 3000

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is Kayteg that hauls his Honda 3000 on a cargo carrier mounted to the front of his truck.
I have wanted to do that for a while. Without pulling a trailer, I have no place to put the generator and sometimes you don't want to pull a trailer.

I bought a front hitch mount from Etrailer. It came right away.
I watched the installation video on their website and installed mine. I did need help lifting it into place but it could probably be done with just one person.

Here is the video on this page.

https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Receiver-Hitch/Draw-Tite/65078.html

Here are some pictures.

Kayteg, how did you secure your 3000 to the carrier? Did you do anything to help deter theft?
Zulu

35 REPLIES 35

specta
Explorer
Explorer
ranholago wrote:
I don't know about the price of the 2002 Generac back then, but right now mine is running along fine. I keep threatening to remove it at the first sign of a hiccup but it keeps purring. Just got back from a trip to the eastern Sierras. Ran fine, and was handy to just push the button and off it goes. Really it was no louder than any of the other generators being used during generator hours at the camp ground, and we had some pretty pricey rigs around us.

One of my favorite options. :B

Soo easy even a caveman can start it. 😉
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the price of the 2002 Generac back then, but right now mine is running along fine. I keep threatening to remove it at the first sign of a hiccup but it keeps purring. Just got back from a trip to the eastern Sierras. Ran fine, and was handy to just push the button and off it goes. Really it was no louder than any of the other generators being used during generator hours at the camp ground, and we had some pretty pricey rigs around us.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I heard the option cost back in 2002.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Onan seems to be better than Generac, who is $4500 worth piece of garbage.

Generacs are $4500??
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Onan seems to be better than Generac, who is $4500 worth piece of garbage.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
zulu52 wrote:
I don't have a generator compartment.

I do. :B And I keep my generator in it. 😉
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a ladder on the rear and deep pockets,RotoPax is the way to go...My rear compartment holds 2 gallon containers and I just wire the door open a little for venting..

Been playing with items I already had around the garage and came up with this Redneck way to carry gas..Hey,it works...That particular container fits in my rear side compartment.

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a generator compartment.
Nor a rear bumper.
But I could add another cargo carrier to the rear hitch. I've done that before but it really makes getting in and out of the rear door an issue.

I guess the concern has to be someone running into you from the rear or me running into someone else in front.
Given those two choices, I think I would rather put my trust into my own driving rather than trusting the driving of someone else behind me.

I can't be one of the few people that ever thought about this.
Zulu

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
zulu52 wrote:
Kayteg,
How do you haul your gasoline?
Putting it on the front cargo carrier appears to be the only option.
I cringe a bit at that thought.

Any body else? How do you haul a 5 gallon gas can if you aren't pulling a trailer?

Zulu

I mounted a RotoPax bracket on the rear bumper of my camper and carry 2 RotoPax gas cans. They are leakproof and locked onto the bracket.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
zulu52 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Looks like good work.
I've seen some articles about cannons lately. Maybe from THC. You all done with them?
PM if you prefer.

I'm done with the Alamo cannon. Now I have some time to finally use my truck camper. It's been too long!
Zulu

Thanks for your contribution to Texas history! My ancestors missed the Alamo but made up for it at San Jacinto. My David Cole was one of the five that "captured" Santa Anna.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can carry 3 2.5 gallon gas cans plus other stuff in my generator compartment when I have the generator on the front rack
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled factory generator and the compartment would fit 1 -5 gal and 1-2.5 easy.
Was even thinking about lowering compartment floor for fitting more cans, but with Honda efficiency that never was needed even in 115F weather.
For colder day - filling up generator tank was all needed as that would last for 4-5 days of using coffeemaker, microwave and charging.
If you don't have that option - I would not hesitate to stand 5 gal can on the bumper and rope it to the ladder.
That might by questionable by the law, but what isn't ?

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg,
How do you haul your gasoline?
Putting it on the front cargo carrier appears to be the only option.
I cringe a bit at that thought.

Any body else? How do you haul a 5 gallon gas can if you aren't pulling a trailer?

Zulu

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if they still do it, but they used to shoot cannons on weekends at Fort Ross.